Local Vegas Reaction

Ogee Ogilthorpe

Tattooed Millionaire
Reaction score
Tried to listen/read to as much post game reaction to Thursdays game as possible, found a couple interesting things to note.

First, fans seemed to be split right down the middle (shocking!). Some said they came away from the game more optimistic about the future for Rebel football than they've been in years/decades. Some said same old Rebels, putting up a valiant fight means nothing without getting the win.

Second, it's interesting to hear the analysis of the Gophers from an opponent perspective. Many acknowledged the Gophers are a lower-tier Big Ten team, but "still a Big Ten team with BT athletes". That seemed to give more reason for optimism.

Then there was the perception of Gray. UNIVERSALLY, the radio personalities, the game analysts, and particularly the line makers, the guys who set the lines (whose opinion is mostly the only one I ever listen to on local radio, all said resoundingly, "We knew going in that he couldn't throw," or, "the game plan for the game leading up to kickoff centered around the fact that Gray can't throw the ball."

The linemakers and the guys on radio who bet the games universally took UNLV and the UNDER (which I think was at about 52-54 around kickoff?), largely because they knew UNLV would stack the box and that Gray can't throw.

The entire country seems to know that the Gopher QB can't throw the ball, with the exception of a handful of Gopher fans.

I don't know how UNLV can come away from this game that optimistic. They racked up barely 200 yards of offense in regulation, the only TD drive they had in regulation was the result of a muffed punt and two penalties. They rolled the dice on defense, betting that Gray couldn't hit open receivers if left open, they were right, and they ALMOST won.

At any rate, it's awesome that the Gophers now have some actual game film to break down, a longer week to prepare for the next game, and plenty of time to work some bugs out. I expect a lot of things to be a lot more crisp next Saturday; playing at home, fewer penalties, fresher legs, etc.

Tried to listen/read to as much post game reaction to Thursdays game as possible, found a couple interesting things to note.

First, fans seemed to be split right down the middle (shocking!). Some said they came away from the game more optimistic about the future for Rebel football than they've been in years/decades. Some said same old Rebels, putting up a valiant fight means nothing without getting the win.

Second, it's interesting to hear the analysis of the Gophers from an opponent perspective. Many acknowledged the Gophers are a lower-tier Big Ten team, but "still a Big Ten team with BT athletes". That seemed to give more reason for optimism.

Then there was the perception of Gray. UNIVERSALLY, the radio personalities, the game analysts, and particularly the line makers, the guys who set the lines (whose opinion is mostly the only one I ever listen to on local radio, all said resoundingly, "We knew going in that he couldn't throw," or, "the game plan for the game leading up to kickoff centered around the fact that Gray can't throw the ball."

The linemakers and the guys on radio who bet the games universally took UNLV and the UNDER (which I think was at about 52-54 around kickoff?), largely because they knew UNLV would stack the box and that Gray can't throw.

The entire country seems to know that the Gopher QB can't throw the ball, with the exception of a handful of Gopher fans.

I don't know how UNLV can come away from this game that optimistic. They racked up barely 200 yards of offense in regulation, the only TD drive they had in regulation was the result of a muffed punt and two penalties. They rolled the dice on defense, betting that Gray couldn't hit open receivers if left open, they were right, and they ALMOST won.

At any rate, it's awesome that the Gophers now have some actual game film to break down, a longer week to prepare for the next game, and plenty of time to work some bugs out. I expect a lot of things to be a lot more crisp next Saturday; playing at home, fewer penalties, fresher legs, etc.

Well done with your report, Ogee.

Let us not forget, the raucus Gopher Fanhood, led by GOPHERHOLERS!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIWSkM5UHhM

GO GOPHERS!!!!!

That reminds me, Don. I have to mention one more thing I told Bleed on the phone at halftime of the game.

Sitting on the UNLV side, the view of the Minnesota side of the stadium section almost filled with Maroon and Gold made me very proud. It was really impressive to see. I'm sure it was nothing compared to when Wisky visits but it was just fantastic to see.

EDIT: Radio said there was approximately 15,000 fans in attendance (pathetic, but typical of Rebel football) and the local radio guy estimated 4,000 of those being Gopher fans. Huh?? Anyone there would say that the Gophers accounted for more than 30% of the fans in attendance, at least I thought so.

Ogee: AuEGO4 texted me some pics from the game, and he said the same thing.

In the meantime, today, AuEGO4 is preparing to marry off his sister in Vegas. The party continues in Vegas!!!

Gray did make some bad passes, but 57% isn't bad for a QB who can't throw.

Ogee: AuEGO4 texted me some pics from the game, and he said the same thing.

In the meantime, today, AuEGO4 is preparing to marry off his sister in Vegas. The party continues in Vegas!!!

Does his sister know she's being married off?

57% completion rate. 269 yards passing. 2 TDs vs 1 int, including 2 critical TDs in OT. 157 QB rating. Yeah, the guy's a dog & they really better hope they don't face a good QB any time soon. I know...he missed some easy passes, but on the whole a decent game by any measure.

57% completion rate. 269 yards passing. 2 TDs vs 1 int, including 2 critical TDs in OT. 157 QB rating. Yeah, the guy's a dog & they really better hope they don't face a good QB any time soon. I know...he missed some easy passes, but on the whole a decent game by any measure.

Ha. . .no doubt.

I'm glad that the Vegas fan base universally "knew" that Gray couldn't throw the ball, it probably helped him dice them up in the 4th quarter.

Nice that the receivers seem to be catching the ball better than last year.

Ha. . .no doubt.

I'm glad that the Vegas fan base universally "knew" that Gray couldn't throw the ball, it probably helped him dice them up in the 4th quarter.

I didn't mention the fans, just the line makers who know football better than any of us.

No doubt, teams with defenses of UNLV caliber will make Gray look moderately effective. If their defense refused to show any respect for his passing ability, I cringe to think how much respect he'll get from a BT defense.

In its current state, this will be the easiest offense in the BT to defend.

Look, nobody is hoping more than I am that he gets it together. First game, on the road, a little jacked up; I still think/hope he gets rolling thru the rest of the NC schedule. It's just that from everything we've been hearing the last 6-7 months about his substantial improvement, Thursday was a major disappointment. The only noticeable difference from last year appeared to be that he's slower.

Plenty of football left tho. I have no doubt he'll look better next week.

The radio station that carried the game, ESPN 1100, wasn't to rough on the Gophers on their post game show. They were though pretty rough on them yesterday. They also said the locals thought Minnesota fans were some of the "lousiest tippers they've ever seen". "Only Wisconsin fans were worse".

If you just look at the stat line then yeah it looks like Gray had a very good game. Clearly there is more to it then stats though and anyone who actually watched the game knows he played very poorly in the first 3 quarters. He picked it up some in the fourth and in overtime but at best he played an average game overall against a very poor defense.

I'm not calling for the backup or anything drastic but for this team to have a shot in Big Ten games and against stiffer non-conf opponents Gray will have to play better than he did on Thursday night. A win is a win but with the way the Gophers played they were lucky to get out of town with the W. That being said if Gray had been more accurate over the course of the game the nail biter could have been a blowout.

Gray can throw, he just isn't consistent. Sometimes he makes the throws and sometimes he doesn't, but when he's on he has a game like Michigan State last year, and when he's off he has a game like UNLV.

Don't forget that after USC last year a lot of people were calling for Max, but by the end of the season Q was a junior superhero.

Let's back away from the cliff and put Gray's performance in perspective.

Gray did a very good job of making the correct read on most of the plays. He was making the right decisions on the plays and was picking the open receivers, and the receivers were actually getting separation and were open. Gray's major problem was overthrowing the wide open receivers. He wasn't that far off on the line of the passes or throwing to the wrong players. He just seemed too excited and put too much on the throws. That can be corrected. I would be more worried if he was trying to force the ball into the wrong places or bouncing it off the turf.

I would be more worried if he was trying to force the ball into the wrong places or bouncing it off the turf.

Totally agree with this last line. The UNLV QB did exactly what you mentioned there and cost his team a chance to win. That throw he made in overtime that Wells picked was a classic inexperienced QB mistake trying to force something that isn't there. The pressure from Troy was good but an experienced QB chucks that into the stands instead of into triple coverage sidearm while falling backwards.

It was good to see Gray making the right reads in a lot of cases. The thing we still don't know about him is if he actually is capable of making those touch throws. I have never felt QB was his natural position, that being said I still think he is our best option right now because his running ability can cover up other deficiencies.

UN-LV fans shouldn't panic anymore than Gopher fans should be panicking, they started a red-shirt freshman who was making his first career start, they've also got a quality coach in Bobby Hauck, I predict they will be much better at the end of the season than they were in this game.

Just think of the depth Minnesota would have if Gray stayed at WR. He would possibly be a legit NFL prospect at the position (he has the size and used to have the speed). He was pretty darn good catching passes a couple seasons ago. I would love to have Shortell or whoever become the permanent QB and move Gray out wide.

Just think of the depth Minnesota would have if Gray stayed at WR. He would possibly be a legit NFL prospect at the position (he has the size and used to have the speed). He was pretty darn good catching passes a couple seasons ago. I would love to have Shortell or whoever become the permanent QB and move Gray out wide.

Not this nonsense again. You are beginning to sound like a stuck record. :horse:

Not this nonsense again. You are beginning to sound like a stuck record. :horse:

Doesn't mean it's not true. Gray will have zero shot as a QB at the next level. Receiver on the other hand, could possibly land him a very good career. Now I know the switch to WR is not going to happen, but we definitley have better options on the team as far as throwing QBs.

I don't give a sh1t, at all, what Gray's potential NFL position is. I want to win games. If you don't think that Gray at QB gives this team its best chance to win the most games possible, you know very little (or nothing) about football. We already knew that MoronGopher doesn't know anything about anything, but I like Bisker and I'll just chalk that post up to having a bad day.

Doesn't mean it's not true. Gray will have zero shot as a QB at the next level. Receiver on the other hand, could possibly land him a very good career. Now I know the switch to WR is not going to happen, but we definitley have better options on the team as far as throwing QBs.

As far as throwing QBs. That is exactly the point. Would Gray at receiver be in the teams best interest? Clearly that is a no. His passing may need some work still, but his ability to run and plow forward for a few extra yards is important. We cannot simply bring him in as a wildcat QB, it would be too obvious.

It's been one game. Yes, he overthrew a few receivers, but he also made some very nice strikes as well. I think it was a little bit of hesitation with a combination of not wanting to throw crucial interceptions. He will figure it out as he develops some rapport with these receivers.

dpodoll, thanks for seeing the point I was trying to make, and that being to even bring up the topic of "...I think/wish MQ at wide receiver..."
crap is so frikking old when it ain't gonna happen, why even bring it up? Right MoronGopher? Talk about dead issues, go ahead and look stupid.

Dr.Don

Everybody is entitled to have their own fantasies Dr.Don. The only difference between yours and MaroonGopher's is that his rated G for "Good grief not again!" and yours is rated XXX for censored.

Top Bottom