Sat 10/19 10293 Minnesota U +14 -110
12:00PM 10294 Northwestern -14 -110

Sat 11/9 10425 Penn State -6½ -115
12:00PM 10426 Minnesota U +6½ -105

Sat 11/23 10519 Wisconsin -10 -110
12:00PM 10520 Minnesota U +10 -110

Sat 11/30 10581 Minnesota U +14 -110
12:00PM 10582 Michigan State -14 -110

Two touchdown underdogs against NW? Ouch!

Thu 8/29 105 UNLV +16½ -110
12:00PM 106 Minnesota U -16½ -110

Sat 10/5 10195 Minnesota U +17 -110
12:00PM 10196 Michigan -17 -110

Sat 10/19 10293 Minnesota U +14 -110
12:00PM 10294 Northwestern -14 -110

Sat 11/9 10425 Penn State -6½ -115
12:00PM 10426 Minnesota U +6½ -105

Sat 11/23 10519 Wisconsin -10 -110
12:00PM 10520 Minnesota U +10 -110

Sat 11/30 10581 Minnesota U +14 -110
12:00PM 10582 Michigan State -14 -110

Two touchdown underdogs against NW? Ouch!

I hate to say this, but being under-estimated is a good thing...especially early in the season. While I don't think our team needs any additional motivation, being emotionally involved to prove the oddsmakers and media wrong; keeps your attitude and pride in check as you humbly outwork your opponents.

In fact, I saw a report (can't remember which) that had bowl projections: we were not projected to even make a bowl.

I have found simply listening to Jerry Kill's comments has been the best indicator of what the team will be like. Each of the last two years he has sounded more optimistic. I am used to being border-line offended by national outlooks for the Gophers and then having to admit later that they are usually right. However, I feel like they were 'off' a little bit more than usual last year, and this upcoming season may be even a bigger surprise for them. Vegas has money on the line so they can't afford to be lazy about it. The lines with the Gophres in the + side above are all wider than I would have guessed.

Lines are not to predict the final outcome but to get people to bet.

I have found simply listening to Jerry Kill's comments has been the best indicator of what the team will be like. Each of the last two years he has sounded more optimistic. I am used to being border-line offended by national outlooks for the Gophers and then having to admit later that they are usually right. However, I feel like they were 'off' a little bit more than usual last year, and this upcoming season may be even a bigger surprise for them. Vegas has money on the line so they can't afford to be lazy about it. The lines with the Gophres in the + side above are all wider than I would have guessed.

We have this discussion here before but Vegas usually doesn't care who wins the game as long as they half half of the money on both sides of the bet. That way they are guaranteed to make money. Their share is the 5% or 10% fee that is layered over the bet. When you annualize that, it is a hell of return. It is really legalized thievery.:pig:

We have this discussion here before but Vegas usually doesn't care who wins the game as long as they half half of the money on both sides of the bet. That way they are guaranteed to make money. Their share is the 5% or 10% fee that is layered over the bet. When you annualize that, it is a hell of return. It is really legalized thievery.:pig:

It's not stealing if people give you the money.

That is why I said it was legalized. A fool and his money is soon parted.

I have dropped a couple Gopher bets in Vegas before...and made a large bet in 2005 when Iowa St. beat MN in the NCAA Tourney...I was a big fool!

I have dropped a couple Gopher bets in Vegas before...and made a large bet in 2005 when Iowa St. beat MN in the NCAA Tourney...I was a big fool!

I was a big fool as well...we were in Vegas for the UNLV game last year and I believe the Gophers were something like 9 point favorites. Of course I put $50 on that one. Boo-frickety-hoo! Last time I do THAT!

They are a prediction of what the midpoint will be of people placing bets. As the bets come in the line will adjust to balance those bets.

They are a prediction of what the midpoint will be of people placing bets. As the bets come in the line will adjust to balance those bets.

That was very concise, clear, and simple description as to what lines are. How did you come up with that? Did you steal it from Parski?

Most of the lines look about right except NW. The Gophers +14 is a great bet, especially given that we will be coming off a bye week.

I think we beat UNLV by 10-13, so that looks a little high. Just don't think we have enough explosive players yet to blow other teams out. If we do win by that much it will be a great start.

If we have advanced to the level that I expect for this year, we should have no problem with UNLV. I look for us to roll over them...but, the line is still tricky. A dominating performance can trickle away down to like 34-20 when the ultimate outcome has already been established. I always judge a 'good line' as a line where I can legitimately see it going either way. That's the way I feel about this one.

GopherHomer it appears that you have forgotten the MN likes to spot a team 7 pts. You would be wise to add 7 to the spread when betting on the gophers.

The over/under on wins for Minnesota is currently set at 5.5.

I don't really care how big our wins are, but I certainly hope we win at least as many games this year as we did last year, especially with the non-conference schedule we have.

GopherHomer it appears that you have forgotten the MN likes to spot a team 7 pts. You would be wise to add 7 to the spread when betting on the gophers.

You just made me think of the NW game last year, and I threw up a little in my mouth...

+1 just like predicting the weather at this point. i predict it will be cold outside in January in Minnesota.

Top Bottom