Luther Maddy

btowngopher

Reaction score
I don't get why Kill isn't going after Estime's teammate. We could use a DT and I think he actually looks like a solid prospect from the film I've seen. He was committed to Marshall at one point already and is visiting VT along with Estime.

I don't get why Kill isn't going after Estime's teammate. We could use a DT and I think he actually looks like a solid prospect from the film I've seen. He was committed to Marshall at one point already and is visiting VT along with Estime.

I thought I read where Kill has said that he really isn't looking to add a scholarship DT this season. I would probably be more comfortable adding one, but we have 4 decent RS FR who will likely end up at DT (Tauaefa, Botticelli, Legania, Ferguson) and 2 SO's (Jacques and Hageman).

I think with our current depth issues because of reduced scholarships, Kill is kind of planning on filling some more pressing needs than DT.

I think you are right, but sometines that logic seems a little rigid given how many openings we still have, unless Maddy does not fit our system at all.
I am not sure offering Maddy would have kept those kids from VT, at this point it is at least a B grade helmet school.

I am not sure offering Maddy would have kept those kids from VT, at this point it is at least a B grade helmet school.

Is there really scope creep on what constitutes a Helmet School?

Is there really scope creep on what constitutes a Helmet School?

I wouldn't call VT a helmet school. Definition of helmet school is one which almost all fans can immediately identify the school based on the helmet. Definitely not true with VT (not to mention their conference is a horrible football conference just above the Big East). Plus I don't think their history compares to the helmet schools - at least before Beamer arrived in the late 80s. About 80% of their All-Americans were the 80s and later.

How stupid do you have to not be able to identify Virginia Tech by their helmet they have a huge VT on them that's it that's all just saying if that's the definition they are indeed a helmet school.

There is a difference between looking at a helmet, seeing VT and thinking that it makes sense that it would mean Virginia Tech, and instantly recognizing a team logo even if you are a marginal fan.

I would argue that in the last decade Virginia Tech has made a name for themselves so unless you are routing for Montana St. I think it's safe to say you would recognize Virginia Tech if you were just flipping through the channels.

Top Bottom