Lindsay Whalen's advice for Ben Johnson: 'Grow and foster relationships' in Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per RandBall:

So while Gophers men's basketball fans might focus on unsigned top national recruit Chet Holmgren of Minnehaha Academy, the more likely scenario is that Johnson's success will depend on laying groundwork that pays off in three,four years.

"For him, continuing to grow and foster relationships in the Twin Cities as well as the state of Minnesota is something that is key," Whalen said. "Being from here and having played and coached here already definitely gives him a leg up in that area."

Go Gophers!!

Again, not a B-Ball person so only follow peripherally.

Realistically how is Lindsay doing? The AD certainly got good marks for that hire.

Covid certainly messed things up but is she showing what it takes to be HC?

She's doing fine. She's learned on the job, which was rough at first, but she's figuring it out.

Her culture is taking hold, the team is improving, and she's getting good recruits. She'll be a winner.

Again, not a B-Ball person so only follow peripherally.

Realistically how is Lindsay doing? The AD certainly got good marks for that hire.

Covid certainly messed things up but is she showing what it takes to be HC?
24-28 and 12-24 in the B10 the last two seasons...She is a winner and has a lot of pride...In a couple years if the program is still at this level I can see her walking away.

Whalen just heard her two seniors, Hubbard n LBK, decided to return for another season. If they can stay healthy her team should take a step forward next year. I am admittedly a fan of hers but it is too soon to determine if she will have long term success. Her Final 4 appearance, 4 WNBA championships and 2 Gold medals speak to her ability to win. That , however, does not automatically transfer to coaching. In her presser after getting hired she spoke of an IOU to the program of getting back to the Final 4. I think she is capable of that but I think she found out how steep the learning curve is as a head coach.

Top Bottom