Let's trot out the tried & true "starting lineup" thread

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Assuming there are no more arrests, suspensions or felony charges in the next 48 hours, what's the starting lineup vs. the mighty Bulldogs on Thursday?

I say:

PG: Nolen
SG: Westbrook
C: Sampson
PF: Johnson
SF: Carter

1st Off the Bench
PG: Joseph, Cobbs
SG: Hoffarber
C: Iverson
SF: Williams

We still have some guys to work with. Though I suspect, starting both DJ & Carter might not work rotation-wise because now they both have to spend time at PF.

The rest...Mix and match and fire at Will.

We still have a great returning nucleus. what is more, it makes you appreciate guys like Westy and DJ who have been with the program a while and brought only good stuff. :) :) :)

still a shame to see that great 2009 recruiting class implode. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Tubby Likes 3G Lineup

F Johnson, C Sampson, G Joseph, Westbrook, Nolen.

backed up by

F Carter, Williams, C Iverson, G Hoffarber, Cobbs.

Assuming there are no more arrests, suspensions or felony charges in the next 48 hours, what's the starting lineup vs. the mighty Bulldogs on Thursday?

I say:

1st Off the Bench

We still have some guys to work with. Though I suspect, starting both DJ & Carter might not work rotation-wise because now they both have to spend time at PF.

It's not tired at all. I love it!!! Let's get back to basketball here!!!

A little "off-center" with the line-ups below. I'd like to hear what people have to say:
G-Cobbs
-I just don't care for Nolen on offense at all.
G-Hoffarber
-Shooter. Good passer. Basketball savvy veteran.
F-Johnson
-Best defender in Big 10.
F-Carter
-Needs to start because of rebounding skill.
F-Sampson III
-Nearly 7-feet. Better on offense than Iverson.

or

G-Nolen
-Veteran. Good defender.
G-Westbrook
-Leading scorer.
G-Hoffarber
F-Carter
F-Iverson
-Nearly 7-feet. Better on defense than Sampson III.

The key is having Hoffarber in the starting 5. Regardless of what happened last season, the kid can shoot!

It's not tired at all. I love it!!! Let's get back to basketball here!!!

A little "off-center" with the line-ups below. I'd like to hear what people have to say:
G-Cobbs
-I just don't care for Nolen on offense at all.
G-Hoffarber
F-Johnson
-Best defender in Big 10.
F-Carter
F-Sampson III
-Nearly 7-feet. Better on offense than Iverson.

or

G-Nolen
-Veteran. Good defender.
G-Westbrook
-Leading scorer.
G-Hoffarber
F-Carter
F-Iverson
-Nearly 7-feet. Better on defense than Sampson III.

The key is having Hoffarber in the starting 5. Regardless of what happened last season, the kid can shoot!

#2 is better. Cant start Sampson, Johnson and Carter cause that leaves only one big off the bench. I really dont see a way Tubby doesn't start Devoe. Put him with any two guards and bigs. Devoe will lead our team in scoring this year.

I really dont see a way Tubby doesn't start Devoe.
Why? He had a few good games last year, but for the most part, was a decent contributor. Sure, he could lead us in scoring this year, especially if he casts as often as he did in Tubby Tipoff (which shot selection Tubby won't let fly). However, Tubby seems to really value shot selection and quality of shots; he won't let any one member of the team cast that early in the shot clock, nor numerous baseline fadeaways from 15 ft. I understand it was a scrimmage, but whoever has that selection this year (no matter the player) will be on the bench.

He didn't stick out in any category numbers-wise last year, committed many freshman mistakes (like they all do), and will have to earn his time just like any other player on the team (similar to the way Johnson, Westbrook, Nolen, and Hoffarber did when they were sophomores).

I think Joseph is a good player, with the chance to be very good, and like him. He's a likeable guy; always smiling, plays hard, roots for teammates, etc. However, handing him the keys this early might be a mistake.

Yet, if he has a crazy breakout sophomore season where he averages 14+ pts a game, shoots a good percentage, and cuts down on TO's, play him 40 minutes a game. We just haven't seen evidence of that...yet.

I say:

1st Off the Bench

Even without the suspensions I wouldn't have been surprised if this was our starting line-up Thursday.

I'd imagine a really tall line up that would dominate the middle would be something to start the game nicely that can be converted into an offensive play calling game later

PG: NOlen
SG Westbrook
SF: Johnson
PF: Sampson

Top Bottom