Let's meet our new co-OC, Mike Sanford Jr (Matt Simon annouced as other co-OC)

I wonder if you do this ... do you get Mike and Matt on the phone / in person and have them talk / interview too?

Like guies let's talk this out and see what everyone thinks?

Like in the working world that's not unusual.

seeing a coach move around like he has with such short stints is an alarm bell to me. Hope my concern is unwarranted

PJ was in a predicament because he needed a QB coach. Lot of QB coaches are OC.

So looks like he did the best he could to fill that vacancy, while keeping Matt Simon with the best promotion he could muster.

Hope there aren't any personality/culture conflicts there!

Winning tends to smooth things over.......

I agree with this. Knowing how PJ has run this program so far, I bet culture fit was a top priority for him. I also agree with@AtTheLibrary that this feels like a recruiting-oriented hire.

Now the question is does Clay Patterson get the PGC title. We should also give healthy bumps to Kenni Burns and Brian Callahan to retain them. If we need to free up some $$,I know a ST coach we can fire...

Here are some examples of the players he was lead recruiter on while at ND:

How many of these recruits amount to anything? It is one thing to amass four stars. Is he a good talent evaluator? Is he detailed oriented? It is another to amass real talent or developed talent. There are many paper tigers around in big P5/D1 schools.

Penn State and Auburn (FIFY) are full of high stars. Minnesota defeats them this year with less talent on paper.

Last edited:

Seems like another masterful move by Fleck, only two days since the big win. Sanford's only 37 and already has HC experience. Great hire & great retention in Simon.

How did his systems at Boise, Notre Dame, WKU, Utah State compare to KC’s?

Good fit? I’m trying to figure this out.

I have 100% faith in PJ, but it doesn't look Mike Sanfords offenses have scored a ton of points... I hope I'm worrying about nothing

They scored fine to me. His Boise team did really well.

Likely it won't be "his" system, since Simon is on as co-OC. The two of them will work to put their touches on the current system we are running.

Great choice to keep Simon, a native MN born and bred. Simon is PJ Fleck's right hand man. Are they promoting Patterson? Simon is the one coach that has been with Fleck from the get go that he does not want to lose.

They scored fine to me. His Boise team did really well.

I guess what I’m asking is he’s been around long enough to form a “foot print” of his philosophy, other than the bouncing around from team to team. How does his offense compare/ contrast to KC? Is there an itemized list for why this hire was made?

I've been trying to figure this out as well. At Notre Dame, he was hired to be part of an offensive triumvirate with Brian Kelly and Mike Denbrock (who were both already on staff). So Sanford did not implement his own system over his two years there but rather infused ideas into a pre-existing system. That said, the offense did well. It also sounds like he did not get to implement his system at Utah State, so it's hard to get an idea of exactly what schemes he wants to run. The same thing is likely to happen at Minnesota though. He will probably be told that we are still running the same base RPO, spread, zone running offense as last year and he can implement wrinkles from there. And Simon can make that transition easier for him as well.

PJ has more money in his Assistants pool next year. I’m assuming Patterson & Simon both probably received a nice raise
Yeah, he has an additional million to spread around, so I'm assuming most people got a nice bump.

Doubt offense changes at all especially since Simon is still here. Hire is a recruiting bump and groomer for Simon. Makes most sense

This guy is being brought in for recruiting. End of story.

They are still going to run PJs offense.
I hope so. But I took a look at the 247 recruiting rankings for Utah State, and I kept scrolling...scrolling...scrolling...until I finally found them at #128. I know they only have 10 commits right now, but that and the player average doesn't exactly scream elite recruiter to me.

With the apparently significant external interest in this position that Fleck received, this is a choice that doesn't have me jumping up and singing the Rouser.

Likely it won't be "his" system, since Simon is on as co-OC. The two of them will work to put their touches on the current system we are running.
I would not be surprised if Fleck laid out the pre-reqs for the job as: 1) has to be the same system we ran this year, and 2) Simon will handle at least some of the play calling.

I hope so. But I took a look at the 247 recruiting rankings for Utah State, and I kept scrolling...scrolling...scrolling...until I finally found them at #128. I know they only have 10 commits right now, but that and the player average doesn't exactly scream elite recruiter to me.

With the apparently significant external interest in this position that Fleck received, this is a choice that doesn't have me jumping up and singing the Rouser.

Simon was promoted. Bring in Sanford to recruit CA/TX. Was successful at his last P5 stop. All of his metrics show USU as somewhat of a off year.

I would not be surprised if Fleck laid out the pre-reqs for the job as: 1) has to be the same system we ran this year, and 2) Simon will handle at least some of the play calling.
I wouldn't be shocked if Simon handles all the play calling.

Reddit says he’s a good recruiter but they did not like what he did as oc last year at Utah state with a nfl qb. My reaction is I’m happy Simon was promoted too. He’s the x and o guy.

Sounds like USU only returned 1 starter this year on offense so that may explain at least some of the offensive struggles. Seemed to have good success as Notre Dame OC a couple years back.

Top Bottom