Levine is a Golden Gopher

Saw him play once this year and he looked very good but so hard to tell with the speed positions in MN. MN speed can be molasses when compared to kids from TX, OH and FL.

Interesting that his profile lists offers from Columbia and Penn - Ivy League schools that don't have athletic scholarships.

Doh! :(

I haven't seen him play, but I do see 6'0 195 and immediately think "upgrade over Theret".

Say what you want about Theret, actually I think he is one of the best kids that Brewster recruited.

Interesting that his profile lists offers from Columbia and Penn - Ivy League schools that don't have athletic scholarships.

I see those offers and think, "Good news on the team GPA front!"

Welcome aboard Grayson!! Love to see MN kids, that really want to be here, get an offer.

Atta Boy Art. Way to go. you are an automatic negative. You rule. :banghead: :horse:

I can't believe Columbia and Penn thought they had a shot at a 3*

I'm kind of curious how often a guy would spurn an offer from a BCS school to go to an Ivy. I would absolutely take a full ride to Penn over the U if I knew there was only a small chance I'd continue on professionally. I'm sure it has happened before.

I'm kind of curious how often a guy would spurn an offer from a BCS school to go to an Ivy. I would absolutely take a full ride to Penn over the U if I knew there was only a small chance I'd continue on professionally. I'm sure it has happened before.

From what I understand, the Ivy League has NO Athletic Scholarships... Only Academic...So that means the guy might, just might, have a frikking brain????????????????????

Ivy League schools are notoriously difficult to get into. Northwestern, has similar academic standards, but athletes only have to meet set ACT and core course requirements for the school to get in. In the Ivy League a football offer allows the Athletic Department to help get you into school on a noncompetitive basis.

Levine is a good get. He is legitimately fast (anywhere he lives) and he is a tough kid. The biggest question of Levine is going to be his coverage skills because he played near the line of scrimmage so often. In my opinion, he was the best of the MN uncommitted group, so I'm really happy.

PS: Here is a highlight tape of Mr. Levine, I know i've posted this a couple times so I apologize if i'm being redundant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2byw7oZlBI

"which I heard was pretty tough this year with Brewster"

After the South Dakota game and certainly after the Northern Illinois game nearly everybody gave-up on Brewster. It certainly isn't a surprise that his players did. Take a look at the Dallas Cowboys and the Vikings this year. Does anybody think that there weren't players on those teams that quit on Phillips and Childress? Those players were even getting paid.

Hell, many of the trolls around here gave up on the Gophers when Mason was fired and won't start cheering for them again until Maturi is gone. Having some of those d-bags complain about quitting on the team is pretty entertaining.:clap:

Levine is a good get. He is legitimately fast (anywhere he lives) and he is a tough kid. The biggest question of Levine is going to be his coverage skills because he played near the line of scrimmage so often. In my opinion, he was the best of the MN uncommitted group, so I'm really happy.

PS: Here is a highlight tape of Mr. Levine, I know i've posted this a couple times so I apologize if i'm being redundant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2byw7oZlBI

Thanks for the info. I'm glad to have him, welcome aboard! Also not a bad idea for Kill to get off on the right foot with Grant at EP.

Don't know if you are saying this in jest or not, but my guess is if Levine didn't get a Gopher offer (or something comparable), he would have opted to get an Ivy League education, which ranks among the highest in the world. And it means that he's smart, because those schools just don't let in anyone solely based on athletic ability.

Don't know if you are saying this in jest or not, but my guess is if Levine didn't get a Gopher offer (or something comparable), he would have opted to get an Ivy League education, which ranks among the highest in the world. And it means that he's smart, because those schools just don't let in anyone solely based on athletic ability.

I think Art was taking a jab at the Gophers for recruiting a kid that only had offers from the Ivy League. Levine is a 3* recruit that that fits what Kill wants to do. I am excited to have Levine in the mix. Art made it sound like he was a zero star hometown offer that no one wanted.

I think Art was taking a jab at the Gophers for recruiting a kid that only had offers from the Ivy League. Levine is a 3* recruit that that fits what Kill wants to do. I am excited to have Levine in the mix. Art made it sound like he was a zero star hometown offer that no one wanted.

I am with you 100%. Levine is a scholar/athlete and my guess is he made it clear to those who were recruiting him that the scholar part was important and if a U offer wasn't forthcoming, he'd probably go the Ivy League route.

Art doesn't bother me as much as he seems to bother many here. I can't be mad at anyone involved in the importing or exporting of quality latex products.

I'm not taking a jab at the kid's ability. I just think it's odd that his profile lists offers from schools that do not give athletic scholarships. They don't exist so how can he claim to have one? Yes, I understand he may have some sort of academic deal lined up but that's not the same thing - not even close.

I'm not taking a jab at the kid's ability. I just think it's odd that his profile lists offers from schools that do not give athletic scholarships. They don't exist so how can he claim to have one? Yes, I understand he may have some sort of academic deal lined up but that's not the same thing - not even close.

Ivy League's don't have "offers" the same way that most schools have "offers", but it is different than simply enrolling at Princeton and trying out for football. What they usually do is recruit the kid in the exact same way that any other school recruits. Instead of getting a scholarship offer, they get a "likely letter". That letter states that the kid would "likely" be part of the school's freshman class. IF anyone knows anything about applying to an Ivy League institution, there is certainly something of value. That letter essentially comes in with a letter from the football coach telling the athlete that they would love for them to be part of the program.

It's not the same as a normal offer though.

That also goes for the military academies which don't have athletic scholarships (free for anyone who can get in). What does an "offer" mean there?

It's not the same as a normal offer though.

That also goes for the military academies which don't have athletic scholarships (free for anyone who can get in). What does an "offer" mean there?
The military academies have three ways to get in, Congressional Appointment. Athletic Appointment and Service Appointment. A Congressional Appt. is self explanatory, a Service Appt., is for a Service Member or their offspring.

The U needs guys like this. You can tell by the interview he will be the type of guy who brings out the best in his teammates whether he's a star himself or not.

...And if the players were allowed to run the "Asylum", you can't blame them....the Brewster coaching staff allowed that type of culture. Possibly Coach Horton reigned in some of the players a bit over the last month and hence you had a better last two game performance.
"which I heard was pretty tough this year with Brewster"

After the South Dakota game and certainly after the Northern Illinois game nearly everybody gave-up on Brewster. It certainly isn't a surprise that his players did. Take a look at the Dallas Cowboys and the Vikings this year. Does anybody think that there weren't players on those teams that quit on Phillips and Childress? Those players were even getting paid.

Hell, many of the trolls around here gave up on the Gophers when Mason was fired and won't start cheering for them again until Maturi is gone. Having some of those d-bags complain about quitting on the team is pretty entertaining.:clap:

Lots of kids who probably could play at the Big Ten level are going to still look long and hard at the Ivy league schools. Also, just because they don't offer athletic scholarships doesn't mean they might not be offering academic scholarships.

For example, if you don't think that McManus kid from STA could play somewhere for the Gophers, you're kidding yourself, but my understanding is he's going Ivy.

...And if the players were allowed to run the "Asylum", you can't blame them....the Brewster coaching staff allowed that type of culture. Possibly Coach Horton reigned in some of the players a bit over the last month and hence you had a better last two game performance.

Maybe, but those same players quit on Horton in the Ohio State game. It was Horton's stubborn determination to keep trying to pound the ball and keep Gray out of the QB spot against Penn State and in the first half against Michigan State that cost the Gophers a chance to win those two games too. No, cost them two wins period.

It was only when he starting to back-off those "principals" in the second half against MSU that they players started to really show what they could do on offense. Heck they were just allowed to do what they had done best all year. That led to the season ending victories.

Horton was the anti-Brewster personality wise and he beat Iowa. Great guy, but maybe he was as bull headed as Brewster. What I firmly believe is if he would have been a little less stubborn they would have won their last four not just their last two. So while the players certainly look like they quit on Brewster maybe Horton didn't reign them in as much as finally let them go.

I live in EP and went to 4 of their games this year. I had no idea Levine was on the Minnesota radar, but I can tell you that he definitely stood out in the games I saw. Always around the ball and making plays. Also did a lot of good return work.

Interesting that an earlier poster mentioned that he played around the line of scrimmage because I routinely saw him making plays while playing centerfield. But I always had a 3 and a 4 year old with me, so I wouldn't say that I was playing close attention.

Can't speak too much to his speed/athleticism because I wasn't really looking for it. I doubt he's really 6'0, 195, but I doubt any HS kid has the dimensions that they're listed at.

Lastly, he plays PG for the hoops team and certainly seemed to be the leader of the team.

Top Bottom