Looking for expert advice (TCU game vs. family wedding)

CP Gopher

Reaction score
Ceremony at 2:00
Game at 3:00
Dinner at 6:00
How do I see entire game? (I assume it won't be a blowout)

Depends on relation. Anything past close first cousin is BS. Game.

If you absolutely have to go, then record it and avoid hearing the score. It sucks but I've done it before. Every conversation has to start with "Please don't talk about the Gophers game from today. I am recording it and haven't heard the score. Thanks....and hey, how are you doing?"

Are you in the wedding? What's dinner, sit down meal or buffet? 100s or dozens of people in attendance? Def leaning towards showing up to dinner a few minutes late if it is a big wedding and you can just hit end of food line.

I had a similar situation last year. Skipped the ceremony, watched the game, went to reception. Worked well.

Not sure of what the situation is with your wife. If you live football and that kind of disrupts things from time to time where you get your way. I would make the decision that your wife would appreciate. Family first over a game like this.

12-13 games a year. Countless weddings each year.

I've always treated family like the Ebola virus. Never get too close.

Not sure of what the situation is with your wife. If you live football and that kind of disrupts things from time to time where you get your way. I would make the decision that your wife would appreciate. Family first over a game like this.

Beg to differ. Claim your territory now. My wife knew before she married me that I needed 10-12 3 hour periods in the fall. She'd have no problem telling the family that id be late to the dinner. Gopher football is part of the fabric of our family.

Get a hotel/motel near the reception. Send wifey to ceremony. You can zip to the reception and meet up with wifey once the game os over.

You say family, is it a brother/sister/parent/son/daughter getting married? If it isn't immediate family or a really close family member I think you're free to skip the wedding and watch the game at the nearest bar. The game will be almost over by dinner time, if you're a little late to dinner then oh well. It depends on your wife/girlfriend as well. If she's cool with it then missing the wedding will be a lot smoother. Talk to the groom too. If he's a sports fan he'll understand.

Get a hotel/motel near the reception. Send wifey to ceremony. You can zip to the reception and meet up with wifey once the game os over.

Many years ago, my daughter got married the same day as a Gopher-Iowa game. My brother called me about the dilemma. I told him to get to the game and we would get drunk later. Mission accomplished. Or should I say, MISSIONS accomplished!!!

Beg to differ. Claim your territory now. My wife knew before she married me that I needed 10-12 3 hour periods in the fall. She'd have no problem telling the family that id be late to the dinner. Gopher football is part of the fabric of our family.

I'm working on laying that groundwork now, it's not easy when 7 of those games are at home and involve tailgating. She's coming around and seeing that things can work this way.

Unless you're in the wedding or a close relative they'll never know you didn't make the ceremony. I've never been to a ceremony or dinner that started on time, so you're probably good to go.

Despite being married in the fall I made sure the ceremony didn't conflict with any important sports events. What is wrong with the groom?

Get a SlingPlayer and watch it live (from wherever you need to be) on your smart phone. Mute the phone if necessary, of course :)

Ceremony at 2:00
Game at 3:00
Dinner at 6:00
How do I see entire game? (I assume it won't be a blowout)

Ever hear of calling in sick? We all need at least one mental health day each year where we relax on the couch for several hours. If the Gophers have that magical season that involves roses, you'll regret missing this game.

If you miss the wedding, I doubt the bride or groom will have much regret you missed it. If this helps you at all, the guy who sits next to us was at a game last year debating whether to leave early for a wedding. The guys behind us said to attend their next wedding instead.

Good luck.

Skip the wedding. If she loves you, she can marry you the next day.

There are times though when family comes first. I would sacrifice for my wife as she supports me.

"Looking for expert advice (TCU game vs. family wedding)" My first two thoughts: 1. Not the proper forum for "expert" advice on any topic. 2. Your daughter will say she understands but never forgive you if you don't give her your undivided attention on her day.

Tape the freakin' game. I blew off a family event once for what the female members of the family deemed to be an unimportant reason, and I heard about it for years.

Plus, by attending the wedding, you have a chip that you can use the next time.

Off-topic, but wedding at 2 and dinner at 6. That is a bad plan. A buddy of mine did that once, and left "the guys" with three hours to kill before the reception. Of course, we started the celebration early, and by the time we got to the reception, several of us were not in good shape - and things went downhill from there. One guy tried to dirty dance with the bride's mother - not a good choice!

You've got a little under 3 weeks to break this wedding up and eliminate the conflict altogether.

Offer to be an Usher, seat everyone then take up a post outside to watch for late comers. Bolt at 2:30. Go watch the game and show up the reception after. They will only remember that you helped out at the wedding. :)

Family is forever.

Besides, the Gophers will beat TCU, so everyone wins.

PLAN A:

Since the family member scheduled a wedding during college football season, they are obviously very lame (unless one/both of the couple are deploying or rapidly dying of a terminal disease, in which I rescind this entire post). Blow off the wedding and stop by dinner with a nice gift. A nice gift for this couple will likely be some sort of sham pillow / duvet set or some equally frilly gift. Make a comment to the couple about how great the ceremony was, and how the church's sound system was so great you could hear everything clearly from the back rows. Slip an extra $40 inside one of the pillow cases as insurance that they will forgive you later if you are found out or ratted on by a nosy great aunt.

It's actually very smart to not show up to the wedding. If they get upset and write you off, you've saved yourself years of happy holidays. Do you really want to spend every Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's with someone who can't understand the importance of a college football game? What if they decide to go around the room and have everyone talk about what they are thankful for while the Iron Bowl, The Game, or Good Old Fashioned Hate is on? How would you feel if they decide to hold a no-television family dinner during the Rose Bowl or Cotton Bowl? It's better that you learn their un-American ways now and part company if they are offended by a person's natural right to watch some football.

PLAN B:

Bring a tablet or mobile device, with headphones, to the ceremony. Paint the headphone cord to match your flesh tone and sit near the rear of the church. Put the tablet inside of a Bible/hymnal or the program. Be careful not to show too much excitement or displeasure at inappropriate times. If it helps you to calm down, bring a flask with you and sip as much as possible in the restroom immediately prior to entering the ceremony. Bonus points if you can con the kid running the AV booth to give you the church's WIFI password to improve your streaming quality.

Find the groomsmen and other male guests immediately after the ceremony. Unless the groom found all his friends at the dweeb convention, there are likely many football fans missing their teams play that afternoon. Between the male guests, you should be able to assemble enough mobile devices to catch up on all current games. Before dinner you should be able to all duck into a Sunday School room, which may even have a projector. Bring a converter cord or Chromecast and watch on the big screen, that is, if they don't have cable TV in the room. You should also be able to assemble enough flasks from the male guests to create a mini-bar, provided you can secure the appropriate mixers (i.e. ice cubes).

PLAN C:

Attend the bachelor party and pay the skankiest stripper you can find to do dirty things to the groom-to-be. Upload photos to Facebook and tag the Bride. *Note- This is a strict violation of bro code and you will likely not be invited to any future strip clubs with the boys, so do this at your own risk.

PLAN A:

Since the family member scheduled a wedding during college football season, they are obviously very lame (unless one/both of the couple are deploying or rapidly dying of a terminal disease, in which I rescind this entire post). Blow off the wedding and stop by dinner with a nice gift. A nice gift for this couple will likely be some sort of sham pillow / duvet set or some equally frilly gift. Make a comment to the couple about how great the ceremony was, and how the church's sound system was so great you could hear everything clearly from the back rows. Slip an extra $40 inside one of the pillow cases as insurance that they will forgive you later if you are found out or ratted on by a nosy great aunt.

It's actually very smart to not show up to the wedding. If they get upset and write you off, you've saved yourself years of happy holidays. Do you really want to spend every Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's with someone who can't understand the importance of a college football game? What if they decide to go around the room and have everyone talk about what they are thankful for while the Iron Bowl, The Game, or Good Old Fashioned Hate is on? How would you feel if they decide to hold a no-television family dinner during the Rose Bowl or Cotton Bowl? It's better that you learn their un-American ways now and part company if they are offended by a person's natural right to watch some football.

PLAN B:

Bring a tablet or mobile device, with headphones, to the ceremony. Paint the headphone cord to match your flesh tone and sit near the rear of the church. Put the tablet inside of a Bible/hymnal or the program. Be careful not to show too much excitement or displeasure at inappropriate times. If it helps you to calm down, bring a flask with you and sip as much as possible in the restroom immediately prior to entering the ceremony. Bonus points if you can con the kid running the AV booth to give you the church's WIFI password to improve your streaming quality.

Find the groomsmen and other male guests immediately after the ceremony. Unless the groom found all his friends at the dweeb convention, there are likely many football fans missing their teams play that afternoon. Between the male guests, you should be able to assemble enough mobile devices to catch up on all current games. Before dinner you should be able to all duck into a Sunday School room, which may even have a projector. Bring a converter cord or Chromecast and watch on the big screen, that is, if they don't have cable TV in the room. You should also be able to assemble enough flasks from the male guests to create a mini-bar, provided you can secure the appropriate mixers (i.e. ice cubes).

PLAN C:

Attend the bachelor party and pay the skankiest stripper you can find to do dirty things to the groom-to-be. Upload photos to Facebook and tag the Bride. *Note- This is a strict violation of bro code and you will likely not be invited to any future strip clubs with the boys, so do this at your own risk.

:clap:

Top Bottom