Lincoln Kienholz -

Laker

Reaction score
Lincoln is a 4/5 star qb buried on the Ohio State depth chart. He is 5 on their depth chart. HS in South Dakota. Candidate for the transfer portal. Would look good in a gopher uniform next year. He is a sophomore

It would only make sense if he wants to be here (we probably won't win him over via NIL) and he is fine competing for the job. If he has talent, we need at least one more QB to compete even if Lindsay is the starter. I don't think bringing him in is going to upset Lindsay. He will beat out a transfer who has never started, even though he went to OSU.

I really like Drake Lindsay a lot and I suspect PJ does also. Have Jackson Kollack committed for next year. I see PJ adding a QB from the portal only for depth so it wouldn't make sense to get someone who's looking to be a starter. Kienholz would be better off going down to G5 or FCS level.
I also like him based on limited action against a FCS team and reports from high school.

A key to 2025 will be the staff's ability to fairly evaluate Drake Lindsay's readiness to face other Big Ten teams as a redshirt freshman starter, hopefully based on only practice reps.

I agree they don't need a transfer QB to start next year if they think Drake's ready. But it can't be biased by "he's our guy" because a lot of 3* redshirt frosh are not ready.

I wouldn’t promise him the starting job or anything, but I’d take him. I’d rather have four scholarship QBs than 3. If he transfers for playing time he probably will go somewhere other than here though.

I wouldn’t promise him the starting job or anything, but I’d take him. I’d rather have four scholarship QBs than 3. If he transfers for playing time he probably will go somewhere other than here though.
If Kienholz is looking for a chance to compete and is fine with being QB 2 if that's the coaches decision, absolutely I would love to see PJ bring him in. I can't imagine him accepting that, but who knows.

Who is the #3 qb today? The transfer from VA Tech or Max S?

Some pretty good points but still a guy like this might be attractive. OSU is loaded in the QB room with a lot of stud QBs. QB5 at OSU might be better than anyone the Gophers have. I think Joe Burrow was qb3 before transferring to LSU. Just something to think about.

Some pretty good points but still a guy like this might be attractive. OSU is loaded in the QB room with a lot of stud QBs. QB5 at OSU might be better than anyone the Gophers have. I think Joe Burrow was qb3 before transferring to LSU. Just something to think about.
Sorry dude, but QB 5 at OSU only looks attractive if he is willing to be a depth piece because we aren't desperate to find someone to step in and take the reigns immediately IMO. If he did transfer and proved to be unquestionably the best option, great. But I wouldn't promise him the moon and the stars to land him if I was PJ.

I really like Drake Lindsay a lot and I suspect PJ does also. Have Jackson Kollack committed for next year. I see PJ adding a QB from the portal only for depth so it wouldn't make sense to get someone who's looking to be a starter. Kienholz would be better off going down to G5 or FCS level.
I like that Lindsay is seeing action. If Wittke sticks around, he could possibly serve as back-up and allow them to redshirt Kollock next season. That's the old school QB succession framework, but that has been disrupted by NIL and the transfer portal.

It's hard to conjecture about Kienholz even though being buried on the depth chart at tOSU and that team's ability to bid heavily on experienced transfer QBs with the NIL may portend him leaving in a year or two. If our situation warrants pursuing him, then by all means do so, but we have a ways to go before our side of the equation shakes out.

Lindsey's high School stats and accomplishments are more impressive and he played against better competition. Kienholz may just not be that good. If he wants to play he should go to SDSU or NDSU.

I would rather have Ohio State's fifth best (or sixth or seventh) cornerback next year.

I think the OP's premise is that he is from SD and that somehow makes him have a natural affinity for MN when in fact, South Dakotans usually take a very dim view of Minnesota and the U in general.

LK is from Pierre. He originally committed to Udub before flipping to tOSU. Were we on his radar at all coming out of HS? I don't recall any interest.

My guess is that if he transfers, its FCS. And NDSU has a pretty good pipeline out of Pierre, and will need a QB next season. SDSU could be a landing place but the current starting QB has another year of eligibility (although he has said that after this season he's all in on the NFL, he's had a pretty shaky first three games. He may end up reneging on his NFL or bust intentions) and the heir apparent is already on campus.

If he wants to come and PJ is impressed by him, then we take him. Lindsey is still an unknown. We learned from the AK experience that we just don't hand people jobs, right? The more competition in the QB room the better, just like any other position. If one of them gets beat out for the starting job, the other will likely just transfer, but I'd rather have the best of the two than just pray Lindsey works out.

The only transfer in I’m interested in is a guy with starting experience and he and Lindsay can battle it out. Keinholz brings a star rating and literally nothing else and looked completely overwhelmed in his only meaningful action last year against Missouri

I think the OP's premise is that he is from SD and that somehow makes him have a natural affinity for MN when in fact, South Dakotans usually take a very dim view of Minnesota and the U in general.

LK is from Pierre. He originally committed to Udub before flipping to tOSU. Were we on his radar at all coming out of HS? I don't recall any interest.

My guess is that if he transfers, its FCS. And NDSU has a pretty good pipeline out of Pierre, and will need a QB next season. SDSU could be a landing place but the current starting QB has another year of eligibility (although he has said that after this season he's all in on the NFL, he's had a pretty shaky first three games. He may end up reneging on his NFL or bust intentions) and the heir apparent is already on campus.

The Gophers offered him in HS. He officially visited Wisconsin, Wyoming, and NDSU before picking up the Washington offer and committing there. Then he was lured away by Ohio St.

LK was overmatched as a true freshman last year, as are most true freshman QBs, especially one playing at a helmet school one year after graduating HS from the middle of SD.

He has a ton of talent though. He's by far the best QB to come out of SD since Josh Heupel, and even he had to go the JUCO route before ending up at Oklahoma and nearly winning the Heisman.

I would be very surprised if he ended up here, but someone in the P4 will give him a chance to compete if he decides to move on from Ohio St.

A pretty stupid take on dim view of Minnesota by a player from SD. Stereotype much? Common knowledge is that Texans and Oklahomans don’t like each other. That hasn’t stopped half of the Oklahoma team coming from Texas. How about Michigan and Ohio? Last 2 Michigan Heisman winners from Ohio

OTOH, Lincoln has had great coaching and goes up against great defenses in practice. He is just buried behind some players that are more talented and more highly rated in hs. Minnesota thought enough of him to offer him before. Do you Max is better? Max didn’t look that great against UNC. Immobile, KH will probably end up at Iowa or Wisconsin with the Gophers luck.

A pretty stupid take on dim view of Minnesota by a player from SD. Stereotype much? Common knowledge is that Texans and Oklahomans don’t like each other. That hasn’t stopped half of the Oklahoma team coming from Texas. How about Michigan and Ohio? Last 2 Michigan Heisman winners from Ohio

OTOH, Lincoln has had great coaching and goes up against great defenses in practice. He is just buried behind some players that are more talented and more highly rated in hs. Minnesota thought enough of him to offer him before. Do you Max is better? Max didn’t look that great against UNC. Immobile, KH will probably end up at Iowa or Wisconsin with the Gophers luck.
Yes I think Max is better right now.

There's a pretty stupid take in this thread but not in my post. I'm not a stereotyping at all. Rather, I believe the term is "lived experience." South Dakotans, at least East River, like the Vikings and maybe the Twins about Minnesota and thats about it. Nebraska is their FBS program (although that has waned with the Corn's descent to mediocrity; the vacuum has been filled by SDSU's success to some extent and about 14 people who follow USD).

As another poster noted, the kid had a Minnesota offer but never took a visit but he visited NDSU. That tells you all you need to know about Lincoln's view of Dinkytown. If Lincoln transfers and it's back to the upper Midwest, it'll be NDSU.

I don't know what the garbled mess of a second paragraph is about.

The Gophers offered him in HS. He officially visited Wisconsin, Wyoming, and NDSU before picking up the Washington offer and committing there. Then he was lured away by Ohio St.

LK was overmatched as a true freshman last year, as are most true freshman QBs, especially one playing at a helmet school one year after graduating HS from the middle of SD.

He has a ton of talent though. He's by far the best QB to come out of SD since Josh Heupel, and even he had to go the JUCO route before ending up at Oklahoma and nearly winning the Heisman.

I would be very surprised if he ended up here, but someone in the P4 will give him a chance to compete if he decides to move on from Ohio St.
He saw very limited action last season until their bowl and was forced into action with a lot of deep roster guys. I wouldn't judge his prospects on last years game action necessarily, but his place on the depth chart this year is probably telling.

He's shown a propensity to follow NIL. I don't know what kind of money he'd get thrown at him at the P4 level at this point but I'd bet the NDSU collective could get him close to 6 figures if they thought he was the future after Cam Miller. He may need to go to a lower level and adjust to the speed of the college game. NDSU has shown the ability to put QBs in the NFL, has a pipeline to his HS, and he's shown solid interest there as a H.S. recruit.

****Note, not an NDSU fan.

My guess is that if he transfers, it’s FCS. And NDSU has a pretty good pipeline out of Pierre, and will need a QB next season. SDSU could be a landing place but the current starting QB has another year of eligibility (although he has said that after this season he's all in on the NFL, he's had a pretty shaky first three games. He may end up reneging on his NFL or bust intentions) and the heir apparent is

There's a pretty stupid take in this thread but not in my post. I'm not a stereotyping at all. Rather, I believe the term is "lived experience." South Dakotans, at least East River, like the Vikings and maybe the Twins about Minnesota and thats about it. Nebraska is their FBS program (although that has waned with the Corn's descent to mediocrity; the vacuum has been filled by SDSU's success to some extent and about 14 people who follow USD).

As another poster noted, the kid had a Minnesota offer but never took a visit but he visited NDSU. That tells you all you need to know about Lincoln's view of Dinkytown. If Lincoln transfers and it's back to the upper Midwest, it'll be NDSU.

I don't know what the garbled mess of a second paragraph is about.
My point, however inelegant, is that in today’s world hate for another states football program is highly overrated. Maybe because I’ve lived in 7 states, I don’t feel an allegiance to any of them.
Lincoln will choose a program where he has the best chance to succeed and get exposure. If Minnesota has a good OF line and decent receivers it would be attractive to him. I’d wager that with 3 other talented QBs at OSU next year he will be in the portal.

Top Bottom