Lunardi - Gophers are One of First Four Out

VarmintKong

Reaction score
Watching ESPN and Lunardi had us listed as one of the first four out of the tourney. Looks like we are back on the bubble.

We were not even on his bubble before the Purdue game. This team is proving that they are pretty talented and deserve to be in the tournament (based on recent play). I am sure he is taking into consideration all of our close losses. I think that with 21 wins we will be in with an outside shot of getting in with 20.

Need to raise our RPI some...IMO..but Lunardi knows a lot more that me.

but does a 1st round BTT bye hurt us?

Losses to good teams in conference tournaments do not hurt you. Win against good teams can help you. So getting a bye and losing to Wisconsin would not hurt us.

Wins against bad teams in conference tournaments do not help you. Losses against bad teams can hurt you. So not getting a bye, and beating Penn State and losing in the second round to the 3 seed does not help us.

All other things being equal, in terms of helping or hurting a resume.

Winning the 6-11 game and then losing the 3-6 game = losing the 4-5 game

but does a 1st round BTT bye hurt us?
No, it helps you. Winning a game against IU or PSU won't help your resume at all. You'll be fresher for the next game and will have no chance of suffering an embarrassing upset loss.

No, it helps you. Winning a game against IU or PSU won't help your resume at all. You'll be fresher for the next game and will have no chance of suffering an embarrassing upset loss.

I was kind of wondering the same but this makes the most sense.

W Help More Than L Do

Gophers need to W as many games as they can. 22 W on March 14 = NCAA bid.

Anything less = bubble.

gbm

Need to raise our RPI some...IMO..but Lunardi knows a lot more that me.

Raising our RPI will not be easy by beating Michigan (150) and Iowa (193). We need a meaningful win or two in the BTT to improve our RPI much.

Lunardi knows more than me too.
:)

Top Bottom