Let's burn timeouts

PJ is great at many things and it is easy to support a team that has had no disgusting controversies during his tenure, leads the NCAA in GPA etc. He's recruited better than past coaches and we finally seem to have quite a bit of depth. This team is a winner. However, I agree his game-time management skills are not his strength and some of those timeouts are simply head scratchers. He'll get better. I'm glad he's so good at so many other aspects of the game. It's fun to be a gopher fan these days.

They should use their time outs whenever they think they should...
Yeah, in the first half we burned the first timeout because the players were having trouble getting lined up and it would have resulted in a penalty for delay of game. We can quibble about how the others were used but we have a lot of fans that worry way too much about our timeout usage in games.

Fleck figures a TO is better used than a 5 yard penalty or a big play by the opposing offense. Remember, you don’t get to save unused TO or cash them in like frequent flyer miles. He doesn’t waste them, he doesn’t use them traditionally, and it makes some people crazy or drink too much. It’s important to understand the coach knows more than you do.

Rinse. Repeat.

Yeah, in the first half we burned the first timeout because the players were having trouble getting lined up and it would have resulted in a penalty for delay of game. We can quibble about how the others were used but we have a lot of fans that worry way too much about our timeout usage in games.

Especially in the first half, TOs are rather overrated. If they carried over they would have way more value. He should use them when he feels it is necessary.

Since the clock stops until the ball is set using a TO to avoid penalties or because the matchups suck is a smart move.

Next week I expect PJ to use his first three timeouts this way:

First - Coming out of the tunnel.
Second - During the national anthem.
Third - So the caption can look over to the sidelines for ten seconds before calling heads or tails.
Yes I too think this guy is drunk. Glad I never had a co-worker with an attitude like this as well.

There are all sorts of people out there. I think most of them are not worried about timeouts.

I personally have no issue with his timeout use in the 1st half, especially since he has zero proclivity for a two minute drill. I think he has been fine with timeout use in the 2nd half as well. In competitive games, I think he has only used them in high leverage situations.

Traditional coaching mindset, which includes a 4-minute and 2-minute offense for the end of the half and game, requires timeouts to make those drills work.

By relying exclusively on prevent offense and kneel offense to end the first half (we can only hope we don't find out the plan for end-of-game trailing scenario) Fleck really doesn't need TOs and is free to use them prior to punting.

Fleck figures a TO is better used than a 5 yard penalty or a big play by the opposing offense. Remember, you don’t get to save unused TO or cash them in like frequent flyer miles. He doesn’t waste them, he doesn’t use them traditionally, and it makes some people crazy or drink too much. It’s important to understand the coach knows more than you do.

Rinse. Repeat.
I mean not having it hurt the team.

they called timeout to avoid penalty. Scored two plays later. Good decision to take the timeout

BUT

need to do a better job Monday to Friday so don’t need to burn a timeout because of a subbing mishap. Maybe the team is up 14 instead of 7 at the half.

So im not critical of the timeout. I’m critical of whatever prep was messed up to make the timeout necessary

Traditional coaching mindset, which includes a 4-minute and 2-minute offense for the end of the half and game, requires timeouts to make those drills work.

By relying exclusively on prevent offense and kneel offense to end the first half (we can only hope we don't find out the plan for end-of-game trailing scenario) Fleck really doesn't need TOs and is free to use them prior to punting.
Seems to me they thought they had a play on second down (that they later used to score a touchdown to Irving in second half) that would score. And said going into the half either this play is getting us a big chunk or we are kicking field goal. Didn’t want Maryland to get the ball back at all up 7 and receiving the kick.

Blocked. Kick. Could’ve been tied.
I don’t like it necessarily but I get the strategy.

Shitty teams don't call time outs when lined up wrong or confused.

Top Bottom