Lincoln Journal Star, Frost: if Martinez was healthy, different ballgame

swingman

Reaction score
3. Assessment of Martinez: One absolutely has to take into account Nebraska quarterback Adrian Martinez's health situation when evaluating his subpar performance against Minnesota.

Frost believes that. I certainly believe it.

"We took it into account before the game," he said. "Some of the option stuff and quarterback run stuff that we might have added to the game plan just wasn't going to be available to us."

Stop right there and think about it. If I would've known Nebraska wasn't going to have Martinez available in the run game — he carried six times for 2 yards (not counting two sacks) — there's little chance I would've picked the Huskers to win.

The conversation underscores Martinez's value as a runner, "and we have to play better around him," Frost said.

No doubt about that.

I wish they would’ve run more option. We stuffed it almost every time

That is offensive to our Defense and the improvements they have made. Where is Souhan? Frost is offending the rest of his offense by saying they couldn't overcome his decision to not run Martinez. He's offending the other QB's in the program that there is not a next man up mentality. I want Rossi's response to these offensive comments.

Well, if would have actually could have, he sure as hell should have.

Refresh my memory: What were the excuses used for Nebraska's 2019 and 2020 losses to Minnesota?

😂 i just read the whole piece. If only our local writers were as blindly positive as this guy. That he said if Neb had two former players on last week they win (i know he meant just talent wise) is hilarious. I think if the all Minnesota team played the all Nebraska team, MN wins easy

The facts seem to be that in addition to a serious jaw injury Martinez suffered from "a lower body injury".
That does not take away from the MN defense but what that shows is there is not one QB on the NE roster that is better than an injured Martinez.
Martinez will not be there next year along with most of their five and six year veterans.
Next year for NE is going to be more brutal for NE than this year is.
In addition the $ 20 million pay out will be decreased and the NCAA violations will be imposed.
NE may get rid of Frost for cause.

Nebraska media is hilarious. They still think Nebraska football is of the blueblood standing. Every year. No matter how many times it blows up in their respective faces.

Here's a clue: No matter how many excuses or explanations you trot out there for why your team gets beat by Minnesota on the regular, the bottom line is the team isn't good and neither is the program. In fact, with the record of "success" you've had since 2015, even us underlings in Minnesota would be demanding a coaching change. But you do you Nebraska. Maybe next time you lose, it'll be because of the turf, the weather or the game time.

When Nebraska comes off of their bye week they are going to get another dose of reality from Purdue.

It appears we have quite the rivalry developing here.

Are Frost and his cronies trying to distract from the won/loss record and creating a reason for the AD not to can him?

Interesting that Adrian was so banged up but yet the 1st play of the game they ran the option. Im no football coach but that seems silly.
They ran the option a good amount. Martinez got smoked multiple times after he pitched the ball. Couldn't have been that hurt.

Interesting that Adrian was so banged up but yet the 1st play of the game they ran the option. Im no football coach but that seems silly.
Martinez is so good that they benched him last year a guy who throws a football like I throw a shot put

They ran the option a good amount. Martinez got smoked multiple times after he pitched the ball. Couldn't have been that hurt.
I watched a bit of Frost post-game and IIRC he even admitted that a large part of the game plan was running the option. Couldn’t have been that hurt if they were game planning for it. The Gophs just did a pretty good job snuffing it out. Sounds like excuses to me.

If Bronko didn't get old, we win easy...
you-just-went-a-little-too-far-colby.gif

Also trusted him w the third down carry on the goal line. Can’t imagine it’s a good feeling watching your program slowly be surpassed by Minnesota.

Think bottom line is they know they needed to win this game to even have a chance to get to a bowl and didn't.

Winter is coming to Lincoln...

Yeah I call BS on this one. He wasn't moving around like he was injured during the game. Every friggin player on the field is dealing with some form of injury at this point in the season.

I am sure Frost if feeling the heat from what looks like it is going to be yet another sub .500 season so he is grasping at straws.

Plus, what does it say about his recruiting that he didn't have another option to put in there for his supposedly banged up QB?

So your leading rusher is your QB. And now he's supposedly injured due to taking so many hits? Shocking. You brought that upon yourself, Frosty.

Using injuries as an excuse is every bit as pathetic when other people do it as when we do it. Depth is part of the game, apparently Frost didn't have enough of it.

Top Bottom