Lil Ricky on Defense

I like the guy and I'm sure he's a great person and I'm willing to give him more time but alchemy2u's correct. Richard was hired because of who his father is and NT assumed a lot of his father's coaching knowledge had rubbed off on him and he would be some great up and comer. Maybe some of his father's knowledge has filtered down but I would think if it had we would have seen some coaching greatness by now - at least in spurts - and I'm not sure we have...? Has he shown moments in a game that have risen him above any other random coach? Serious question. Every one of us have watched a game (any team) and thought, "This team won because of coaching" or even, "This team lost because of coaching".

I hope he is here long term because that would mean we are winning. I'm just not convinced today he will.

I'm not from Minnesota and only moved here as an adult so me questioning him has zero to do with him not being "one of us". I've never understood that mentality.

I like the guy and I'm sure he's a great person and I'm willing to give him more time but alchemy2u's correct. Richard was hired because of who his father is and NT assumed a lot of his father's coaching knowledge had rubbed off on him and he would be some great up and comer. Maybe some of his father's knowledge has filtered down but I would think if it had we would have seen some coaching greatness by now - at least in spurts - and I'm not sure we have...? Has he shown moments in a game that have risen him above any other random coach? Serious question. Every one of us have watched a game (any team) and thought, "This team won because of coaching" or even, "This team lost because of coaching".

I hope he is here long term because that would mean we are winning. I'm just not convinced today he will.

I'm not from Minnesota and only moved here as an adult so me questioning him has zero to do with him not being "one of us". I've never understood that mentality.

I thought during the NIT run, that our defense was playing at a pretty high level. Also after timeouts and inbounding the ball, we generally do well which is a partial reflection of how well coached a team is.

You also can't discount the job Richard did at FIU either. He inherited a dumpster fire of a program from Isaiah Thomas. Pitino was left with 5 scholarship players on his roster, and had to fill 8 spots during the Spring signing period. He made the conference championship game that year and lost by 2 points.

The bottom line is that Richard is young and he is oh so close to having 2 NCAA tourney appearances by the time he was 31 years old. That isn't by accident. Obviously, he needs to get there and not fall short, but I'm willing to give him more time. The recruiting classes have gotten better every year, which is a huge part in building a program.

^^Wish there was a 'like' button because I would have used it for DeathClutch's post.

I thought during the NIT run, that our defense was playing at a pretty high level. Also after timeouts and inbounding the ball, we generally do well which is a partial reflection of how well coached a team is. You also can't discount the job Richard did at FIU either. He inherited a dumpster fire of a program from Isaiah Thomas. Pitino was left with 5 scholarship players on his roster, and had to fill 8 spots during the Spring signing period. He made the conference championship game that year and lost by 2 points. The bottom line is that Richard is young and he is oh so close to having 2 NCAA tourney appearances by the time he was 31 years old. That isn't by accident. Obviously, he needs to get there and not fall short, but I'm willing to give him more time. The recruiting classes have gotten better every year, which is a huge part in building a program.

Agreed. A big part of why we lost to SD was coaching though. He went passive when we got up 6 and just tried to kill clock. That is inexcusable.

I loved fouling up 3 against Omaha and he absolutely coached great in the NIT tournament.

He is young and needs development, which as I've said, makes a lot of people here really angry in a big 10 job. However, as someone else also pointed out. That's the most likely way we get our K or Izzo. I was okay with the risk hire. Hoping it starts to pay off as this year continues/next year.

I thought during the NIT run, that our defense was playing at a pretty high level. Also after timeouts and inbounding the ball, we generally do well which is a partial reflection of how well coached a team is.

Agree, he's made excellent in game adjustments the last couple of years, my fear is that he still had some of Tubby's guys to do it with and that was part of the success he has had, Tubby could coach defense, his players were very good fundamentally, still undecided about Pitino. Will be interesting to see how Konate and Murphy develop defensively over time, neither are great at this point but both certainly have the physical ability to be very good.

I certainly agree that defense was sadly missing yesterday but even a simply average shooting day from Morris, King and Mason, or even any 2 of them and we would have won the game regardless of the bad defense. The coach cannot put the ball in the basket for them, that is on the players.

Mason hasn't shot particularly well all year although if he would have hit a couple of buckets more in the USD game, he would have been around his season average and that might have been enough to win a close one. Most of the credit for Joey's difficulties should go to USD's perimeter defense. They were on him like white on rice at the perimeter and he only launched 3 three pointers (making none). Most of his four field goals were near the basket. I don't know what was going on with Carlos in that game.

The old "not one of us" bs gets way too much play. It has nothing to do with Pitino, if he wins he will be one of us!

This is the only way we will get our own Izo, or K, so we need to give it time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Izzo was far more experienced when he ascended to the MSU job. He spent 16 years as an assistant including 12 at MSU so he had significant experience at the hiring institution and in the conference. He was also a DII All American as a player. Coach K was younger and less experienced than Izzo but he played under Bobby Knight at Army, briefly assisted him at Indiana, and spent five years as the Army head coach (where he had a three winning seasons) before getting the Duke job.

Izzo was far more experienced when he ascended to the MSU job. He spent 16 years as an assistant including 12 at MSU so he had significant experience at the hiring institution and in the conference. He was also a DII All American as a player. Coach K was younger and less experienced than Izzo but he played under Bobby Knight at Army, briefly assisted him at Indiana, and spent five years as the Army head coach (where he had a three winning seasons) before getting the Duke job.

Can't speak necessarily to Duke, but MSU was a far better job when Izzo got it than Minnesota has ever been. MSU was coming off of Magic Johnson and a national title. They could get a guy with experience and proven abilities like Izzo. Far less likely for MN to do that, so NT at least felt the only way we could is to get them early and hopefully be right.

Pitino had three years with Dad at Louisville, 2 with Donovan, 2 more between Duquesne and Northeastern before FIU where he had a resume topping year with what had been a sub 500 team. Add to that growing up in the Pitino household with a HOF coach as a mentor and I don't really see where you can fault the hire based on experience. I'm fine with starting to ask questions about the direction of the program now 4 years in, but you make it sound like Pitino was playing water polo at yale right up until he started at FIU and I don't think 7 years assisting and one year head coaching at a smaller school is as short a resume as you seem to think. Coach K and Izzo examples are balanced out by the fact that his dad started assisting in 1974 and was head coaching in 1978 at Boston University with half the resume that Richard had prior to starting at FIU.
Realistically if Pitino had come in and done here what he did at FIU in one year, he would have leapfrogged us to a better job. He is now stuck with having to have success here before he will get a sniff anywhere else as a head coach.

Top Bottom