Lourawls "Tum Tum" Nairn commits to Michigan State

So your saying we will hear of him? Maybe, after all Kansas will hand the spot to him. They only recruited two point guards this year .

Oh I see. Well Frankamp is a pure shooter basically and Mason is not a real threat. Unless Tharpe is terrible he will be their point guard this year. Have no clue what point you were trying to make here.

Obviously, but it was pretty apparent that we weren't going to get him. The discussion centered around the question of where would you prefer he go if he doesn't end up at the U. I don't understand how a "Gopher fan" can hope a recruit goes to a conference rival if he doesn't go to the U. I want to beat our conference rivals, so why would I hope they end up with a player that we really wanted?

Assume we miss out on the Big 3, are you really telling me the Gophers are better off with all 3 of them going to Big Ten rivals? In-state or out of state, it is better for us if our rivals don't load up on talent, especially players we were trying to get ourselves.

I hear you. If we miss out on the Big 3, I really hope they go to a school that we won't have to play against. In this particular instance though, I'm glad he chose MSU because that means MSU won't offer our next top PG target, thus making it more likely that we actually get him. Nairn going to Oklahoma would have made it that much harder to get LaChance. I also personally like having a strong conference, so other teams getting talent is okay with me (as long as it isn't guys that we wanted), but I get where you're coming from.

MSU has now recently signed three players that were close to being Gophers or actually signed on as a gopher in Tum Tum, Gavin Schilling and Alvin Ellis. Sucks.

MSU has now recently signed three players that were close to being Gophers or actually signed on as a gopher in Tum Tum, Gavin Schilling and Alvin Ellis. Sucks.

Wow, I almost forgot about Alvin Ellis already. I'm honestly not too bummed about losing Schilling and Ellis. Losing Tum Tum hurts a lot more.

I would have liked to see Ellis stick around. Didn't seem like Pitino was too worried about Ellis or Foster leaving.

Interesting God told Tum Tum to go to Michigan St. to be a back up for 2 years, rather than come be an instant starter at Minnesota or Oklahoma. All part of God's plan? lol

Tum Tum is going to start from day 1 in EL. Appling is graduating after this year. That's a pretty shallow comment Miles T. Don't knock someone on their personal beliefs. It's a bummer he didn't come to the U but he handled his recruitment with class all the way throughout.

Interesting God told Tum Tum to go to Michigan St. to be a back up for 2 years, rather than come be an instant starter at Minnesota or Oklahoma. All part of God's plan? lol

I don't think he would start at MN, where would we put him? Not saying that he wouldn't play, but our back court is looking pretty deep.

Don't want to get in the middle of this, but I think he wanted him to go there if and only if he chose not to be a Gopher. Pretty sure he wanted him to be a Gopher first.

Thank you. That's correct.

We'll now get to see first hand whether missing out on Tum Tum was really that big of a deal.

I don't think MSU is a bad spot for Nairn at all. In fact, I think they have been struggling to recruit lately and Nairn will see a good chunk of PT right away if he proves capable (i.e., not a bust like Isaiah Dahlman). If you look at past MSU rosters, such as 2009, they had a lot more talent than the MSU roster will have next season when Nairn joins - they had 5 or 6 solid top-50 recruits on that team (Lucas, Allen, Summers, Morgan, Roe ... Gray also was top-50 and played about 10 mpg) in addition to a 2009 NBA draft second-round pick and Walton who was a great glue guy ... not to mention future NBA'er Draymond Green as a frosh and another good frosh in Lucious. Look at next year, they definitely lose G Appling and F Payne have potentially at most Harris and Dawson as their only former top-50 recruits and nobody else was particularly close except maybe Nairn. Big step back in talent and quality depth for MSU compared to what it used to be, so yeah I see Nairn as having a fairly easy path to PT at MSU provided he isn't a bust.

Agree that next year could or likely will be a step back for MSU. Harris likely won't be back, and they lose a lot of key players. Of course, a "step back" for an MSU, OSU, etc., is relative, because those programs are heavyweights pretty much every single season. A step back probably means not getting to the 2nd weekend of the NCAA tourney.

This topic needs to die. Best of luck to Tum Tum.

Riley LaChance, you're on the clock.

Lots of MSU recruits don't pan out or end up on Izzo's bench for 2-3 years, just ask the Dahlmann kid. He's got a great program and can pretty much get any kid he wants, an absolute master of recruiting. Elite history in Lansing, can't compete with that until a foundation is built here. Richie will get there, he seems to have that "it" quality. His style of play will draw kids here once they do well in next March in the NIT. Go Goph's!

Oh I see. Well Frankamp is a pure shooter basically and Mason is not a real threat. Unless Tharpe is terrible he will be their point guard this year. Have no clue what point you were trying to make here.
Neither do I.;) I guess maybe that the kid hasn't showed star quality and it wasn't a great loss for the U. But your right about him being their starter. With Wiggins they really only need him to take care of the ball. You wonder how Kansas keeps getting all these stars probably going back to the days of Wilt Chamberlin.

Lots of MSU recruits don't pan out or end up on Izzo's bench for 2-3 years, just ask the Dahlmann kid. He's got a great program and can pretty much get any kid he wants, an absolute master of recruiting. Elite history in Lansing, can't compete with that until a foundation is built here. Richie will get there, he seems to have that "it" quality. His style of play will draw kids here once they do well in next March in the NIT. Go Goph's!

I wouldn't call Izzo a master of recruiting. He got Nairn because he whiffed on Tyus and Ulis.

Well, I'll agree with you in the sense that it's hard to get top-100 players immediately for new hires. Other than Calipari I can't think of any coaches to bring in more than one top-100 prospect (that wasn't already committed to the school) in that very first class that signs in the fall/spring after they join the team.

Top Bottom