Let the music play - new Concert Reviews/Experiences

2 shows this weekend, felt like old times.

First one Friday, made a last minute decision to check out Soul Asylum at First Avenue, first time in the room in 2 yrs since I saw them in 2019. Probably the best SA show I have seen in the half dozen I have seen since Dan Murphy left the group. Pirner has collected a group of pretty good musicians.

Just seeing Veil of Tears made it totally worth going to in my opinion, first time I have seen that one probably this century. Another rarity was Get on Out, which along with other standards such as Black Gold, Closer to the Stars & Never Really Been made for a solid setlist. The room was probably about 2/3rds full, but Pirner was clearly appreciative of the fans that showed up.

Next up, Saturday the Jayhawks at the Palace in St Paul. I do really like that venue, might even prefer it to 1st Ave, though they could really step up their canned beer options. Speaking of Dan Murphy, his new music project the Scarlet Goodbye opened the gig. Great to see him performing. Also on the bill was Matt Wilson and his Orchestra, both acts were pretty good as warm ups.

As for the headliners they started with a bang opening with Waiting for the Sun and most of their standards from the 90s & 00s. Not much of the new stuff. They also included a cover of The Bands Christmas Must Be Tonight. Kraig Johnson came up for several songs from his era, plus Blue.

Also included was a tribute to Michael Nesmith, as the band played the song posted by BG, Different Drum. The show ended with a mini-Golden Smog reunion as Murphy joined for Until You Came Along.

Seeing these bands dozens of time throughout the years, I sort of took it for granted that there would be a next show on the near horizon. Much more appreciation for them having gone 2 years without seeing either of them.
I saw Matt Wilson's orchestra in Winona in Jan of 2020 (when I was there for my daughter's gymnastics meet at WSU). I thought they were utterly charming, and I was pleased with how much Trip Shakespeare material they played. I was on cloud nine. I visited with Matt afterward, several Hamms in, and I was in full fanboy mode, going on and on about his catalogue, especially Lulu. He gave me a big, bony hug (the guy is still so skinny!). That was pretty much it for me: I can die now anytime.

First one Friday, made a last minute decision to check out Soul Asylum at First Avenue, first time in the room in 2 yrs since I saw them in 2019. Probably the best SA show I have seen in the half dozen I have seen since Dan Murphy left the group. Pirner has collected a group of pretty good musicians.

Just seeing Veil of Tears made it totally worth going to in my opinion, first time I have seen that one probably this century. Another rarity was Get on Out, which along with other standards such as Black Gold, Closer to the Stars & Never Really Been made for a solid setlist. The room was probably about 2/3rds full, but Pirner was clearly appreciative of the fans that showed up.

Next up, Saturday the Jayhawks at the Palace in St Paul. I do really like that venue, might even prefer it to 1st Ave, though they could really step up their canned beer options. Speaking of Dan Murphy, his new music project the Scarlet Goodbye opened the gig. Great to see him performing. Also on the bill was Matt Wilson and his Orchestra, both acts were pretty good as warm ups.

As for the headliners they started with a bang opening with Waiting for the Sun and most of their standards from the 90s & 00s. Not much of the new stuff. They also included a cover of The Bands Christmas Must Be Tonight. Kraig Johnson came up for several songs from his era, plus Blue.

Also included was a tribute to Michael Nesmith, as the band played the song posted by BG, Different Drum. The show ended with a mini-Golden Smog reunion as Murphy joined for Until You Came Along.

Seeing these bands dozens of time throughout the years, I sort of took it for granted that there would be a next show on the near horizon. Much more appreciation for them having gone 2 years without seeing either of them.
Yeah, really like the Palace as well. I like that they didn't do a full on restoration, helps keep its character. Saw Gary Clark Jr there. Great show.

Whomever shot this I think was blocking my view when they recorded it. Anyway, beautifully done with Gary/Karen filling in for Linda, dedicated to Michael Nesmith.

Different Drum

It didn't hit me right away. Really no bad songs on the albums. Standouts in my opinion are: 'The Last Man on Earth', 'Lipstick on the Glass', 'Smile'.....and my personal favorite.....'How Can I Make it OK'.

I'd be surprised if they weren't nominated for any Grammys.
This is an incredible vocal performance.

Rage Against The Machine concert was delayed again. Was supposed to be this May....almost two years after the original date. No word on when it will be now.

Two friends and I road tripped up to Fargo the weekend before last to see The Dead South play two shows at the Sanctuary Events Center downtown. The Rainbow Girls opened both shows and were awesome.

I've resisted writing about the trip because I don't know where to start and end. We went up a day early because of the snowstorm moving in. It was a [heck] of a fun road trip. It was Ferris Bueller's Day off for three straight days, including on the trip up. It was a blur at times. We were close to death a couple of those mornings. It was kind of perfect.

I'd never attended consecutive nights of a multi-night stand before, but they sold it as a discount package, and both artists promised and delivered different set lists each night. I would do that again. Both acts dug a little deeper into their catalogue...because they could! Especially The Rainbow Girls, who've been together for 10 years and have a pretty big catalogue. All four sets both nights were the same: you didn't want them to end.

Oh, and two of us came down with COVID, even though the venue was vaxx only and we were both fully vaccinated and boostered. OMICRON!! Khaaaaannnnn! The one of us who didn't get it had been previously infected by Alhpa or Beta, so he might have had some natural immunity we did not. We knew we were taking a risk. Hopefully we end up no worse for wear in the end and don't end up regretting the adventure.

They played this one both nights:

Basilica Block Party a no-go in 2022.

"On hiatus," re-assessing the concept. Is there something about it that wasn't working, that they need to go back to the drawing board? I always thought of it as a great festival and a successful fundraiser.

"On hiatus," re-assessing the concept. Is there something about it that wasn't working, that they need to go back to the drawing board? I always thought of it as a great festival and a successful fundraiser.
My take from reading the article was that attendance was down 33% in 2021 and the outlook for this year wasn't much better. Add to that, could get a situation like last year when the Avett Brothers had to cancel at the last minute (members in the band had CoVid).

Just financially not a good risk.

Finally saw Los Lobos for the fist time, after all these years, at First Avenue last Friday. They were fantastic, of course. I was surprised that, near as I heard or recollect, they didn't play anything from the movie La Bamba, including the title song. A little surprising considering the recent anniversary of Valens' death.

Rage Against The Machine concert was delayed again. Was supposed to be this May....almost two years after the original date. No word on when it will be now.

hahaha.....rescheduled for March 2023. I bought these tickets in the fall of 2019.

hahaha.....rescheduled for March 2023. I bought these tickets in the fall of 2019.
Wow.

I am still sitting on Pearl Jam tickets in Nashville from April 2020, no make-up date announced yet, so I am thinking that will probably be 2023 as well. Hopefully.

Just got tickets for Spiritualized at the Ogden Theater in April. Looks like a cool venue.

Just got tickets for Spiritualized at the Ogden Theater in April. Looks like a cool venue.

Denver's got quite a few good ones. My friends and I saw Patrick Park at a place called the Hi-Dive last August.

Denver's got quite a few good ones. My friends and I saw Patrick Park at a place called the Hi-Dive last August.
Colfax Ave. (East) has at least four that are good imo. Ogden, Bluebird, Fillmore, and another I'm blanking on.

Son Volt at the Fine Line last night was quite delightful.

Great show. Farrar has put together a really tight band, best since he had the original line-up, in my opinion. Lots of songs from the new album which is great, but he did not play what I think is the best song Living in the USA.

From Trace they did, Route, Drown, Tear Stained Eye and Windfall. Others from the 90s were Chickamauga, Picking Up the Signal, Driving the View and Medicine Hat. I think it's been more than 15 years since I have seen that one performed by a full band.

Still not very chatty, but so be it. All business, but he did appear very appreciative of the folks that turned out given the crappy weather, Covid and world affairs.

I've had Crue/Def Leppard tix forever too, now it's rescheduled for when I'll be on vacation out of MN. too bad.

I hope there are tix available for RATM for people who didn't buy them the first time around, would like to see them again. Saw them in about 1999 on the Battle for LA tour, it was fun. A lot of petitions to sign to get wrongly incarcerated people out of jail and a lot of weed...pretty much what you'd expect at a RATM concert.

I've had Crue/Def Leppard tix forever too, now it's rescheduled for when I'll be on vacation out of MN. too bad.

I hope there are tix available for RATM for people who didn't buy them the first time around, would like to see them again. Saw them in about 1999 on the Battle for LA tour, it was fun. A lot of petitions to sign to get wrongly incarcerated people out of jail and a lot of weed...pretty much what you'd expect at a RATM concert.

Well....when they first went on sale a few years back....the standing room tickets sold out IMMEDIATELY and I had to settle for one of the sections. But because demand was so high....they added a second show the next night and I bought floor tickets for that one. Still a year out....but looking at ticketmaster....it's still slim pickings despite people being offered refunds each time the concert was delayed. I wouldn't wait to buy tickets if you want to go.

I just watched a Garbage concert that was filmed at the Ogden back in 2012, shown on AXS TV. Looks like a fantastic room, now over 100 years old. Capacity 1600, really cool.

Yes. Amazing.
Going to see Wolf Alice again April 8th in des moines Iowa. 3 1/2 hour drive. Some venue called Whoolys. I think it is the last show of their tour. It will be almost six months since I saw them in Denver and you in Mpls. I bet they can't wait to be done.

Going to see Wolf Alice again April 8th in des moines Iowa. 3 1/2 hour drive. Some venue called Whoolys. I think it is the last show of their tour. It will be almost six months since I saw them in Denver and you in Mpls. I bet they can't wait to be done.

Lucky. Except for the Iowa part. I think Ellie Rowsell has jumped to my number two favorite female artist. Only behind Louise Post.

Failure!!! Turf Club!!! July 2nd!!! Immediately jumps to my most anticipated concert (Manchester Orchestra, Tool, Mono, Royal Blood, Deftones, Foo Fighters)

Went to my first show in Mpls since the pandemic. Saw The Beths at the Fine Line. Surprised how packed it was. Those kids from New Zealand are lovable and put on a decent show.

June 11th at The Ledge Amphitheater in Waite Park: Turnpike Troubadors; opening acts Steve Earle and the Old 97's. General admission. Gonna be a GREAT show. Get your tix, Gopherholers.

Edit: sold out

Last edited:

June 11th at The Ledge Amphitheater in Waite Park: Turnpike Troubadors; opening acts Steve Earle and the Old 97's. General admission. Gonna be a GREAT show. Get your tix, Gopherholers.

Edit: sold out
You sure about Steve Earle? His website has him Rhode Island that night.

The Ledge Amphitheater is a cool venue. Something that we were kind of missing here in MN. Got to see 311 play one of the opening shows there this past fall.

Anyways....got Manchester Orchestra at First Avenue on Tuesday. Tool at the Target Center next Sunday.

Top Bottom