Let's all get our dime down: FleckBall

RememberMurray

Reaction score
My definition of FleckBall is:

1) A huge, powerful offensive line, capable at pass blocking but more focused on domination in the run game.

2) Solid, not spectacular, running backs.

3) A QB who understands the RPO intimately, who can run the offense in his sleep, and who is first and foremost a leader.

4) Tight ends who are dominating blockers, highly physical, but who can also occasionally leak out into pass patterns.

5) Smart, gifted wide receivers who block downfield, understand the scheme, and can make plays when necessary.

6) A defensive line that follows the scheme first and foremost.

7) Smart, tough, mobile linebackers.

8) Corners and safeties who are solid tacklers, physical in coverage and against the run game.

-------

I think it is perfect for the B1G.

On offense: PLAY SMART. Block well, run hard, eat the clock, don't turn the ball over, don't take penalties.

On defense: PLAY SMART. Keep the ball in front of you, mind your assignments, don't miss tackles. Controlled aggression.

The reputation is out about how Fleck likes to milk the clock on offense.
The other Big Ten coaches are talking about it and it's frustrating their offenses because they have such few chances.

I wonder how Wake Forest would have done against Fleck ball today.
They only had 17 minutes of possession but scored 70.

However, he does have a huge line of 23 year olds this year. He has what he has in the here and now. He is living in and coaching in the present moment, IMHO.
True, but it’s no mistake that the key to winning in this league is line play on both sides of the ball. We are finally building depth and it's paying off. Our rivals WI and IA are long established. If you want to win in this league it's about playing disciplined mistake free football, playing solid D, and controlling line play on both sides of the ball.

1) A huge, powerful offensive line, capable at pass blocking but more focused on domination in the run game.

3) A QB who understands the RPO intimately, who can run the offense in his sleep, and who is first and foremost a leader.

4) Tight ends who are dominating blockers, highly physical, but who can also occasionally leak out into pass patterns.

5) Smart, gifted wide receivers who block downfield, understand the scheme, and can make plays when necessary.

8) Corners and safeties who are solid tacklers, physical in coverage and against the run game.

-------

On offense: PLAY SMART. Block well, run hard, eat the clock, don't turn the ball over, don't take penalties.

On defense: PLAY SMART. Keep the ball in front of you, mind your assignments, don't miss tackles. Controlled aggression.
1. The Gophers are masters of the jab. They tenderized their opponents with the run and TOP game. They play a disciplined rope-a-dope defense. Before you know it, they KO the opponent.

2. They have the wherewithal to take an opponent out with runs, passes, or both in their RPO scheme. They are in no hurry to be sexy (borrowing the concept from JJ from Corn Nation after the Nebraska meltdown).

3. PJ Fleck lives rent-free inside the heads of Brohm, Frost, and others.

Don't look now but Bucko is already showing signs of being a very good back.

Very much like Ibrahim in seeing the plays develop but more important can bounce and redirect very, very fast.

Coming to expect a significant run every time he's lined up in the backfield.

I don’t think our goal should be Iowa or Wisconsin (particularly the 2021 severely constipated versions). Bend but don’t break D, balanced offense seems achievable for MN in 2021. The top teams have moved beyond tresselball for a reason - it’s easier to spread out and score on elite defenses.

The passing game feels like it has the various bits and pieces but hasn’t put it all together yet.

Disclaimer: not a coach, just an interested observer.

I don’t think our goal should be Iowa or Wisconsin (particularly the 2021 severely constipated versions). Bend but don’t break D, balanced offense seems achievable for MN in 2021. The top teams have moved beyond tresselball for a reason - it’s easier to spread out and score on elite defenses.

The passing game feels like it has the various bits and pieces but hasn’t put it all together yet.

I think Fleck has shown a willingness to be aggressive in moments. Sometimes I wish it was more. But it is what it is

I think Fleck has shown a willingness to be aggressive in moments. Sometimes I wish it was more. But it is what it is

If you look at our passing stats, they don't impress, that's for sure. But there is one passing category in which we rate pretty high: average yards gained per pass attempt. We average 8.2 yards every time we throw. We're #4 in the B1G in that category.

If you look at our passing stats, they don't impress, that's for sure. But there is one passing category in which we rate pretty high: average yards gained per pass attempt. We average 8.2 yards every time we throw. We're #4 in the B1G in that category.

Yeah. and there have been individual games where we have been really aggressive passing wise. Those are power 5 games where people stack the box.
Nebraska 2021
Purdue 2020
Auburn
Iowa
Penn state
Purdue 2019
Indiana
Illinois 2018

We are less aggressive when we are bad.

It seemed to my eye that we did a lot more RPO in 2019, with Morgan counting the players in the box, making a quick read while he held the ball in the running back's belly, and then handing it to him or pulling the ball back and throwing a quick pass based on that read. It seemed like it was an almost automatic decision, based on what he saw the defense doing.

-------

Coach Murray ... Good thread subject and good comments.

Following an absolutely dominating run game performance, rivaling anything Mason, Eslinger, Barber and Maroney brought, I must report an ear to the ground is catching a slight rumble from the Ceyboard Corridinator Consultants (CCC) that I must share.

It seems the CCC is wondering if Fleckball means a permanent Prevent Offense drill at the end of the first half or does it only depend on who wins the coin toss? You will recall the past two Saturdays where Coach has explained shutting down the wildly efficient offense with plenty of time to score because -- " ... we get the ball to start the second half."

So, if we lose the coin toss and kick to start the second half, would that mean our wildly efficient offense would race down the field ala The Ohio State last night in the rain when already leading by 30? Or do we still go into Prevent Offense, Kneel if Necessary at the end of every first half regardless?

As to the question of do we stick with Prevent Offense when trailing at the end of the game, many CCCs have reviewed tape of The Bowling Green and come away worried.

Your definition of Fleckball seemed reasonable and near spot on. For a complete understanding could you please flesh it out to encompass the best use of Prevent Offense?

I would say that the system you use reflects the level of athletes you are able to recruit. If you can recruit Ohio State-level athletes, then you can play that type of system.

If you cannot recruit athletes of that level, then you need to play a system that maximizes the available talent while minimizing or hiding your weaknesses.

Mason and Kill each tried to do that with varying levels of success.

Fleck certainly seems to have a blueprint he follows. the question is - would that blueprint change or be adjusted if the Gophers could attract a higher level of athletes?

Coach Murray ... Good thread subject and good comments.

Following an absolutely dominating run game performance, rivaling anything Mason, Eslinger, Barber and Maroney brought, I must report an ear to the ground is catching a slight rumble from the Ceyboard Corridinator Consultants (CCC) that I must share.

It seems the CCC is wondering if Fleckball means a permanent Prevent Offense drill at the end of the first half or does it only depend on who wins the coin toss? You will recall the past two Saturdays where Coach has explained shutting down the wildly efficient offense with plenty of time to score because -- " ... we get the ball to start the second half."

So, if we lose the coin toss and kick to start the second half, would that mean our wildly efficient offense would race down the field ala The Ohio State last night in the rain when already leading by 30? Or do we still go into Prevent Offense, Kneel if Necessary at the end of every first half regardless?

As to the question of do we stick with Prevent Offense when trailing at the end of the game, many CCCs have reviewed tape of The Bowling Green and come away worried.

Your definition of Fleckball seemed reasonable and near spot on. For a complete understanding could you please flesh it out to encompass the best use of Prevent Offense?

Hmmm. A question for you, sir:

Did you see the entire game, or only the end of the first half?

I would say that the system you use reflects the level of athletes you are able to recruit. If you can recruit Ohio State-level athletes, then you can play that type of system.

If you cannot recruit athletes of that level, then you need to play a system that maximizes the available talent while minimizing or hiding your weaknesses.

Fleck certainly seems to have a blueprint he follows. the question is - would that blueprint change or be adjusted if the Gophers could attract a higher level of athletes?

A great question. My guess: the offense is based on Fleck's deeply-held beliefs and his core philosophy as a football coach. He appears to be committed 100% to this style of football. When you have a Rashod Bateman, of course you tap into his amazing abilities. But FleckBall (like TresselBall) will remain roughly the same: grind the clock, dominate time of possession, the ball is the program, etc.

Last edited:

Taking all day to snap the ball is fine but be prepared to play with a faster tempo when needed.

Football these days is becoming basketball on turf.

Fleck, Ferentz and Chryst are iconoclasts — or maybe more accurately, throwbacks.

How would you rate our athletes when they were leading OSU midway through 3rd quarter after losing our All American RB?

Hmmm. A question for you, sir:

Did you see the entire game, or only the end of the first half?
I think you know the answer. Do you have it anywhere within to ever address the actual question?

1. The Gophers are masters of the jab. They tenderized their opponents with the run and TOP game. They play a disciplined rope-a-dope defense. Before you know it, they KO the opponent.

2. They have the wherewithal to take an opponent out with runs, passes, or both in their RPO scheme. They are in no hurry to be sexy (borrowing the concept from JJ from Corn Nation after the Nebraska meltdown).

3. PJ Fleck lives rent-free inside the heads of Brohm, Frost, and others.

"Masters of the jab"... that's a great description. I like the word tenderized as well.

If I remember right when Fleck got here he actually wanted to go smaller and more agile on the O-line...replace the road graders Kill had brought in.

You realize MN is second in the Big Ten against the run? There has been nothing bend but don’t break about this defense. This team is good and showed the best against Ohio State than anyone outside of Oregon. Bowling Green was a complete vomit by the coaches.

Top Bottom