LSU versus Iowa ... Who Do You Want To Win?

LSU versus Iowa ... Who Do You Want To Win?

• Iowa

Votes: 25 69.4%
  • LSU

Votes: 11 30.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

I expect LSU to win, but go Big Ten. I appreciate what Clark has done to help elevate Big Ten WBB on the national stage. Unlike the Ohio State stars of nearly the last 20 years (Davenport, Lavender, Mitchell), Clark and Iowa have delivered in the NCAA tourney. I hope that Clark’s success makes it more likely that other elite Big Ten area recruits will follow her lead and choose Big Ten schools. A second Clark-Iowa Final Four would be good for the Big Ten.

Frankly neither! But since that won’t work, Iowa, but only if it leads to a Clark Bueckers match.

Other than that, one is going to lose, so I can’t go wrong ! 🥳

99% of the time, I root for my conference rep to win, so I'm rooting for Iowa. I know that Clarks on-court antics can be irritating, but no worse than some other ultra-competitive athletes we've admired over the years. I would say that, overall, she has been a great rep for womens basketball on and off the court.

99% of the time, I root for my conference rep to win, so I'm rooting for Iowa. I know that Clarks on-court antics can be irritating, but no worse than some other ultra-competitive athletes we've admired over the years. I would say that, overall, she has been a great rep for womens basketball on and off the court.
Not to mention if you can shoot from the logo, there is no such thing as on-court antics. I am a fan of Angle Reese too. Maybe if Draymond could increase his range.....

An ending like this classic 2004 Summitt v Mulkey v referees contest would be much appreciated

I agree, but oddly I still can’t stand her! 🙀

Who hates Iowa*? I hate Iowa*! Sorry Caitlin...

*(University of Iowa Athletics)

Maybe Clark can finally earn the "greatest of all time" that so many have already bestowed upon her.
Usually athletes have to win at least one championship to even be in the conversation.
She never even won a high school title.

Maybe Clark can finally earn the "greatest of all time" that so many have already bestowed upon her.
Usually athletes have to win at least one championship to even be in the conversation.
So, if she transferred to UConn and played with 8 WNBA players instead of 0 at Iowa, would she have become a better player somehow? Individuals impact outcomes way more in basketball than in other sports, obviously, but it's still a team game. Being in a title game with the roster Iowa had last year and looking at a Final Four with this one is pretty wild. The hype is in overdrive, and I understand some backlash to that as an IA hater generally, but we've not seen anyone do the things she's doing. (the high school title note is objectively wild though lol)

I like Diana Taurasi's description of Clark as the alien. Her circumstances at Iowa make it really hard to compare her to the all-time greats from the dynasty programs. Clark is safely described as the best Big Ten WBB player of all time, but on a national basis, really hard to place Clark.

Breanna Stewart, who was truly great at UCONN, is frequently nominated as the GOAT. Every year of Stewart's career at UCONN (4 NCAA titles), she played with two other top 10 players (1st or 2nd team AA chosen before the NCAA tourney), and 5+ McDonald's HS All Americans. Clark has never played with even one teammate in either category.

When you look at tonight's games, you can see how fish-out-of-water Iowa and Clark are. LSU will play 5 McDonald's HS All Americans tonight (out of 7 who will play), USC will play 4 McD AAs (out of 8), and UCONN will play 4 McD AAs (out of 6). Iowa will play 1. Also, one of LSU's 2 non-McD AAs who will play and both of UConn's non McD AAs who will play went to high school outside of the US, and thus were ineligible for McD AA.

Last edited:

LSU is annoying, and their coach is annoying. LSU has 2 new starters that transferred from other programs, so they had a good recruiting year.

Iowa plays with the players, that they have had on their roster for years. If Iowa can stay out of foul trouble and can hit some 3's, they will win. I love the way that Iowa plays basketball.

Regardless of who wins, watch the post-game interviews. LSU will talk about themselves, and Iowa will compliment the other team.

Oh so you're clamoring for a return to the days where half the top 10 recruits go to UConn, they go 41-0, win the title, claim best ever, rinse and repeat? That wasn't a good era for women's college basketball.

Oh so you're clamoring for a return to the days where half the top 10 recruits go to UConn, they go 41-0, win the title, claim best ever, rinse and repeat? That wasn't a good era for women's college basketball.
No. I'm not clamoring for anything. Championships are usually factored in when debating great athletes. I find it interesting that does not seem to apply here.

I hate to admit I was rooting for Iowa, LSU is a clown show. The fast play of the Hawks and transition basketball is fun to watch. Also, what can you say about Clark that hasn’t t already been said. Along with her three point barrage her passing is unreal. That being said, I’m glad she is gone after this year!

I hate to admit I was rooting for Iowa, LSU is a clown show. The fast play of the Hawks and transition basketball is fun to watch. Also, what can you say about Clark that hasn’t t already been said. Along with her three point barrage her passing is unreal. That being said, I’m glad she is gone after this year!
That LSU team is about as unlikeable as any team I've ever watched. As much as I hate Iowa, and I do hate Iowa, a part of me didn't hate seeing LSU lose.

Thinking back to when Iowa signed Clark and she said her goal was to take Iowa to the Final Four. That's the sort of thing might expect a recruit to think but not say out loud if they were going to UConn, Stanford, SC or ND (where I thought she was going). Thought at the time that seemed unlikely but, damn if she didn't do it twice and not surrounded by a team full of McDonald all-Americans. She stayed at home with non-elite Iowa while Bueckers went the guaranteed Sweet Sixteen every year route with a shot at the Final Four cooked in at UConn.

Thinking back to when Iowa signed Clark and she said her goal was to take Iowa to the Final Four. That's the sort of thing might expect a recruit to think but not say out loud if they were going to UConn, Stanford, SC or ND (where I thought she was going). Thought at the time that seemed unlikely but, damn if she didn't do it twice and not surrounded by a team full of McDonald all-Americans. She stayed at home with non-elite Iowa while Bueckers went the guaranteed Sweet Sixteen every year route with a shot at the Final Four cooked in at UConn.
It hasn't been an easy road for UConn this year. That team of 6-7 active players have played with a lot of guts and grit.

It hasn't been an easy road for UConn this year. That team of 6-7 active players have played with a lot of guts and grit.
Agreed, especially with starting 2 freshman, even if they were both McDonalds AAs.

I'm a fan of Clark for staying home and playing for the local university team, when she had every reason to leave. I wish we could have said the same of the Minnesota-born players who left the state for other venues. I'm not a fan of Iowa, but I want Clark to have great games and ultimately get rewarded for staying home, which trumps my hate of Iowa. When she leaves, I'll go back to Iowa hate once again.

I'm a fan of Clark for staying home and playing for the local university team, when she had every reason to leave. I wish we could have said the same of the Minnesota-born players who left the state for other venues. I'm not a fan of Iowa, but I want Clark to have great games and ultimately get rewarded for staying home, which trumps my hate of Iowa. When she leaves, I'll go back to Iowa hate once again.
Way to go hog farmer ladies. Ground it out, played tough, didn’t back down. I’ll go back to hating Iowa later, but for tonight I liked the grit and the win.

Clark had courage. It takes no courage to step into a privileged and elite program.

Top Bottom