Let's Remember Some Guys (MN pro sports edition)

coolhandgopher

Reaction score
Borrowing from old Deadspin's original series, let's remember some guys from the Minnesota pro sports scene of yore:
1631226478250.png
I loved the way Luis Rivas would turn a double play, I thought he'd be a fixture on the team for years.

Tod Murphy was a part of those early TWolves teams and my fond memory of him was an insult hurled by him at Randy Breuer as reported by some reporter back in the day, telling Breuer to go shave his back:
1631226828587.png

Willie Teal-forever remembered as the last final, failed line of defense against Tony Dorsett's 99 yard run:
1631227052907.png

Todd Scott--MNF brings about many painful memories for Vikings fans, but Scott's interception and TD return against Jim Harbaugh and the Bears was a wonderful exception to the rule:
1631227247821.png

I used to love me some Two-Minute Tommy Kramer back in the day, chucking it to Rashad and White. Sure, he could drink, but at the time who wasn't?

As a youth, living three hours from Met Stadium and only attending on altar boy day, Rod Carew signed autographs with grac.

Al MacAdam, who was always solid for the North Stars and absolutely great during their playoff runs in the early 80s.

1631249446515.png

I'll always remember Les Steckel and all the great things he accompli..... Wait, what?

I always liked some of the more obscure 60's era Twins like Ted Uhlaender and Sandy Valdespino.

but the all-timer might be Albert Williams, a Nicaraguan pitcher who - and this is true - once fought with the Sandinista rebels. Rebel fighter and Major League pitcher - now that's a resume.

Ron Coomer. 1999 All-Star by virtue of being the best hitter on an awful team. That was the All-Star game where they brought Ted Williams out. He looked like a kid meeting Santa.

Ron Coomer. 1999 All-Star by virtue of being the best hitter on an awful team. That was the All-Star game where they brought Ted Williams out. He looked like a kid meeting Santa.
Memories of Dave Engle, '84 Twins All-Star, come back to me. I remember being pissed as an 11 year old because he may have been the only position player not to get in the game for the American League. (turns out Engle's brother in-law is Tom Brunansky, another worthy remember some guys entry)

Steve Christoff.
Gopher
Olympian
North Star

I would have thought he was going to have a more storied career than Broten, especially after his first couple of NHL seasons.

View attachment 14386

I once wrote a little song (or a tiny part of one) about Bombo as a kid.
Was it this one?

Forward to about 4:40.

Was it this one?

Forward to about 4:40.

Wow! I have no memory of that at all. But....I may have heard it and had it influence mine.

Mine was more like a calypso style ditty (think Day O! by Harry Belafonte). My dad was a big fan and played him a lot.

"Bombo, Bombo, here he comes from Puerto Rico." That was the opening line. I had to shorten the Puerto Rico part to P-Rico to make it flow better.

"Hit the ball a mile or two while the chants of Bombo grew."

"The Met is the place to be, watching Bombo play with glee."

I can't remember the rest but I'm sure it was really, really good.

Top Bottom