Limegrover: Not gonna lie, this win was VERY sweet.

So Mason was advocating running the football on 3rd and 9 from the 12 yard line in a tie game with about 8 minutes left in the game? That's ridiculous. Mitch made a terrible throw at a crucial point in the game, but it was certainly not a mistake to try to actually score a touchdown.

FTR, I didn't agree, just found it interesting with the talk of that play here. Also, to be honest, not sure how much Glenn was saying we should have run or how much he was making a point of how folks will question coaches when they are conservative (i.e. Claeys at the end of the game) without considering that the downside of a turnover far outweighs that of only getting 3 points. His main point was that INT is where we lost the game (which I also don't agree with).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FTR, I didn't agree, just found it interesting with the talk of that play here. Also, to be honest, not sure how much Glenn was saying we should have run or how much he was making a point of how folks will question coaches when they are conservative (i.e. Claeys at the end of the game) without considering that the downside of a turnover far outweighs that of only getting 3 points. His main point was that INT is where we lost the game (which I also don't agree with).

Agreed.

Who wouldn't want Mason's opinion on late-game situations, considering all the success he had at that part of coaching? LOL

If Mase thought running was the way to go, then I'm strong in my belief that the pass was absolutely the way to play it. Unfortunately, the QB had his worst throw of the season on play. So be it.

Hope he is still relishing it when the entire PSU staff is fired this year or next.

When you lose in OT, there are probably ten plays that are "The Reason" why you lose. Sure, if there's no interception it influences the outcome of the game. But what about the awful defensive play where a DB fell off the PSU receiver, allowing him to run to the end zone?

More to the point, what about Barkley's 25 yard run in OT? It seems to me that was a more direct cause of the loss.

I had no problem with the play-call on the INT - just bad execution.

Where I thought the Gophers did get too conservative was the drive that led to the FG with about a minute left in the game. If they get one more 1st down on that drive, they could have run more time off the clock - maybe even run the clock down to a few seconds, and then kick the FG for the victory. Hate to say, but in previous years, the Gophers could trust the defense with a lead in a close game. This year, I'm not sure you can trust the defense at this point.

Where I thought the Gophers did get too conservative was the drive that led to the FG with about a minute left in the game. If they get one more 1st down on that drive, they could have run more time off the clock - maybe even run the clock down to a few seconds, and then kick the FG for the victory. Hate to say, but in previous years, the Gophers could trust the defense with a lead in a close game. This year, I'm not sure you can trust the defense at this point.

Agree totally, better off making sure you end up with the ball in your possession for the last drive of the game.

Where I thought the Gophers did get too conservative was the drive that led to the FG with about a minute left in the game. If they get one more 1st down on that drive, they could have run more time off the clock - maybe even run the clock down to a few seconds, and then kick the FG for the victory. Hate to say, but in previous years, the Gophers could trust the defense with a lead in a close game. <b>This year, I'm not sure you can trust the defense at this point.</b>

Not sure? You can't!

+1.....Get that 1st down, and you all but run the clock out before kicking the game winner.

+1.....Get that 1st down, and you all but run the clock out before kicking the game winner.

Look - I agree with you. Wish they hadn't been so conservative. But, I really don't have an issue with what they did. TC wasn't willing to risk another INT (or QB fumble, etc.) and assured we would lead with under a minute left. It is so easy to 2nd guess now, but had ML7 thrown another INT I guarantee you 75% of those mad we weren't more aggressive would be ripping TC a new one upset he didn't just play for the sure points.

Look - I agree with you. Wish they hadn't been so conservative. But, I really don't have an issue with what they did. TC wasn't willing to risk another INT (or QB fumble, etc.) and assured we would lead with under a minute left. It is so easy to 2nd guess now, but had ML7 thrown another INT I guarantee you 75% of those mad we weren't more aggressive would be ripping TC a new one upset he didn't just play for the sure points.

Agree.
Conservative vs. too conservative play calling.... Twas a fine line, & like you indicate, it is easy to second guess after the fact.

Go Gophers!

When you lose in OT, there are probably ten plays that are "The Reason" why you lose. Sure, if there's no interception it influences the outcome of the game. But what about the awful defensive play where a DB fell off the PSU receiver, allowing him to run to the end zone?

More to the point, what about Barkley's 25 yard run in OT? It seems to me that was a more direct cause of the loss.

Personally think that can be said for any loss and any win. Regulation or OT.

That picture: Does Pervert State really have 21 offensive linemen? with redshirts i suppose that's right, just seems like a lot.

That was not a good throw, but there were a cluster of plays that rank well above that one.

That's exactly right. Leidner played well in the game but made one big mistake that came at a terrible time. Still, he didn't make many mistakes. The defense on the other hand......

Hate to say, but in previous years, the Gophers could trust the defense with a lead in a close game. This year, I'm not sure you can trust the defense at this point.

Agreed. Maybe Claeys wasn't sure either but decided to give the defense another chance just for old times sake and figured with 59 seconds the odds were with him. It's probably hard for the former DC who was known for tough defenses to concede that his current defense is this untrustworthy but I would guess that the most recent evidence moved him closer to accepting that.

If we had a pass defense that was even close to average, I'd feel a lot more comfortable about the Iowa game.

Top Bottom