Look beyond the "stars" before you judge the success of this recruiting class

Digger01

Reaction score
Look beyond the "stars" before you judge the success of this recruiting class

I wish more Gopher fans could see how well this class is shaping up to be. The average fan looks no further than where the Gophers are ranked in the B1G without actually considering how the commits project into the structure of the team. Sure, there are many recruits that have chosen to go elsewhere that I personally would have loved to be future Gophers, but just look how each of the ones that will be a part of the team and the potential for great impact. This staff really appears to have a good grasp of exactly what kind of player they are looking for. Remember, it's a process, the "Brick by Brick" motto certainly applies here. A jump to the top of the B1G recruiting rankings is unrealistic at this stage. I realize I look at my favorite team through maroon and gold colored glasses but when you look at each recruit I get very excited with their potential:

Khari Blasingame - What's not to like about this guy? He's very smart and already has the size to play safety right away. With the depth ahead of him he will have the luxury to redshirt and then be ready to make an impact early. He seems like a future team leader to me.

Gaelin Elmore - A future star in the mold of Maxx Williams. Reportedly has the size and athleticism to be a complete TE in BOTH the blocking and passing game. He obviously bleeds maroon and gold and is already a potential fan favorite.

Jerry Gibson - Don't know where he will fit in but looks to be a good athlete. Excellent size and speed combination. Could play TE, DE or LB. Doesn't excite me but am intrigued.

Jeff Jones - The top of the class. Not much needs to be said here.

Julien Kafo - I have no idea. Good size but I don't have any expectations for great impact from him.

Brandon Lingen - All I've read about him is that he's reportedly an exceptional blocker. He appears to be the kind of guy that they'd normally try to get to walk on but was too good in their eyes to not let get away.

Connor Mayes - Looks to be another future team leader. Has the potential to be an all Big Ten type of player.

Dimonic McKinzy - From what I've read about him he has an excellent arm and excellent athleticism. He's supposedly a pass first QB rather than just a one read and then tuck and run kind of guy. He sounds like a smart and all-around good guy. A good leader. What's held him back in the recruiting rankings is simply his height apparently. Excited to see if he has "it". We need that!

Cody Poock - Know very little about him. Has pretty much the size that Claeys likes in his LB's.

Luke Rasmussen - Good size for a tackle. No way for most people to project if he will have an impact.

Steven Richardson - IMO I think this is the real hidden gem of this class. I truly believe that even though he may never become a pro prospect i predict he will be a high impact type of college player. His fellow DT teammate, Enoch Smith, is the more highly sought after player because of his outstanding size but I think Richardson is the real find here. I know nothing about scouting players but just seeing what he's done on film and even just the stats he's put up I'm incredibly excited about his explosive potential.

Andrew Stelter - He looks to be too slow to be an effective DE in Claeys' system so many project him to play DT if he can add bulk. His strength supposedly is his excellent tackling ability. If he can become a hold the point of attack and make every tackle kind of DT he would be the perfect compliment to Richardson.

Everett Williams - Not sure how he'll end up contributing but by just looking at his recent stats he looks like he could be a big play kind of LB. He really could surprise people.

My point in all this is you can't just look at "star" rankings. There is a lot to be excited about this class so far and to think that things aren't looking up recruiting wise isn't seeing it clearly. Am I wrong?

If you can't "select" recruits, like helmet schools do, then you need to find several categories of recruits to build your program:

Raw developmental athletes:
Kafo-Hasn't played much football, but has great size and strength.
Gibson- small school athlete that played RB at 6'4'' 220
Rasmussen-Huge frame, needs to develop strength and quickness
Lingen-" "

Smart players who fit schemes and play with good technique or you think can become excellent technicians in your schemes.
Blasingame- Smart kid, good tackler, takes good angles at safety
Stelter-Smart, big frame, plays with good leverage
Williams-Watch his tape, he is always in a good position to either make a play or leverage ballcarriers into his teammates
Poock-JUCO so he's expected to be somewhat developed, but makes good reads and drops into coverage smoothely, good tackler
Richardson- Quick DT that fits Claeys' scheme well in the Roland Johnson mode.

Then again, if you can get highly recruited talent you take them. These are guys who have the whole package and you win some you lose some.

Elmore-Fantastic athlete, amazing run blocker at TE
Mayes-Road grader, highly recruited OL
Jones-Dynamic RB
McKinzy-Highly recruited passer/dual threat QB

Ragnow/Holland/James would be here

I do think the staff is either holding some guys off from committing until plan A types so no, If we end up taking 20 or so we have quite a few spots to fill still.
It makes for the appearance that things are slow, but I bet they could fill in 3-5 right now with some backup plans.

If you can't "select" recruits, like helmet schools do, then you need to find several categories of recruits to build your program:

Raw developmental athletes:
Kafo-Hasn't played much football, but has great size and strength.
Gibson- small school athlete that played RB at 6'4'' 220
Rasmussen-Huge frame, needs to develop strength and quickness
Lingen-" "

Smart players who fit schemes and play with good technique or you think can become excellent technicians in your schemes.
Blasingame- Smart kid, good tackler, takes good angles at safety
Stelter-Smart, big frame, plays with good leverage
Williams-Watch his tape, he is always in a good position to either make a play or leverage ballcarriers into his teammates
Poock-JUCO so he's expected to be somewhat developed, but makes good reads and drops into coverage smoothely, good tackler
Richardson- Quick DT that fits Claeys' scheme well in the Roland Johnson mode.

Then again, if you can get highly recruited talent you take them. These are guys who have the whole package and you win some you lose some.

Elmore-Fantastic athlete, amazing run blocker at TE
Mayes-Road grader, highly recruited OL
Jones-Dynamic RB
McKinzy-Highly recruited passer/dual threat QB

Ragnow/Holland/James would be here

I do think the staff is either holding some guys off from committing until plan A types so no, If we end up taking 20 or so we have quite a few spots to fill still.
It makes for the appearance that things are slow, but I bet they could fill in 3-5 right now with some backup plans.

I really like how you laid that out, Ole!

Moving forward, getting Ragnow, Holland and James would surely appease the masses. I feel Ragnow and James are future Gophers, just not officially yet. I'm also anticipating that Rodney Smith will commit as early as today (just a hunch). More RB depth would be needed. Getting Holland would be wonderful. Personally, I think Ragnow would make a fantastic guard. James seems awfully small so I'll defer to those that know better on how to judge him. My perception is we have an alarmingly lack of depth at CB. The coaching staff isn't pursuing many of them in quantity, apparently, so maybe they feel they have option from guys that are currently listed at safety.

Well stated Digger! With the program where it is, and the established system we have, the staff knows the type of players they need to make this system work. Obviously we want the most talented players coming to the U, but we all know that the 'star system' doesn't guarantee a lick of success. I'm content to find the right pieces at this stage, and not worry about stars. If we continue to improve, then my recruiting expectations will rise, and I'll expect the staff to find more highly touted "pieces" for the system.

Side note: I feel a lot less confident in Ragnow being a Gopher, even though we're listed as a finalist. Just my gut - but I feel like FSU will lock him up.

Top Bottom