Lou Holtz Delivers Helmet Sticker

Mvgopher

Reaction score
Helmet sticker goes to Gopher Coaching Staff. Ironic that Holtz delivers.

Nah - no hard feelings toward Lou. He knows damn well that the Gopher coaches coached their asses off in that game and as a former coach - gave them some props. And I think it's a good thing, too. If I were a Gopher football coach on Kill's staff, I would be feeling very, very good today!!

Agreed. No hard feelings and love seeing our M get the national recognition.

Say what you want, but he was a helluva coach. If he would have stayed for another 4 years, the Gophers would have been playing in the Rose Bowl and been on the national stage - I am absolutely positive about that one. I think Rickey Foggie is still my all time favorite Gopher QB!!

The media is only acceptable when praising the Gophers.

Helmet sticker goes to Gopher Coaching Staff (for victory over Nebraska). Ironic that Holtz delivers.

By kick-off next week the Little Weasel will be taking credit for it..

Again, people cannot take a compliment. Nothing will satisfy some of you guys. I pity you.

Again, people cannot take a compliment. Nothing will satisfy some of you guys. I pity you.

Again, some people can't consider the source while "whining about whining". The Little Weasel has no interest in apologizing for calling Giel a liar and making-up the Notre Dame "out clause" in his contract. Excuse us then for having no interest in his opinion on anything.

Better yet, the way some Gopher Fans have the insatiable need for anybody anywhere to say something "nice" about their team, for anybody to "pat them" on the head and say "Good job boy, good job" is almost pathologically needy.

Holtz stills makes us sick, while you get a hard-on from positive platitudes.

Keep your pity.

And now back to the celebrating.:party:

Again, some people can't consider the source while "whining about whining". The Little Weasel has no interest in apologizing for calling Giel a liar and making-up the Notre Dame "out clause" in his contract. Excuse us then for having no interest in his opinion on anything.

Care to elaborate on this story? Many of us here were quite young (or not even born yet) and don't know the details of Holtz's jump to Notre Dame.

Care to elaborate on this story? Many of us here were quite young (or not even born yet) and don't know the details of Holtz's jump to Notre Dame.

Not really, not again, not today, no. Short version? Paul Giel, his boss and the President of the U at the time, all said that there was NO out clause for Notre Dame or any other school for that matter. They said that there was no reason to try and hold him here if he didn't want to be here. Very reasonable position. Who'd write a contract with a clause saying "of course, if you want to go elsewhere.."anyway?

That wasn't enough for the Little Weasel. He wanted to keep his "holier than though" image and made-up the story and passed it through his sycophants at the time. "Why I didn't run out and breach a contract for a better job. I had this clause.."

No, he f*ing didn't. Sid completely flew with the story and so did most of the National Media. When they interviewed Giel and Company they told the truth, but the truth couldn't compete with the myth of Holtz pursuing his dream job. They had to be lying to protect their "mistake".

Have a long time buddy who was Treasurer of the U for a time. He said that he read the contract and Giel, not surprisingly, was telling the truth.

The Weasel also not surprisingly, was lying through his teeth.

Not really, not again, not today, no. Short version? Paul Giel, his boss and the President of the U at the time, all said that there was NO out clause for Notre Dame or any other school for that matter. They said that there was no reason to try and hold him here if he didn't want to be here. Very reasonable position. Who'd write a contract with a clause saying "of course, if you want to go elsewhere.."anyway?

That wasn't enough for the Little Weasel. He wanted to keep his "holier than though" image and made-up the story and passed it through his sycophants at the time. "Why I didn't run out and breach a contract for a better job. I had this clause.."

No, he f*ing didn't. Sid completely flew with the story and so did most of the National Media. When they interviewed Giel and Company they told the truth, but the truth couldn't compete with the myth of Holtz pursuing his dream job. They had to be lying to protect their "mistake".

Have a long time buddy who was Treasurer of the U for a time. He said that he read the contract and Giel, not surprisingly, was telling the truth.

The Weasel also not surprisingly, was lying through his teeth.

All that anger you hold inside must be draining.

Just take a compliment, even if you don't lile the source.

All that anger you hold inside must be draining.

Just take a compliment, even if you don't lile the source.

from a scumbag like Holtz? No. Better idea, maybe you should just give it a rest. This is what, your fifth or six post about taking compliments, and that's just from the two threads I was reading.

Do you really need the media's stroking THAT much? :rolleyes:

Say what you want, but he was a helluva coach. If he would have stayed for another 4 years, the Gophers would have been playing in the Rose Bowl and been on the national stage - I am absolutely positive about that one. I think Rickey Foggie is still my all time favorite Gopher QB!!

I don't see what's really ironic here. Gold Rush is right. Holtz ditched us but the guy's coaching ability speaks for itself and Kill--at least to me--seems cut from pretty much the same cloth when it comes to on-the-field type issues. In his brief stint here, Holtz had kids willing to run through brick walls for him and I get that same vibe from watching Kill's teams. And that is what we have sorely lacked since Holtz left

I don't see what's really ironic here. Gold Rush is right. Holtz ditched us but the guy's coaching ability speaks for itself and Kill--at least to me--seems cut from pretty much the same cloth when it comes to on-the-field type issues. In his brief stint here, Holtz had kids willing to run through brick walls for him and I get that same vibe from watching Kill's teams. And that is what we have sorely lacked since Holtz left

Great Coach, miserable human being. Yeah, that sounds about right. Better check that "great coach" stuff though. When he faced coaching situations that looked like he couldn't turn around, the New York Jets and Minnesota in particular, he quit, both times before the season ended. It's also worthwhile to note that Arkansas, Minnesota, Notre Dame and South Carolina all went through NCAA investigations during or right after he was Head Coach. Spurrior in fact was very open in how Holtz lied to him about the severity of the problems at South Carolina when Lou was recruiting him to succeed him as Head Coach.

The best slogan for Lying Lou:

When the going gets tough, he gets going.

from a scumbag like Holtz? No. Better idea, maybe you should just give it a rest. This is what, your fifth or six post about taking compliments, and that's just from the two threads I was reading.

Do you really need the media's stroking THAT much? :rolleyes:

Whoa! I've got no horse in this race, but all this vitriol is pretty darn ugly and even a bit disturbing. Not saying you're wrong, but every one of us who have done business must realize there are written contracts as well as handshake agreements. Not in writing doesn't necessarily mean no agreement between two parties. Sometimes it's convenient to acquiesce verbally and not have a written record that could raise difficult issues. Like "why would anyone agree to that?" I doubt if I've ever signed a contract that didn't include a verbal understanding or two. It usually has something to do with an issue one party is willing to cede but doesn't feel comfortable passing on to his or her successor, while the other party decides that such a course serves their purpose.

Whoa! I've got no horse in this race, but all this vitriol is pretty darn ugly and even a bit disturbing. Not saying you're wrong, but every one of us who have done business must realize there are written contracts as well as handshake agreements. Not in writing doesn't necessarily mean no agreement between two parties. Sometimes it's convenient to acquiesce verbally and not have a written record that could raise difficult issues. Like "why would anyone agree to that?" I doubt if I've ever signed a contract that didn't include a verbal understanding or two. It usually has something to do with an issue one party is willing to cede but doesn't feel comfortable passing on to his or her successor, while the other party decides that such a course serves their purpose.

Yeah it was pretty disturbing. Question, if you'd have that "verbal" agreement would you go to the press and lie about it? All the while smearing the reputation of the people that signed you to the contract and gave you that "verbal" agreement. Most people I know wouldn't. You'll have to speak for yourself and Lou, I guess. Besides, Lou and/or his sycophants have been very verbal about how the clause was "in the contract".

You want to know what Lou is all about? it's Lou. He left without acknowledging the rumors that he was heading to South Bend. Got into a car and drove away without saying good-by to the kids he recruited.

Sounds, "weasel like" but Coaches do it (to) often. Maybe even Kill when he left UNI. Who knows.

Now Lou put a twist on it. When he was up here campaigning for the Vikings job a few years ago he was answering a question from a reporter, Mark Rosen maybe? He wanted to take the time and thank the people of Minnesota and especially those kids who "played for him on the Gophers". He said it he was sorry for leaving without saying good-by.

Not as sorry I'd venture, as having to say that in public to have a chance at the Vikings job. A job he didn't get.

Yeah it was pretty disturbing. Question, if you'd have that "verbal" agreement would you go to the press and lie about it? All the while smearing the reputation of the people that signed you to the contract and gave you that "verbal" agreement. Most people I know wouldn't. You'll have to speak for yourself and Lou, I guess. Besides, Lou and/or his sycophants have been very verbal about how the clause was "in the contract".

You want to know what Lou is all about? it's Lou. He left without acknowledging the rumors that he was heading to South Bend. Got into a car and drove away without saying good-by to the kids he recruited.

Sounds, "weasel like" but Coaches do it (to) often. Maybe even Kill when he left UNI. Who knows.

Now Lou put a twist on it. When he was up here campaigning for the Vikings job a few years ago he was answering a question from a reporter, Mark Rosen maybe? He wanted to take the time and thank the people of Minnesota and especially those kids who "played for him on the Gophers". He said it he was sorry for leaving without saying good-by.

Not as sorry I'd venture, as having to say that in public to have a chance at the Vikings job. A job he didn't get.

You might be correct in every regard. I'm not advocating for Holtz nor debating the substance of your argument, just the tone. Pretty sophisticated technique trying to make me partners with the guy though. Well played.

Ironically, the other helmet sticker went to another former team of his, South Carolina.

Top Bottom