Let's have a talk about kickoffs (big analytics surprise)

Is there a significant outcome difference if say you start on the 20 vs the 25?

Or does it maybe not matter as much as the opposing defense vs offense?

I'm resurfacing this thread from last season because the same pattern is happening in 2023.

Dragan Kesich is 24 for 28 at touchback kickoffs this season. He's got a monster leg and leads the Big Ten in touchback %

Northwestern is dead last in Touchback %, sending only 7 of 26 kickoffs into the end zone.

Guess which team leads the Big Ten in worst opponent starting field position? Northwestern. Guess which team allows the best? Minnesota.

Kesich is the best player on the team at what he does. But please stop the Happy Gilmore monster kickoffs. 25 yard line changed things. The data is becoming too much to ignore.

View attachment 27741
I have zero issue with having the other team start on the 25 after every kickoff. If your kicker can boom it out of the endzone everytime you do it.

I'd like to see kickoffs that go into the endzone rewarded. If it is not returned, the 20 yard line is where the ball is placed.
For our Gophers, what has to happen for Hoskins to get a look? I'm not touting an Iowa debut but it would have been nice to see with Michigan

I have zero issue with having the other team start on the 25 after every kickoff. If your kicker can boom it out of the endzone everytime you do it.
The data is consistently showing that this might not be optimal strategy. I assumed it was but maybe it isn't.

Everyone's afraid of the one big run-back, but if you have an average coverage unit over the course of a season kicking it short seems to come out ahead.

The data is consistently showing that this might not be optimal strategy. I assumed it was but maybe it isn't.

Everyone's afraid of the one big run-back, but if you have an average coverage unit over the course of a season kicking it short seems to come out ahead.
Have no data to back it up but wonder if the analytics would flip some if you can get a touchback on 85-90% of your kickoffs the way we can. Looking at the Big Ten stats, most teams aren't anywhere close to that percentage. The thing I don't know is if that is by design or because their kicker can't do it.

The kickoff return has been severely limited in the NFL with a very high percentage of the kickoffs resulting in touchbacks now. Most of the league is over 75% touchbacks in 2023.

To me it comes down to this.....is it worth the risk of a long return to potentially have a team start with slightly worse field position? I am sure some would feel it is, but if Kesich is my kicker I am telling him to put it out the back of the endzone every time.

I'd like to see kickoffs that go into the endzone rewarded. If it is not returned, the 20 yard line is where the ball is placed.
For our Gophers, what has to happen for Hoskins to get a look? I'm not touting an Iowa debut but it would have been nice to see with Michigan
We don't return kickoffs and we have Tyler back there who has a history of TD's on kick return. No need to switch.

Have no data to back it up but wonder if the analytics would flip some if you can get a touchback on 85-90% of your kickoffs the way we can. Looking at the Big Ten stats, most teams aren't anywhere close to that percentage. The thing I don't know is if that is by design or because their kicker can't do it.

The kickoff return has been severely limited in the NFL with a very high percentage of the kickoffs resulting in touchbacks now. Most of the league is over 75% touchbacks in 2023.

To me it comes down to this.....is it worth the risk of a long return to potentially have a team start with slightly worse field position? I am sure some would feel it is, but if Kesich is my kicker I am telling him to put it out the back of the endzone every time.
From the eye test, many teams hit it high and try to get it to land inside the 5 or around the goal line to make the returner make a decision. Hangtime is better than driving the ball. I would say a lot of teams put more design into their kickoff teams. We rarely make the 20 when we do return. We average 11 yards on 12 returns and our opponents average 29 yards on 4 returns. Looks like giving them the 25 is a good decision.

I'm resurfacing this thread from last season because the same pattern is happening in 2023.

Dragan Kesich is 24 for 28 at touchback kickoffs this season. He's got a monster leg and leads the Big Ten in touchback %

Northwestern is dead last in Touchback %, sending only 7 of 26 kickoffs into the end zone.

Guess which team leads the Big Ten in worst opponent starting field position? Northwestern. Guess which team allows the best? Minnesota.

Kesich is the best player on the team at what he does. But please stop the Happy Gilmore monster kickoffs. 25 yard line changed things. The data is becoming too much to ignore.

View attachment 27741
Just so you know, this data does not count fair catches as touchbacks nor does it account for kickoffs out of bounds.

We also have statistically looked like one of the worst teams defending kickoffs as we have had 4 returns and one of those was a huge return for 60+ yards

we also are dead last in kickoff return average when we do return it with 12 returns for 134 yards.

Last edited:

We don't return kickoffs and we have Tyler back there who has a history of TD's on kick return. No need to switch.
Up until halfway through the Michigan game it has been Redding. They flipped the “up” and “deep” man so Redding was the “up” man. It didn’t matter as they still didn’t allow Tyler to return one.

Everyone is afraid of the opponent starting at the 25 instead of the 20 too .... but I'm not sure we know if that really is a difference maker vs everything else that happens in a game.

I think Fleck answered part of the solution in his discussion of Iowa and special teams on his radio show. He talked about kids from Iowa wanting to play for Iowa. It got me thinking about local recruiting and walk-ons. I feel more emphasis on special teams recruiting and a more dynamic approach to it would assist in making special teams better. Get a better special teams coach, make it something that players want to be a part of, and who knows, it might even lead to some diamonds in the rough that play for you on offense or defense. Fleck has to do better in this area.

Tyler Nubin should not have to be on kick coverage. There are 100 players on the team and players should want to be part of the special teams that can impact the game positively. Who wants to be a part of Fair Catch University?

I think Fleck answered part of the solution in his discussion of Iowa and special teams on his radio show. He talked about kids from Iowa wanting to play for Iowa. It got me thinking about local recruiting and walk-ons. I feel more emphasis on special teams recruiting and a more dynamic approach to it would assist in making special teams better. Get a better special teams coach, make it something that players want to be a part of, and who knows, it might even lead to some diamonds in the rough that play for you on offense or defense. Fleck has to do better in this area.

Tyler Nubin should not have to be on kick coverage. There are 100 players on the team and players should want to be part of the special teams that can impact the game positively. Who wants to be a part of Fair Catch University?
I’ll do kick coverage…

Gonna need to warm up the injury cart but I’m good for one or two coverages….

Am I reading this right, we are struggling with in-state recruiting because we fair catch too many kickoffs? That's certainly a new one.

Am I reading this right, we are struggling with in-state recruiting because we fair catch too many kickoffs? That's certainly a new one.
It's simply another way to get in-state kids excited to play for the Gophers.

Seems like analytics are applicable insofar as Fleck has an average special teams unit in terms of preventing returns or making returns.

Do we have any confidence that’s the case? Small sample size but looks like the Gophers have given up more return yards and returned the ball worse than the expected average

Coaching, personnel, or combination.

Is there a significant outcome difference if say you start on the 20 vs the 25?

Or does it maybe not matter as much as the opposing defense vs offense?
I doubt enough to affect the outcome of a game.

I would think the negative affect of one long return would greatly outweigh any benefit of the 5 yards of difference.

Usage tip. Before you comment on an "Advanced Football Analytics" article not being about football analytics, maybe you should actually glance at the article.
It's an analytics article for sure. Only issue might be that it's from 2009 and I think the NFL has made some changes to make onside kicks harder.

From the analysis, it does seem that teams should try a couple surprise onside kicks per year. Any more and it wouldn't be a surprise.

Seems like analytics are applicable insofar as Fleck has an average special teams unit in terms of preventing returns or making returns.

Do we have any confidence that’s the case? Small sample size but looks like the Gophers have given up more return yards and returned the ball worse than the expected average

Coaching, personnel, or combination.
Probably lack of emphasis in practice or, in other words, coaching.

I was playing around with the Big Ten team stats now that the regular season is in the books. There were a lot of strong performances around the squad, but one player and one unit stood out head-and-shoulders above all other Big Ten teams.

Dragan Kesich was dragon-mode all year long. Just blew away every other kicker in the Big Ten in touchback %. Kesich had 86.6% of his kickoffs end in touchbacks, with his next closest competitor well behind. (Maryland - 69% and Michigan - 67%). Conference average was below 50%.

What did this get the Gophers opponents? The third best starting field position on kickoffs in the conference. 😲

All these kickoffs on average netted the Gophers 40.7 yards, or nearly exactly what a touchback nets (40 yards, or the distance from the 35 to the 25). This means opponents started on the 24.3 after our kickoffs, on average.

Most teams with much worse kicking performances had their opponents starting between the 20 and 25 on average. The worst touchback kicker in the Big Ten (Northwestern, 21%) yielded the worst opponent starting field position off kickoffs, or the 19.6 yard line on average.

Does it make analytics sense in college football to avoid touchbacks and run down and cover?

View attachment 22195
the problem is he hasn't had enough kickoffs.

Top Bottom