Lineup so far

I really have no idea what to expect from Welch. My expectations are low, but I hope he proves me wayyyy wrong. I just don't want to get my hopes up for a player I've never seen play before.[/QUOTE

Maybe this will give you a better idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGqL0_tA5E0

Can't tell from the highlight film but he looks like a SG not a PG. I still have not seen a second PG on the roster, Andre Austin might be that, but he seems to be a natural SG also.

I agree on him being more of a shooting guard than a point guard. However when I was at the Golden Gopher Basketball Golf Classic last week, someone asked Tubby who his starting point guard was going to be and Tubby said Julian.

An observation on playing time-

Austin averaged 17mpg last season and Rodney averaged 24mpg. Austin with a year of significant minutes under his belt, plus Oto and Joe added to mix Rodney better improve his shot.

An observation on playing time-

Austin averaged 17mpg last season and Rodney averaged 24mpg. Austin with a year of significant minutes under his belt, plus Oto and Joe added to mix Rodney better improve his shot.

I'll give you another one: Rodney averaged more than 29 mpg while Austin averaged 7 mpg in the first seven games of the Big Ten season (prior to Al being lost for the year).

Having Rodney concerned about his playing time diminishing would be a nice problem to have, but I don't think such a problem exists.

I'll give you another one: Rodney averaged more than 29 mpg while Austin averaged 7 mpg in the first seven games of the Big Ten season (prior to Al being lost for the year).

Having Rodney concerned about his playing time diminishing would be a nice problem to have, but I don't think such a problem exists.

You don't think Oto, Coleman, and Hollins will compete to take some minutes from Rodney this year? I think there will be some healthy competition 1-3 this year.

I see this as the line-up to start. I just can't see Tubby starting a true freshman at PG and I think they need his scoring too much at the #2 spot.

1st team:

Welch
Andre H.
Rodney
Trevor
Ralph

2nd team:
Mav
J. Coleman
Austin H.
Mo
Elliot E.

With Oto and Chip inserting into either group to provide offense when needed.

Andre is a solid shooter and appears to be prepared to play point guard. Welch appears a very solid shooter as well. I think both guys are more athletic than blake, but have a slower shot release. I can't see either one of them shooting over taller players that often because of the slower release but with proper ball movement and spacing they could knock down a lot of uncontested 3 pointers because they are very capable shooters.

Having watched every UK game of Tubby's Tenure, I can tell you that you don't need a fancy passing point guard to win a lot of games. Andre/Austin/maverick can bring the ball up the floor for you guys against a press. Besides there are very few pure point guards any more. Most PG's even in the NBA are 6'4 or bigger and just pick and pop guys.

When in the half court, you should run a lot of pick and roll. They just have to be good enough ball handlers on the pick and roll. Pick and roll is about timing, technique and the proper decision.

The one thing I see on your team is a bunch of slashers. Also you have 1 really good post player(Mbakwe) and 2 pretty good post players(Ralph/MO) I think Rodney/Austin are the best athletes on the team and close to the top of the whole conference. Coleman and Andre both drive to the basket and finish pretty well so that leaves Welch/Mav/Chip. Chip is pretty good at getting in the lane, not so good with decisions and finishing. Welch appears a solid shooter at the very least and probably will play some PG too. Unless Welch totally bombs he's probably got the inside track on the PG spot, just remember the pg in your offense is just a guy to get you in whatever play you're going to run. It'll be interesting to see who is better in the fast break stuff because I think you'll be pressing a lot and will get a lot of run outs off long rebounds.

Andre in fact notagopherfan is going to get shots off over taller defenders for a couple reasons. 1) hes so quick people will be afraid of the drive by. 2) this kid gets unreal elevation on his jumpers. He hit 2 jumpers over 7 footer Dan V at pulley. 3) His release is a lot quicker than people are admitting

I'd be surprised if these aren't the starters by Big Ten play:

Andre Hollins
Austin Hollins
Rodney Williams
Trevor Mbakwe
Ralph Sampson

If Tubby wants to press, Andre is already showing that he loves picking up players full court and putting a lot of pressure on them. Tubby will love that. Like I've said before, I'll be surprised if Welch starts unless he's a monster on defense. Tubby may go with experience right away with either Mav or Welch, but I'm betting Andre is the starting point by Big Ten play.

Top Bottom