Liam Robbins

SonoranGopher1

Reaction score
Watching Liams progression this year has me wondering if he will stick around for his entire eligibility. I am almost to the point where I would take him right now over Oturu because of his shooting range. Another year of improvement he is a certain NBA draft pick after next year. The fast break dunk he had today looked really athletic for a 7’ dude.

Also a shoutout to him for being the best 3 pt shooter on the team. Yes, for real. The 3 pt percentages from the team’s primary contributors through the Michigan game below.

Robbins 40.6%
Johnson 37.9%
Carr 34.4%
Gach 33.3%
Williams 28.6%
Curry 25.0%
Kalscheur 23.1%
Mashburn 21.9%
Ihnen 18.8%

Robbins has been amazing for us this year. I love his game and would love for him to play one more year. I think the kid has a chance in the NBA. He can shoot a 3. He can rebound. He can score low and he can block shots. All teams need guys like that.

Also a shoutout to him for being the best 3 pt shooter on the team. Yes, for real. The 3 pt percentages from the team’s primary contributors through the Michigan game below.

Robbins 40.6%iou
Johnson 37.9%
Carr 34.4%
Gach 33.3%
Williams 28.6%
Curry 25.0%
Kalscheur 23.1%
Mashburn 21.9%
Ihnen 18.8%
Ihnen 2 for last 23........shot 38% last year

Last edited:

You could argue that Robbins is our best player. His improvement over this season is remarkable. Future first round pick easy.

I'm starting to get a bad feeling he will head out after this year. The nba is all about age, there are very few players who seem to benefit from going back to school in terms of being drafted higher. One can only dream of carr Liam both etc all coming back next year

Robbins 40.6%
Johnson 37.9%
Carr 34.4%
Gach 33.3%
Williams 28.6%
Curry 25.0%
Kalscheur 23.1%
Mashburn 21.9%
Ihnen 18.8%

Liam has the best 3-pt percentage because he consistently takes quality 3-pt shots in rhythm.
Johnson also takes quality 3-pt shots for the most part. The others take wild, often contested shots.

Ihnen needs to stop shooting 3s and drive to the hoop. He could contribute much more if he'd be more aggressive and leverage his length. Ditto Williams.

Yeah, I have faith in him getting back on track with his shooting at some point, but he needs to put more emphasis on going to the basket. He's got nice touch around the rim and it's tough to contest his shots with all that length.

Liam has the best 3-pt percentage because he consistently takes quality 3-pt shots in rhythm.
Johnson also takes quality 3-pt shots for the most part. The others take wild, often contested shots.
I find the entire team to be shameless shooters. Our name should be the Minnesota Ball Jacks

Robbins is 4 years removed from HS. That along with the devaluation of the traditional center will make it hard for him to catch on. Also Oturu shot 36.5% from 3 and was two years younger. Superior production and was much twitchier. He has become a very good Big Ten player but I still struggle to see him in the NBA.

Watching Liams progression this year has me wondering if he will stick around for his entire eligibility. I am almost to the point where I would take him right now over Oturu because of his shooting range. Another year of improvement he is a certain NBA draft pick after next year. The fast break dunk he had today looked really athletic for a 7’ dude.

He had a great game. So nice to have a low post player that is efficient and can help create space for other players. Pitino did a really good job bringing him and Johnson in. This is the deepest team the Gophers have had for some time. No real liabilities out there like past teams.

I caught a replay of IL-OSU from ‘12 this morning. Robbins is Meyers Leonard reincarnated. Garza is better but Liam is so much more athletic than any big in the conference.

Liam has really developed. He improves almost every game and against really good competition. His shooting today was so fun to watch. Just needs to avoid foul trouble.

really enjoy watching him play the game. He is a hard worker and has improved so much. Thanks for being a Gopher

Really felt great for him - a tremendous game after the road loss at Michigan. I wish there could have been fans at the Barn! Even on the couch, you could feel the pins and needles.

Robbins has been amazing for us this year. I love his game and would love for him to play one more year. I think the kid has a chance in the NBA. He can shoot a 3. He can rebound. He can score low and he can block shots. All teams need guys like that.

I think so too but I don't see him leaving after this year although he may test the waters like Carr and others have done.

H

Hard to get in a groove when playing inconsistent minutes. He could be good and I hope the coach doesn't ruin him and he leaves. Love his long arms on d and rebounding!
Disappointed in his use rate this season but hard to argue that Johnson should not start. Ihnen still a critical piece this year and absolutely essential for a good season next year. Next year is his year.

Robbins is 4 years removed from HS. That along with the devaluation of the traditional center will make it hard for him to catch on. Also Oturu shot 36.5% from 3 and was two years younger. Superior production and was much twitchier. He has become a very good Big Ten player but I still struggle to see him in the NBA.

I don't find that possibility so unlikely at all. There are a lot of guys who make NBA rosters at some point in their professional careers even if they are not drafted and/or fail to make those rosters right out of college. Of course, many of them only make the rosters on short term contracts. Here are a few former Big Ten players whose college careers didn't exactly scream NBA material but are on NBA rosters this season:

Dakota Mathias (Purdue)
Bryn Forbes (Mich ST)
Jake Layman (Maryland)
Juwan Morgan (Indiana)
Kendrick Nunn (Illinois)
Jae'sean Tate (OSU)
Duncan Robinson (Michigan)

I also think that, to paraphrase Mark Twain, the demise of the NBA center has been greatly exaggerated, particularly for those who can shoot from outside. Big men still are entering the NBA with regularity every season.

Ihnen needs to stop shooting 3s and drive to the hoop. He could contribute much more if he'd be more aggressive and leverage his length. Ditto Williams.

Amen!

I don't find that possibility so unlikely at all. There are a lot of guys who make NBA rosters at some point in their professional careers even if they are not drafted and/or fail to make those rosters right out of college. Of course, many of them only make the rosters on short term contracts. Here are a few former Big Ten players whose college careers didn't exactly scream NBA material but are on NBA rosters this season:

Dakota Mathias (Purdue)
Bryn Forbes (Mich ST)
Jake Layman (Maryland)
Juwan Morgan (Indiana)
Kendrick Nunn (Illinois)
Jae'sean Tate (OSU)
Duncan Robinson (Michigan)

I also think that, to paraphrase Mark Twain, the demise of the NBA center has been greatly exaggerated, particularly for those who can shoot from outside. Big men still are entering the NBA with regularity every season.
The two added roster spots definitely make it easier to make the league.

I guess I am more talking about him possibly getting drafted. I agree there is a chance he could maybe eventually sneak in on a roster.

My guess is that the NBA folks would like to see Robbins get a little stronger. He has gotten banged around by some opposing big men including Cockburn from Illinois. In the NBA, Robbins would be facing guys that strong every night.

And the way the NBA game is evolving, there simply are not as many "traditional" big men any more.
You have to be able to run the court, guard away from the basket and pop the occasional 3-pointer.

If he can finish strong this year, then come back and get stronger for next season, then yes, I think he has got a shot at getting on an NBA roster. Maybe a two-way player to start and log some time in the G-League.

My guess is that the NBA folks would like to see Robbins get a little stronger. He has gotten banged around by some opposing big men including Cockburn from Illinois. In the NBA, Robbins would be facing guys that strong every night.

And the way the NBA game is evolving, there simply are not as many "traditional" big men any more.
You have to be able to run the court, guard away from the basket and pop the occasional 3-pointer.

If he can finish strong this year, then come back and get stronger for next season, then yes, I think he has got a shot at getting on an NBA roster. Maybe a two-way player to start and log some time in the G-League.
I agree although even in the NBA, he wouldn’t be going up against guys as big and strong as Cockburn regularly. Cockburn would be one of the biggest, strongest guys in the league right now.

On many of Robbins inside moves (particularly against guys close to his size, like the NBA) he is literally throwing the ball at the hoop. This seems to be mainly caused by poor footwork, I think he could spend at least one more year in college to work on and still see draft upside.

Ihnen 2 for last 23........shot 38% last year
I feel like most of the 23 have been forced and/or were within a minute of him coming into the game. Too many of our 3 point shots are just bad shots. When we move the ball around we are a very good team.

Top Bottom