List of Players Returning and Departing for 2021

If everyone is back, Andries is a Guard IMO. However, Faalele and Dunlap will have a lot of work to do to crack the starting line-up.

With Hickcox going into the transfer portal, curious if anyone ever saw any actual confirmation that MDT and Schad are returning?

With Hickcox going into the transfer portal, curious if anyone ever saw any actual confirmation that MDT and Schad are returning?
Someone posted a Burns post/blog/tweet (not sure which) talking about his predictions for DL rotation over the next two seasons, and included MDT and Schad for next year.

Even if only one of MDT, Schad, and Teague return this position is still one of the deepest on the team. Crazy to think with so many years of struggle trying to recruit DTs.

I don't have the post but I am very confident that MDT has declared he is coming back. Schad I believe has also confirmed he is returning. Teague is up in the air but some plugged in posters seem pretty convinced he is retiring from football. Just don't think he has made it official yet.

I don't have the post but I am very confident that MDT has declared he is coming back. Schad I believe has also confirmed he is returning. Teague is up in the air but some plugged in posters seem pretty convinced he is retiring from football. Just don't think he has made it official yet.

The number of players listed on the Transfer Portal must give some of these guys pause. You don't want to get "stuck" in the portal without a paddle or a boat.

Been kind of quiet in terms of news. Anyone on the paysites or more plugged in on Twitter have any additional insight into any of these guys?

Undeclared: - Key guys in bold
Teague - retiring ?
Swenson

Thompson
McDonald
Kieft
Schoenfeld
Witham
Faalele
Harris

Been kind of quiet in terms of news. Anyone on the paysites or more plugged in on Twitter have any additional insight into any of these guys?

Undeclared: - Key guys in bold
Teague - retiring ?
Swenson

Thompson
McDonald
Kieft
Schoenfeld
Witham
Faalele
Harris
I assume you meant Justus Harris. Hope he comes back.

Looks like D'Vion Harris, a DE in the 2019 class, has entered the transfer portal: https://247sports.com/college/minne...ters-NCAA-Transfer-Portal-PJ-Fleck-159034207/

Roster bio: https://gophersports.com/sports/football/roster/d-vion-harris/18326

D'vion Harris doesn't seem like a huge loss, based on what I know.

Care to elaborate on what you know?

I posted this on the Transfer Portal thread, but I am kinda bummed to see D'Vion leave. He had great offers coming out of HS and I was excited to see what he could do. It makes me wonder what he saw competition-wise at DE in the true freshman (and maybe incoming class) and whether that made him leave. Obviously Mafe and Big O return, but have to wonder if he felt passed by Jah Joyner, Jalen Logan-Redding and Ali Saad? Or maybe he saw the writing on the wall with Austin Booker and Deven Eastern coming in as well.

Wasn't a guy in the projected two deep going into his third year.
I dunno, with patience and development he would’ve had a great chance of a lot of play time his final two years. No idea why he is leaving but if it’s a play time thing it seems short sighted to me. There’s not going to be a lot of landing spots that can promise him anything better at the FBS level.

I dunno, with patience and development he would’ve had a great chance of a lot of play time his final two years. No idea why he is leaving but if it’s a play time thing it seems short sighted to me. There’s not going to be a lot of landing spots that can promise him anything better at the FBS level.
Maybe he would rather transfer down and play than take a chance on not playing. Playing at a lower than big ten is fine

There will be always winners and losers in the transfer game from a player and team perspective. If key experienced Gopher players opted to return for an extra year due to the covid pandemic decimated season, I will be very delighted.

The motivations to transfer to another school may or may not be apparent. The only certainty is that they will happen.

Recent transfers seem to tip in favor of the Gophers in terms of net talent gain or lost.

Here is the list of current Gopher transfer to date: https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2021-Football/TransferPortal/

Last edited:

Care to elaborate on what you know?

After a redshirt year he played in one game for a fairly weak DL. What I know is he wasn’t good enough to get opportunities, even with guys out due to Covid.

It was enjoyable watching the talent level of the players and coaching last night. Man if that doe not give a person perspective on the status college teams level of talent and coaching, nothing will. Its like watching a large school football program play some average out state team. Unless there is some method of spreading out talent more evenly, we will continue to have big dreams every year.

Last edited:

It was enjoyable watching the talent level of the players and coaching last night. Man if that doe not give a person perspective on the status college teams level of talent and coaching, nothing will. Its like watching a large school football program play some average out state team. Unless there is some method of spreading out talent more evenly, we will continue to have big dreams every year.

There is a clear delineation between middling tier and upper tier P5 football. Any player would be an instant impact player for the Gophers on either team. I'd take Naji Harris or their star WR. Speed kills!

There is a clear delineation between middling tier and upper tier P5 football. Any player would be an instant impact player for the Gophers on either team. I'd take Naji Harris or their star WR. Speed kills!
Clearly saw it last night with Alabama making a statement for the upper tier.

I agree with other posters that it was a fun game to watch even though Big Ten's tOSU got trucked.

Could the Gophers beat Alabama if they were allowed to have a 12th guy on the field? Both sides of a ball.

Could the Gophers beat Alabama if they were allowed to have a 12th guy on the field? Both sides of a ball.

For the Gophers to compete with a team like Alabama right now it would take Alabama making a lot of mistakes. The x-factor in football is always turnovers. We would need some help to hang with them, but anything can happen one time out of 100. That Alabama team is special though and they are loaded at pretty much every position on the field.

Top Bottom