Looking Forward

MrGopher

The Anti-Sioux
Reaction score
It was an interesting year in the Big Ten. Three way tie at the top, and a big mess below that. However, starting next year, looking at the standings will be quite a different thing. Here's how next year's divisions did this year:

The Division of Champions:

Michigan State 7-1 11-1
((Nebraska) 10-2 overall)
Iowa 4-4 7-5
Michigan 3-5 7-5
Northwestern 3-5 7-5
Minnesota 2-6 3-9

The Pile-of-Garbage Division:

Ohio State 7-1 11-1
wisconsin 7-1 11-1
Penn State 4-4 7-5
Illinois 4-4 7-5
Purdue 2-6 4-8
Indiana 1-7 5-7

The "garbage" division went a combined 13-11 vs the "champions" division.

Get used to looking at it like this, ladies and gentlemen. Gives the whole thing a completely new perspective, I think. It really is strange to say, but it seems somehow a little less daunting.... even given our tough division. I, for one, think that if the new coach handles things right, he has a very legitimate chance of moving us up a spot (maybe even two) in the divisional standings. In the end, I gotta go with a Nebraska-OSU matchup in Indianapolis about this time next year (bold, I know).

Anybody else think we can place better than the Wildcats and/or Wolverines?

Next year will be interesting, being the first year of divisions & NE.

Honestly, I think we are destined for a last-place divisional finish next year. Michigan, for all their problems, figures to be better with RichRod (4th year of the new system) or without him (the talent is likely there for someone to "coach em up"). And I'd think Northwestern would be about the same--since Fitzgerald arrived they seem to be consistently competitive. Michigan State and Iowa, IMO, are likely to fall back a bit but not enough for us to catch them. And Nebraska will finish in the upper tier. So we will likely finish last in the division although we may have company when it comes to our conference record. Here's how I see it...

Nebraska 5-3 10-2
Michigan State 5-3 9-3
Michigan 4-4 8-4
Northwestern 3-5 7-5
Iowa 3-5 6-6
GOPHERS 3-5 4-8

tOSU 7-1 11-1
Wisconsin 7-1 11-1
Penn State 5-3 8-4
Illinois 3-5 6-6
Purdue 3-5 5-7
Indiana 0-8 4-8

2012 is when I think we'll make the leap from the bottom to the middle of the division

Honestly, I think we are destined for a last-place divisional finish next year. Michigan, for all their problems, figures to be better with RichRod (4th year of the new system) or without him (the talent is likely there for someone to "coach em up"). And I'd think Northwestern would be about the same--since Fitzgerald arrived they seem to be consistently competitive. Michigan State and Iowa, IMO, are likely to fall back a bit but not enough for us to catch them. And Nebraska will finish in the upper tier. So we will likely finish last in the division although we may have company when it comes to our conference record. Here's how I see it...

Nebraska 5-3 10-2
Michigan State 5-3 9-3
Michigan 4-4 8-4
Northwestern 3-5 7-5
Iowa 3-5 6-6
GOPHERS 3-5 4-8

tOSU 7-1 11-1
Wisconsin 7-1 11-1
Penn State 5-3 8-4
Illinois 3-5 6-6
Purdue 3-5 5-7
Indiana 0-8 4-8

2012 is when I think we'll make the leap from the bottom to the middle of the division

I think if we go 3-5 in conference, we will end up 6-6. The USC loss may be a given, but with this defense a year older, with the confidence of the last game, I can't see losing any one of the home non-conference games.

Top Bottom