Let the music play - new Concert Reviews/Experiences

Looks like too much fun if it the Tweet was taken down. Ringo and Paul playing together would have been a blast.
Huh. It said Foo Fighters would be at Huntington Bank Stadium next August.

0F2D8316-6787-4A3D-82EB-6AFE52589A40.png

Foo Fighters coming to Huntington bank Stadium August 3. I'll be there.

Just got home from the Jason Isbell show at the Armory. Fantastic! Amanda Shires was not playing so it felt very different from the other shows I had seen. Ended the night with an extended version of Never Gonna Change with a massive, lengthy dueling lead guitars.

Also, this was the first show I've seen at The Armory. Very, very impressed.

Just got home from the Jason Isbell show at the Armory. Fantastic! Amanda Shires was not playing so it felt very different from the other shows I had seen. Ended the night with an extended version of Never Gonna Change with a massive, lengthy dueling lead guitars.

I've been to the Armory once for The Head and the Heart. Fantastic venue.

Yeah, the Armory is really cool. Love how they leaned into the mid-century mod feel. This is hanging in my living room.

s-l300.jpg

I had tix for the original scheduled 2020 date, but already had a trip planned for the makeup gig. Bummed I couldn't attend.

I had tix for the original scheduled 2020 date, but already had a trip planned for the makeup gig. Bummed I couldn't attend.
I sort figured you would be there. :)

Saw String Cheese Incident twice over the holiday weekend at The Mission Ballroom in Denver. Amazing talent in that group. Outstanding venue. Excellent crowd. They have ~12 rows of raked seating around the perimeter and a wide open GA main floor. We walked right up to 3rd row, center and stayed there both shows without so much as one single bit of effort to hold our spots. None of the usual posting up required at venues like First Ave. Zero beer lines, although the prices were sky high (related?). Easy to return to our spot.

@GopherVotary, if you haven’t yet, find a show and get there. Sort of out in the middle of nowhere, but worth the trip.

5B5BD9A2-B0BD-494A-ACD1-96DE50B0474B.jpeg
2786A9DB-AB96-43EB-9D6B-A123F3F4E6F9.jpeg

Saw String Cheese Incident twice over the holiday weekend at The Mission Ballroom in Denver. Amazing talent in that group. Outstanding venue. Excellent crowd. They have ~12 rows of raked seating around the perimeter and a wide open GA main floor. We walked right up to 3rd row, center and stayed there both shows without so much as one single bit of effort to hold our spots. None of the usual posting up required at venues like First Ave. Zero beer lines, although the prices were sky high (related?). Easy to return to our spot.

@GopherVotary, if you haven’t yet, find a show and get there. Sort of out in the middle of nowhere, but worth the trip.

View attachment 15762
View attachment 15763
Thanks for the tip!

That seems odd that they wouldn't accommodate a band wanting tighter restrictions. Maybe there is something else, like they couldn't staff it appropriately to enforce.
No green M & Ms

This is a cool picture of Elvis Costello at his first ever First Ave show earlier this week. I didn't go, but it would have been cool to see him there.

264827883_458158985665373_1978070127035745933_n.jpg

This is a cool picture of Elvis Costello at his first ever First Ave show earlier this week. I didn't go, but it would have been cool to see him there.

264827883_458158985665373_1978070127035745933_n.jpg
Are you sure that was his first-ever? I swear I was walking by one night years ago...a back/side door was propped open and I tried to sneak in. I wasn't successful, but the dude who caught me said nice try. I thought it was for Elvis Costello.

Are you sure that was his first-ever? I swear I was walking by one night years ago...a back/side door was propped open and I tried to sneak in. I wasn't successful, but the dude who caught me said nice try. I thought it was for Elvis Costello.
That's how it was billed. Seems odd though. Maybe you tried to sneak into Iggy Pop? Or Burt Bacharach?

That's how it was billed. Seems odd though. Maybe you tried to sneak into Iggy Pop? Or Burt Bacharach?
I saw Iggy when he was here. I would for sure try to sneak in to see Burt Bacharach.

Bummer that the Foo Fighters aren't going to be at The Bank. Instead playing U.S. Bank Stadium. Since I haven't seen them since the Sonic Highways tour seven years ago, I bought tickets. Adding to a busy 2022 concert season so far.

March 8th - Manchester Orchestra
March 13th - Tool
April 1st - MONO
April 22nd - Royal Blood
May 16th - Rage Against the Machine
May 28th - Deftones
August 3rd - Foo Fighters

Speaking of photos taken outside First Ave, this is one of my all time favorite photos and screams Minneapolis. Nothing related to the OP; I just like the photo.

1273072_10151824685284651_319767824_o.jpg

Speaking of photos taken outside First Ave, this is one of my all time favorite photos and screams Minneapolis. Nothing related to the OP; I just like the photo.

1273072_10151824685284651_319767824_o.jpg
I think if this pic was now the two guys should change places as one of the careers is dead.

If I had posted about the Monkees show my wife and I attended in Milwaukee, I would have commented on how obviously weak Mike was. He took frequent breaks offstage and moved very slowly and gingerly. He was obviously struggling with the demands of the shows and the tour but was pressing on with everything he had. A true pro in every sense of the word.

Rest in peace, Michael. I will always love your music and your performances on the show.

If I had posted about the Monkees show my wife and I attended in Milwaukee, I would have commented on how obviously weak Mike was. He took frequent breaks offstage and moved very slowly and gingerly. He was obviously struggling with the demands of the shows and the tour but was pressing on with everything he had. A true pro in every sense of the word.

Rest in peace, Michael. I will always love your music and your performances on the show.
Wow, sorry to hear the news about Michael Nesmith. Just wrapped up the tour on Nov 14.

Wow, sorry to hear the news about Michael Nesmith. Just wrapped up the tour on Nov 14.
Shows you what I know: until this last Monkees tour, I had no idea Mike wrote this beautiful song.

Their last show, at the Greek Theatre:

Only one remains, the ageless Micky Dolenz.

2 shows this weekend, felt like old times.

First one Friday, made a last minute decision to check out Soul Asylum at First Avenue, first time in the room in 2 yrs since I saw them in 2019. Probably the best SA show I have seen in the half dozen I have seen since Dan Murphy left the group. Pirner has collected a group of pretty good musicians.

Just seeing Veil of Tears made it totally worth going to in my opinion, first time I have seen that one probably this century. Another rarity was Get on Out, which along with other standards such as Black Gold, Closer to the Stars & Never Really Been made for a solid setlist. The room was probably about 2/3rds full, but Pirner was clearly appreciative of the fans that showed up.

Next up, Saturday the Jayhawks at the Palace in St Paul. I do really like that venue, might even prefer it to 1st Ave, though they could really step up their canned beer options. Speaking of Dan Murphy, his new music project the Scarlet Goodbye opened the gig. Great to see him performing. Also on the bill was Matt Wilson and his Orchestra, both acts were pretty good as warm ups.

As for the headliners they started with a bang opening with Waiting for the Sun and most of their standards from the 90s & 00s. Not much of the new stuff. They also included a cover of The Bands Christmas Must Be Tonight. Kraig Johnson came up for several songs from his era, plus Blue.

Also included was a tribute to Michael Nesmith, as the band played the song posted by BG, Different Drum. The show ended with a mini-Golden Smog reunion as Murphy joined for Until You Came Along.

Seeing these bands dozens of time throughout the years, I sort of took it for granted that there would be a next show on the near horizon. Much more appreciation for them having gone 2 years without seeing either of them.

Last edited:

Top Bottom