Listening to Dave Lee...

Same here. What's sad is that I never realized just how much a good play-by-play guy can add to the enjoyment of listening to games on the radio until living in WI. If the Gophers and Badgers play at different times and if I happen to be on the road during the Badger game, I'll listen to the Wisky game on the radio (anything is better than Top 40 radio). Our hated rivals have a really good play-by-play guy in Matt Lepay. The difference in quality is night and day.

Yep, Lepay and Iowa's Gary Dolphin are awesome.....a damn shame (not to mention the multi-hour pregame show and the multi-hour postgame show. With 'CCOs postgame show, we get to listen to Steve Thompson mock the home team).

Dave Lee

he's real good at doing bread commercials though. Only in Minnesota.

You know Wcco doesn't hire the announcers...right?

Its all on Learfield Sports, not WCCO.

Hard to say about that. Dave Lee is an employee of WCCO. He has a sucky show. Or did. I don't listen anymore...

Don't you people have any imagination? If the sportscaster gave you all the details, where would the challenge lie? It makes it more exciting when you aren't sure how many yards a play gained - if it gained yardage at all. The adventure of not being sure if the pass was caught, you can't get that just anywhere. You learn to judge the play based off whether the crowd is cheering or not. Some people need everything spelled out for them, and it's just sad.

(The above is a test of the emergency sarcasm system)

You know Wcco doesn't hire the announcers...right?

Its all on Learfield Sports, not WCCO.

1) WCCO hired Dave Lee as Voice of the Gophers in 2001.
2) Learfield inherited Dave Lee when they purchased the radio rights in 2006.
3) WCCO - as Twin Cities Gopher flagship - applies pressure to keep their guy.
4) The University gets final say (ever listen to the disclaimer at the end of the game?)
5) Joel Maturi and Marc Ryan want Dave Lee to be the Voice of the Gophers.
6) Because of #4 and #5 - Learfield probably couldn't change if they wanted to.

Yep, Lepay and Iowa's Gary Dolphin are awesome.....a damn shame (not to mention the multi-hour pregame show and the multi-hour postgame show. With 'CCOs postgame show, we get to listen to Steve Thompson mock the home team).

Not to mention 3 hours of scores from the MIAC, NSIC, etc. and very little actual Gopher game discussion (nothing against small-college football, I just don't need it for the entire Saturday post-game).

Call and write the sponsers and tell them that you will not buy their product or let them bury Grandma as long as they have him on the air!

5) Joel Maturi and Marc Ryan want Dave Lee to be the Voice of the Gophers.

Why in God's name would Joel Maturi want such an incompetent as Dave Lee as the voice of the Gophers?

Why in God's name would Joel Maturi want such an incompetent as Dave Lee as the voice of the Gophers?

He helps sell tickets.

If you aren't watching TV, and want to know what's going on at a home game, you have to buy a ticket. You certainly won't know what's going on by listening to Lee.

Dave Lee

As I recall, Dave Lee used to do NDSU games back in their Division II glory days...I believe they fired him in favor of Eddie Schultz...there was nobody better than Ray Christianson...I can remember back in the late 80's and early 90's, when the Gophers were seldom on television, listening to him while I was working in the backyard...he always painted a picture that made you feel like you were there...I also would have a hard time finding somebody who was more prepared...Paul Flatly was his color guy and did a great job as well.

Dave Lee is the absolute most horrible play-by-play announcer that I have ever heard. The AM station that does our High School football games is shoulders above this Dave Lee joker. Dave Lee is even horrible on his morning show...I can't listen to him anymore. Our carpool makes jokes about him and his stupid non-sense comments. No wonder WCCO is loosing listeners.

Can't somebody get the U to listen and actually hear how bad he really is?
Do some comparing and listen to the Iowa games on 1040AM and then you can decide for yourselves on how poorly the U is managing the radio broadcasts of Gopher Football. Lee has to go.
Very very low rate.

Dave Lee is the absolute most horrible play-by-play announcer that I have ever heard. The AM station that does our High School football games is shoulders above this Dave Lee joker. Dave Lee is even horrible on his morning show...I can't listen to him anymore. Our carpool makes jokes about him and his stupid non-sense comments. No wonder WCCO is loosing listeners.

That's because the high school announcer knows his job. Just tell the audience the important information. What down is it? What's the formation, how many yards to go. What is the play? If it is a pass, was it caught, and for how many yards? Did we pick up the first down? Get that information down pat. Only then can you add "color".

And being the announcer for a major college football team shouldn't be a second job. A morning show should be the second job. There would be hundreds of resumes sent in if the job were opened up. And the great majority of them would be better, and would learn the Gophers inside and out.

does anyone remember the tipped pass against Michigan State last year?

arguably the most exciting play of the year - if somebody could muster up Lee's call of that play and post I would appreciate it - my techie skills are not that advanced - Mona had to step in as i recall and tell him it wasn't an incomplete pass - classic

another favoite of mine is when they were playing penn state and he kept calling them the buckeyes - Oh and then Abdual Khalik sat out the entire second half and Benjie kamrath replaced him and Lee never knew it - Oh maybe i'm starting to like the guy because he is so incompetent

This is one of best threads ever on GH. So many good comments. It's one thing to have someone who is love/hate but I don't know anyone who likes (let alone loves) Dave Lee.

Reminds me of last year the morning after the Air Force game. People kept calling into Sid & Dave's show on WCCO talking about how great it was to hear Ray Christensen. One guy even mentioned how much better Ray was than, "what we have to put up with now." I was laughing out loud at home.

Top Bottom