Lincoln Riley to USC

everybody knows my name

Freakishly Hyperintelligent
Reaction score
I'm surprised we aren't discussing this topic, as it resonates throughout college football. It touches on realignment, the coaching carousel, coaching, recruiting, program rebuilding, and more.

Evidently Lincoln Riley didn't want to go to the SEC with Oklahoma, and maybe he felt he had something to prove, i.e. that he wasn't just born on third base; he's capable of hitting his own triple

So he's going to USC; a school with a great history and ample resources, that plays in a weak conference. In other words, a football program with great upside.

I'm surprised you didn't see the thread about coaches firing/hiring where we are discussing this topic.

USC "should" be great ... and yet hasn't been for along time.

I wonder about at what point a great job stops being great and the "should" stops.

There are so many fan bases in the SEC that expect national title contention every season and Oklahoma now joins the SEC west with a fan base that also expects national title contention every season. But, there are only so many wins to go around within any conference and there are very real prospects that Oklahoma becomes "Red Tennessee" and if so, look for them to be on the continual treadmill of coaching hire/fire/buyout. It would be what they deserve. F 'em. As a coach, with opportunities to coach USC in the PAC12 or Oklahoma in the SEC, with all other things like money being equal, which one would you identify as the better opportunity to win and contend nationally?

There are so many fan bases in the SEC that expect national title contention every season and Oklahoma now joins the SEC west with a fan base that also expects national title contention every season. But, there are only so many wins to go around within any conference and there are very real prospects that Oklahoma becomes "Red Tennessee" and if so, look for them to be on the continual treadmill of coaching hire/fire/buyout. It would be what they deserve. F 'em. As a coach, with opportunities to coach USC in the PAC12 or Oklahoma in the SEC, with all other things like money being equal, which one would you identify as the better opportunity to win and contend nationally?

Spot on. I think Oklahoma and Texas will regret the move to the SEC big time.

Go Gophers!!

Great move by Lincoln. Obviously for a young guy, much better upside in LA than Norman.

I hear OU thinks they're going after Kingsbury. That would be kinda crazy if they can snag him from an NFL team that is having an extremely good year and appears to have a nice future laid out with Murray at QB. Also factoring in the SEC torture chamber he'd be signing up for. Will OU offer $10 mil/year to try and get Kliff (or someone)?

Florida got their guy in Billy Napier (very solid hire, IMO). But damn, who is LSU gonna get? Surprised they are picking third here.

Washington also has to be kinda stressing. I haven't seen who they are targeting, but the big boys are starting to go off the board and lots of coaches getting big extensions from their current gigs.

Oklahoma may not have as hard a time in the SEC as Nebraska has had in the Big Ten. But that’s only because Texas will be all over that.

Go Gophers!!
It can go a good or bad for them. If they have the right coach I think joining the SEC will only assist them in recruiting. Texas A&M, Arkansas, and Missouri are going to take a hit potentially in recruiting. They just better hope it's a 12 team playoff and Saban retires soon.

Go Gophers!!
Yup.

Outside a very carefully constructed set of winners and losers is gonna likely end up perennial losers.

I think ESPN / the SEC sold them on being a super conference / dominating all of college football media and they didn't want to miss out / be left behind.... but I'm not sure that's a sure thing and now Texas ... if they remain Texas are going to like being 3 and 4 win teams ...

Riley's move is really interesting.

I guess not everybody in college football loves the SEC as much as ESPN does.

I for one rarely watch an SEC game.

I think OU and Texas just saw the writing on the wall and realized that a designation of a "P5 school" is going to become P4. I can see WV dropping out as well (their nearest conference competitor is about 900 miles away) and who knows, maybe Iowa State can join the Big Ten - leaving a smaller regional conference.

Last edited:

Short of collecting a massive check, I am failing to see why anyone would want the LSU job. You are essentially guaranteed to get fired. Ed O won a title 2 years ago and got fired. Alabama has tainted all of those schools, they just assume they go 50-4 over every 4 year stretch, sorry guys thats not a thing. I'm sure Riley was thinking that too, at USC they have had a pretty long leash on coaches and it shouldnt be hard for him to compete for conf titles. I think the same for Matt Campbell, I think he has a lifetime job at Iowa St, get a raise and just stay there. Why hop to a Washington/LSU, go 25-23 over 4 years and get fired.

Great move by Lincoln. Obviously for a young guy, much better upside in LA than Norman.
Right ....

... but the bigger thing, by far, is that OU is about to become like an Arkansas/Texas A&M level program, in the SEC.

Who knows how many decades from now it will be before their next conference championship.

And yet USC still can't seem to be a good as they 'should'.
A lot of the big time talent out west is in SoCal. Not all, of course, but a significant amount.

And if you're a kid who has grown up your whole life in SoCal, then committing to USC or UCLA means .... you're staying in SoCal.

Kids naturally want to get away from Mom & Dad and the family. It's just a thing, that every school every place in the country has to deal with.

I hear OU thinks they're going after Kingsbury. That would be kinda crazy if they can snag him from an NFL team that is having an extremely good year and appears to have a nice future laid out with Murray at QB. Also factoring in the SEC torture chamber he'd be signing up for. Will OU offer $10 mil/year to try and get Kliff (or someone)?

Florida got their guy in Billy Napier (very solid hire, IMO). But damn, who is LSU gonna get? Surprised they are picking third here.

Washington also has to be kinda stressing. I haven't seen who they are targeting, but the big boys are starting to go off the board and lots of coaches getting big extensions from their current gigs.

I know Baylor is trying to extend Aranda as quickly as possible, but until he signs that extension, he has to be at the top of LSU's list.

Could be!

Does anyone know how USC compares to Oklahoma on an academic level?
I know some people do not give it much credibility - but both Texas and USC are members of the Association of American Universities (AAU), a North American organization of 64 schools in US and Canada that recognizes academic achievements, research, etc. Oklahoma is not a member. 13 out of 14 Big Ten schools are members (Nebraska was kicked out about 10 years ago.) SEC currently has 4 members - Texas A&M, Missouri, Florida and Vandy.

I know some people do not give it much credibility - but both Texas and USC are members of the Association of American Universities (AAU), a North American organization of 64 schools in US and Canada that recognizes academic achievements, research, etc. Oklahoma is not a member. 13 out of 14 Big Ten schools are members (Nebraska was kicked out about 10 years ago.) SEC currently has 4 members - Texas A&M, Missouri, Florida and Vandy.

Thanks for the information and reply to my question.

Is it possible some of Riley's Oklahoma recruits might struggle with academic eligibility at USC?

Thanks for the information and reply to my question.

Is it possible some of Riley's Oklahoma recruits might struggle with academic eligibility at USC?
From what we've seen USC admissions .... there are ways to get in ....

Hard to imagine players didn't get in when maybe they otherwise wouldn't have too...

From what we've seen USC admissions .... there are ways to get in ....

Hard to imagine players didn't get in when maybe they otherwise wouldn't have too...

There are ways, if you're willing to face legal consequences, to get in. Yes. I wonder if there might be a bit of a 'chill' on that idea these days, though. Nobody wants to be perp-walked off to jail. Bad career move.

There are ways, if you're willing to face legal consequences, to get in. Yes. I wonder if there might be a bit of a 'chill' on that idea these days, though. Nobody wants to be perp-walked off to jail. Bad career move.
I think the exchange of money made it easily identifiable.

But athletes ... CFB cheating tends to be way more subtle than the akward high profile bribery we saw elsewhere.

OU is academically on the level of NDSU/UND.

From OU? There could be some really interesting guys available from there, if so
Yes. I think 6 or 7 ESPN 300 guys already, including the top ranked QB in class of 2023. I would imagine most/all follow him to USC

Short of collecting a massive check, I am failing to see why anyone would want the LSU job. You are essentially guaranteed to get fired. Ed O won a title 2 years ago and got fired. Alabama has tainted all of those schools, they just assume they go 50-4 over every 4 year stretch, sorry guys thats not a thing. I'm sure Riley was thinking that too, at USC they have had a pretty long leash on coaches and it shouldnt be hard for him to compete for conf titles. I think the same for Matt Campbell, I think he has a lifetime job at Iowa St, get a raise and just stay there. Why hop to a Washington/LSU, go 25-23 over 4 years and get fired.
You may not be wrong entirely, but Eddie O leaving LSU had a whole lot to do with some of Eddie's adventures off the field than just wins and losses. Eddie not always smart...

Top Bottom