Louisville transfer Zach Price to visit Minnesota UPDATED: U not interested in Price

Unfortunately, it's a matter of perception. the so-called "big 3" has been hyped for so long that people just assume they are the greatest players in the world, and Petino is a failure if he can't recruit them.

In reality, Petino was always going to be behind the 8-ball, based on when he took the job. Established coaches from national powers like Duke and Carolina have been recruiting these kids for years - but Petino jumps in here late and he's supposed to overcome that disadvantage by the virtue of his magic powers?

And - this may heresy to some MN homers - the "Big 3" are very good players - but there are other very good players in other states, too - and some of those players may be more willing to consider the Gophers.

One more thought - some players just want to get away from home, and away from the parents/friends/local yokels.

Unfortunately, it's a matter of perception. the so-called "big 3" has been hyped for so long that people just assume they are the greatest players in the world, and Petino is a failure if he can't recruit them.

In reality, Petino was always going to be behind the 8-ball, based on when he took the job. Established coaches from national powers like Duke and Carolina have been recruiting these kids for years - but Petino jumps in here late and he's supposed to overcome that disadvantage by the virtue of his magic powers?

And - this may heresy to some MN homers - the "Big 3" are very good players - but there are other very good players in other states, too - and some of those players may be more willing to consider the Gophers.

One more thought - some players just want to get away from home, and away from the parents/friends/local yokels.

It's a myth you have to start recruiting these players when they're in 3rd grade. 7 months is more than enough time for all but a small fraction of recruits. If he's going to get them, he'll get them.

It's a myth you have to start recruiting these players when they're in 3rd grade. 7 months is more than enough time for all but a small fraction of recruits. If he's going to get them, he'll get them.

+1

*palm to face*

Nice soapbox. Where does Zach Price fit into this?

I gotta disagree with this. I feel like you need a couple of years recruiting these kids these days. If you're not getting to them early on someone else is. Kids like to be recruited, and often times they remember the schools that started recruiting them early on. Sometimes it's the school they are interested in ad sometimes it's the coach. I don't support recruiting kids before they are in high school, but if you want top tier talent you got to start early. There are always exceptions to the rule. I just don't think you can successfully recruit the vast majority of high school kids for less than a year and have consistent success at it. That's why you see some coaches going after kids before they get to high school. If I were a player being recruited by a bunch of colleges and someone jumped in at the last minute I would be thinking "why did it take you so long to recruit me, these other schools recognized my talent long before you did. Do you really believe in my talent or are you just following along with everyone else."

I'm not looking to get into a pissing contest with anyone about this. Just my opinion. Thanks for reading.

It's irrelevant where Price was rated in high school now. He's been a big stiff in college so far, and clearly felt he would not be good enough to play significant minutes at Louisville in the future.

I gotta disagree with this. I feel like you need a couple of years recruiting these kids these days. If you're not getting to them early on someone else is. Kids like to be recruited, and often times they remember the schools that started recruiting them early on. Sometimes it's the school they are interested in ad sometimes it's the coach. I don't support recruiting kids before they are in high school, but if you want top tier talent you got to start early. There are always exceptions to the rule. I just don't think you can successfully recruit the vast majority of high school kids for less than a year and have consistent success at it. That's why you see some coaches going after kids before they get to high school. If I were a player being recruited by a bunch of colleges and someone jumped in at the last minute I would be thinking "why did it take you so long to recruit me, these other schools recognized my talent long before you did. Do you really believe in my talent or are you just following along with everyone else."

I'm not looking to get into a pissing contest with anyone about this. Just my opinion. Thanks for reading.

I think for the top 25 type players..yes it helps to have built a relationship for some time. But it's not impossible to break in with only 7 months to recruit. For players at the other end of the top 100 it's not a big deal. Lots of these players are moving up and down rankings. We started strong on Andre only a few months before he signed. It can be done.

Top Bottom