Lot of Empty Seats in Madison Today...

John Galt

Reaction score
Then again, half their graduates move to the Twin Cities to find jobs.

What is really different today from the games in the 1960's is that every game today is on color TV, every week. You can sit in front of your wide screen, turn the game on an hour and a half after the game starts and watch the whole game in less than two hours by fast forwarding through the commercials. All warm, dry and you get to see all the replays you want to see as many times as you want. Not for everyone, but a lot of people I know do exactly that. And it is all "free" in their minds.

What is really different today from the games in the 1960's is that every game today is on color TV, every week. You can sit in front of your wide screen, turn the game on an hour and a half after the game starts and watch the whole game in less than two hours by fast forwarding through the commercials. All warm, dry and you get to see all the replays you want to see as many times as you want. Not for everyone, but a lot of people I know do exactly that. And it is all "free" in their minds.
Badger fans just learned their games are on color TV every week and decided to stay home. Interesting.

Badger fans just learned their games are on color TV every week and decided to stay home. Interesting.

My point was we used to go to the games because there was no other choice. Today, there is always a choice even for season ticket holders and especially for the fan who wants to save some coin and enjoy the game from the comfort of his home.

They may have had only 65,000 there today. Probably finish in the top 15 or so in attendance.

Their website says "Attendance: 70747", which is lower than # of season tickets sold, so it must be gate.
We have often had way less people in the seats than tickets sold. We had games recently with less than 30,000 actually there. Like in hoops the other night, did we actually have more than 6000 ?

Am I the only one that has had a nice color TV in recent years? Because that was a lot of open seats in the Camp and I don’t recall that from many previous years of watching their games on my big TV.

Fun to poke at them but we do live in a glass house as we throw rocks at anyone for attendance. As I have said before, I think TCF Bank Stadium was designed/built perfectly for the changing landscape of college football. In future years, I wouldn’t be surprised to see large swaths of open seats in Wisconsin’s 80,0000 seat stadium on a more regular basis. Poor them.

What else is there to do in Wisconsin?
Do not let the handle fool you. I was given that as a nickname by a former UW basketball coach.

As a true Gopher fan, not sure I would have used that as my handle here then.

Fan police are out again ! Who decides what is the criteria ?

Am I the only one that has had a nice color TV in recent years? Because that was a lot of open seats in the Camp and I don’t recall that from many previous years of watching their games on my big TV.

Fun to poke at them but we do live in a glass house as we throw rocks at anyone for attendance. As I have said before, I think TCF Bank Stadium was designed/built perfectly for the changing landscape of college football. In future years, I wouldn’t be surprised to see large swaths of open seats in Wisconsin’s 80,0000 seat stadium on a more regular basis. Poor them.
You may very well be right about the changing landscape of college football.

Didn’t they return a bunch of tickets for our game?

They've got 88" OLED HDTVs, maybe even bigger ones. Watching live football games have to contend with changing technology and attitudes as a result.

They are going to figure something out sooner or later to attract live audiences and make it family friendly.

Fun to poke at them but we do live in a glass house as we throw rocks at anyone for attendance. As I have said before, I think TCF Bank Stadium was designed/built perfectly for the changing landscape of college football. In future years, I wouldn’t be surprised to see large swaths of open seats in Wisconsin’s 80,0000 seat stadium. Poor them.

Sorry to be a buzzkill, but it’s opening day for gun deer today in Wisconsin. I’m hunting with a few guys that have season tickets.

The Badgers are putting in about 100 million or so into another renovation. They will redo the south endzone seats, where most of the empty seats are for any game and making it a premium, suite type seating area with a lot of amenities. It is going to reduce capacity to about 77,000 but increase the fan experience in that area. In general, there is a base of about 75,000 tickets they can sell, depending on the game. For 1 game a year about, they could sell more. Otherwise, the market for ticket sales is pretty tapped. It has been that way for about 20 years.

I thought the announcers said something about students having to come in single file and the section would be full eventually. I didn't watch later - did it fill up better? That'd be so aggravating to be in line forever.

I thought the announcers said something about students having to come in single file and the section would be full eventually. I didn't watch later - did it fill up better? That'd be so aggravating to be in line forever.

It is the stupidest system I have ever seen. If I were a student, I would be pissed about it. The tickets fr the season sell out in about an hour and they make it as hard as humanly possible to get into the game.

Something about people living in glass houses comes to mind. This fan base isn’t always the smartest one.

Top Bottom