Looks Like We DO Need to Pay Players

Iceland12

Reaction score
The haters on the board have made me change my mind on paying players. Bought and supported all the arguments on why we shouldn't, but the board has convinced me otherwise. Kids are brought into a University not work their butt-off to get ready to play football or bust their chops to go to class, stay out of trouble or preserver and get that degree.

Nope, they're here to win period and if they don't the hell with them.

The Dallas Skyline Four, the kids that Ruesse said (on the radio only, not in print) came from a school that was full of "gangsters, thugs and criminals". Kids that according to many back in the day, only could get in because Brewster browbeat the Admissions Office into ignoring NCAA rules, those kids all got their degrees right?

The showed they had the necessary character/drive/discipline to thrive on campus and got their degrees. Don't think they spent any time behind bars, were accused of rape, assault or driving a motorcycle around drunk. Things that a number players from previous basketball and football regimes had to face.

Nope, they committed two cardinal sins. Sins that are never to be forgiven. They were recruited by Brewster and their teams didn't win. Wonder what they're telling their fellow Texans about those Gopher Fans up in the cold? Gotta hope they never read Gopher Hole huh?

So maybe the "they're only here to win football games" crowd where right. We need to write some checks because the "student athlete" thing is a total sham.

To bad they weren't one star farm boys from Minnesota. Then, even if they hardly saw the field on teams that went 0-32 during their Big Ten career, people would be praising them for all their dedication and hard work.

Is there a point somewhere in this rambling rant ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good lord.

What an embarrassment of a post.

Who gets drunk at 9:30 in the morning on a friday?

Look, Ice just took a scene from Animal House and flew with it.

I saw and talked to him last night, and here is what he said:

"Starkel, starkel little twink,
who the tell you are I hink.
I'm under the alfluence of incohol.
I only had tee martoonis
and I'm not as drink as some people thunk.
But the drunker I stand here the longer I get,
It makes me fool so feelish.

What's that you say?
Well, miss on you pister.
Go out into your own jack yard
and back off."

Change your password. I think A.J. got a hold of it.

Brewster did have the one highly-rated recruiting class, but the other classes were more in line with other Gopher recruiting classes. The one really stood out, the others not so much. That doesn't imply that they were "thugs". Reusse may have said that, but that doesn't imply that other posters are saying that. There is a little-known fact that posters on the Gopherhole occasionally disagree with Reusse.

You complain that posters here would be praising the one-star benchwarmers if the Gophers went 0-32 in the Big Ten. That's unlikely at best. Benchwarmers don't get a whole lot of attention now. Yes, we do expect players to play good football. That's not at all incompatible with expecting character and for them to get an education.

Brewster did have the one highly-rated recruiting class, but the other classes were more in line with other Gopher recruiting classes. The one really stood out, the others not so much. That doesn't imply that they were "thugs". Reusse may have said that, but that doesn't imply that other posters are saying that. There is a little-known fact that posters on the Gopherhole occasionally disagree with Reusse.

You complain that posters here would be praising the one-star benchwarmers if the Gophers went 0-32 in the Big Ten. That's unlikely at best. Benchwarmers don't get a whole lot of attention now. Yes, we do expect players to play good football. That's not at all incompatible with expecting character and for them to get an education.

What does this post have to do with drinking? Stay on topic please.

You complain that posters here would be praising the one-star benchwarmers if the Gophers went 0-32 in the Big Ten. That's unlikely at best. Benchwarmers don't get a whole lot of attention now. Yes, we do expect players to play good football. That's not at all incompatible with expecting character and for them to get an education[.

One has nothing to do with the other. Brewster had many lousy recruits, but if those Dallas kids had been from Becker, Brainerd, Wannamingo or Worthington or were recruited by Mason or Kill people would be going out of their way to praise them for what they'd done both on the field and in the classroom. Instead they're lumped in with recruits "who couldn't get in anywhere else" or that they somehow are less worthy than Kill's recruits who are all somehow great in the classroom and have the right "character" to represent the U.

"Expecting character and for them to get an education."? They had plenty of the first and got their education and a degree.

Anybody who reads GH gets the impression that they had neither, and that's just wrong.

you rang?

srlsy, Iceland you have >10K posts and you went and did this?

Kids came from a very rough area, did their jobs, got their degrees and should get more credit for it. That and it's been a long, f-ing Winter..

Could you name the five for us? Thanks in advance.

(Good edit. They made quite an impact on you.)

Could explain why I could only come up with four kids that graduated. Still working on why Florida State hired Brewster?

My comments on the subject of Brewster recruiting at risk kids were solely aimed at the kids that never made it to campus or left involuntarily prior to graduation. I wasn't speaking about recruits that contributed to the team and left Minnesota with a degree. There were good players recruited to the Gophers during the Brewster era and the Skyline 4 is definitely in that group. My sole point in all the recruiting threads is that many of Brewster's classes weren't as good as their signing day ranking because a large number of them never made it to campus and if they did they didn't complete their eligibility at the UMN.

I was drowning in dim witted (ness) until the Doc's comment.

Hear-no-evil.jpg

I feel like I walked into the room at the wrong time. . .

But Ice is seeming to argue that some people are demonizing all of the Brew recruits. I think he has a point, even though he conveyed it in a Barkerian way. However, I've never seen any posters on this board that were negative on Cooper, Reeves, Stoud and McKnight as people. They all played hard. They were all good guys and they were all pretty decent football players.

Stoud is constantly mentioned as a kid who got through a bad situation to really turn his career (maybe life) around. He is the shining example of that kind of player. So I don't think he's overlooked.

Cooper and Reeves were good linebackers, good kids by just about everyone's opinion and they contributed to our defense becoming respectable in 2012. I think all of the posters acknowledge that.

McKnight . . .the only negative things I've ever read about McKnight are how Brew used his RS. I agree with that criticism and I defend Brew on this board quite a bit.

I could be wrong, but it seems like you're confusing people's criticism of Brew's recruitment of guys like Lipscomb and Vincent Hill with the Skyline 4. They're Gophers, I thought we all loved them.

Top Bottom