Let the music play - new Concert Reviews/Experiences

Just saw that Rival Sons are playing the Fillmore next Friday. Very much in. An underrated band that has a great classic rock vibe.

Anyone see the Stones at US Bank? I read a review in the Strib, but they didn't say anything about the sound quality, which has been very iffy for previous shows at that venue.

I did catch an Instagram post of one song, but it's hard to judge sound quality from that.

Saw Dead and Company at Fiddlers Green (Denver) last week. Soooo awesome. I can't believe how good John Mayer was as Jerry. Fiddlers Green is a great venue.

Colony House killed it crowd super into it, same venue as their show from last March on the day stuff started shutting down.

The Fillmore is a cool venue. Rival Sons kicked ass, as I expected.

Will be visiting the Fine Line this upcoming Saturday for Wolf Alice. Outside of the Rage concert next May....this is my most anticipated concert. And I have tickets for Chvrches the next week, Manchester Orchestra, Tool, Mono, and the Deftones.

Will be visiting the Fine Line this upcoming Saturday for Wolf Alice. Outside of the Rage concert next May....this is my most anticipated concert. And I have tickets for Chvrches the next week, Manchester Orchestra, Tool, Mono, and the Deftones.
Seeing Wolf Alice at the Bluebird in Denver right before that.

Seeing Wolf Alice at the Bluebird in Denver right before that.

Nice! They're awesome. Took me a couple of listens through.....but their new album (Blue Weekend) is really great.

Still haven't given it a full listen.

It didn't hit me right away. Really no bad songs on the albums. Standouts in my opinion are: 'The Last Man on Earth', 'Lipstick on the Glass', 'Smile'.....and my personal favorite.....'How Can I Make it OK'.

I'd be surprised if they weren't nominated for any Grammys.

It didn't hit me right away. Really no bad songs on the albums. Standouts in my opinion are: 'The Last Man on Earth', 'Lipstick on the Glass', 'Smile'.....and my personal favorite.....'How Can I Make it OK'.

I'd be surprised if they weren't nominated for any Grammys.
Im surprised they are playing such small venues.

I saw Richard Thompson at the Fitzgerald Theater last night. First indoor theater show for me in just under 2 years.

He looks and sounds great. Played a few new songs he wrote during the pandemic, and also read several passages from his recently completed memoir that he tied to some of the older ones. Good stories on the inspiration from Turning of the Tide, a Buck Owens encounter at a Detroit airport, and walking 10 miles back home from a Who show in 1965.

He brought a female vocalist on stage about midway through the set (starting with Walking on a Wire, really helped especially on the songs that originally had Linda. Didn't catch her name.

'52 Vincent Black Lightning sounds as good as ever as did Beeswing, Wall of Death, Keep Your Distance & I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight.

How was the show?

Great. First time at the Fine Line too. I'm surprised they weren't playing a larger venue.

A lot of bands that have played larger venues in the recent past have downsized due to all the uncertainty in being able to attract audiences (proof of vax or negativity, masks etc).

How was mask adherence at the Fine Line? I am going there on Monday for the Lemonheads. Last night at the Fitz, I would guess it was 60% masked.

A lot of bands that have played larger venues in the recent past have downsized due to all the uncertainty in being able to attract audiences (proof of vax or negativity, masks etc).

How was mask adherence at the Fine Line? I am going there on Monday for the Lemonheads. Last night at the Fitz, I would guess it was 60% masked.

There's no mask mandate. But bring your vaccination card if you have it. They do require proof of vaccination or a couple negative tests in the week prior.

Lemonheads at the Fine Line, I thought it was solid. Probably about in the middle among the dozen or so times I have seen Dando either with the group or solo. I suppose I give it a higher rating just because it's great to see anyone live in a club after the past couple of years.

Fine Line itself is still a good place to see a show, though man it was chilly in there especially during the warm up bands. No slight on headliner, but probably my favorite part of the night was when the 2nd group, call themselves Heyrocco, went through a blistering 'Mats cover of Answering Machine.

As for the Lemonheads, I know It's About Time & Hospital were played early. Probably best part of the show was towards the end of the main set It's a Shame About Ray, Rudderless & If I Could Talk I'd Tell You.

I saw Confetti was on the written down setlist, but I think that was cut. I don't remember that being played, so if anyone else can recall I would appreciate it.

After the main set, Dando went acoustic for Outdoor Type which was a nice crowd singalong, and then Hard Drive. He kept it together up to the point but must have been frustrated with the guitar, feedback or whatever. Went acapella for a verse, then finished it off by picking the guitar back up and going without the mic. I didn't mind because I was in the front, felt like a campfire. Most frustrating for me was that he then teased the opening lines of Frying Pan but then bolted abruptly.

The band did come out for a proper closing one of my favorites, Hannah & Gabi. I was satisfied.

Lemonheads at the Fine Line, I thought it was solid. Probably about in the middle among the dozen or so times I have seen Dando either with the group or solo. I suppose I give it a higher rating just because it's great to see anyone live in a club after the past couple of years.

Fine Line itself is still a good place to see a show, though man it was chilly in there especially during the warm up bands. No slight on headliner, but probably my favorite part of the night was when the 2nd group, call themselves Heyrocco, went through a blistering 'Mats cover of Answering Machine.

As for the Lemonheads, I know It's About Time & Hospital were played early. Probably best part of the show was towards the end of the main set It's a Shame About Ray, Rudderless & If I Could Talk I'd Tell You.

I saw Confetti was on the written down setlist, but I think that was cut. I don't remember that being played, so if anyone else can recall I would appreciate it.

After the main set, Dando went acoustic for Outdoor Type which was a nice crowd singalong, and then Hard Drive. He kept it together up to the point but must have been frustrated with the guitar, feedback or whatever. Went acapella for a verse, then finished it off by picking the guitar back up and going without the mic. I didn't mind because I was in the front, felt like a campfire. Most frustrating for me was that he then teased the opening lines of Frying Pan but then bolted abruptly.

The band did come out for a proper closing one of my favorites, Hannah & Gabi. I was satisfied.
I wrote some stuff over in the 90s thread on this show. In short, I thought it was sort of satisfying and sort of not. Great songs that are still in my head today, so that's a good measure, but I do feel it was a half-hearted and overall unsatisfying performance. But like Ope says, it was way better than nothing, and I hadn't seen them play in upwards of 20 years. I certainly don't regret going.

The set list was pretty great. I could stand to have heard I'll Do It Anyway and Being Around, but that's being too picky. It was a crowd-pleasing bunch of songs.

I wrote some stuff over in the 90s thread on this show. In short, I thought it was sort of satisfying and sort of not. Great songs that are still in my head today, so that's a good measure, but I do feel it was a half-hearted and overall unsatisfying performance. But like Ope says, it was way better than nothing, and I hadn't seen them play in upwards of 20 years. I certainly don't regret going.

The set list was pretty great. I could stand to have heard I'll Do It Anyway and Being Around, but that's being too picky. It was a crowd-pleasing bunch of songs.
It was a "greatest hits/crowd faves" setlist which I am fine with, but the shows I have seen in the past when he was really into it was while promoting new stuff, his solo record in '03 and then the reformed Lemonheads self titled effort in '06.

Sadly, other than a couple of cover albums that's all he has released going on 25 years. Hopefully he puts some truly new stuff out in the near future to give a spark to live gigs and break out of performing strictly for nostalgia (as well as presumably a paycheck).

It was a "greatest hits/crowd faves" setlist which I am fine with, but the shows I have seen in the past when he was really into it was while promoting new stuff, his solo record in '03 and then the reformed Lemonheads self titled effort in '06.

Sadly, other than a couple of cover albums that's all he has released going on 25 years. Hopefully he puts some truly new stuff out in the near future to give a spark to live gigs and break out of performing strictly for nostalgia (as well as presumably a paycheck).
I saw that 06 show and thought he pretty much mailed it in vocally. I just wish he cared more. I still wished I went last night though..

My bad for not mentioning the John Prine cover Speed of the Sound of Loneliness which is also on Varshons 2 and was played last night.

Here's a taste.

Re: the bolded. I'm always reminded of John Entwistle being asked many many years ago why The Who was going out on tour. His reply: "Once again, the money is gone."

Re: the bolded. I'm always reminded of John Entwistle being asked many many years ago why The Who was going out on tour. His reply: "Once again, the money is gone."
With respect to Evan, I don't think he has to do it for the paycheck. His father was a highly successful lawyer who recently passed away, sadly. I think he was smart enough to set it up that Evan can't blow it away, just from stories I have heard.

Anyway, here is the obit for Evan's old man. Sounds like a really cool dude who had a life well lived.

Last edited:

With respect to Evan, I don't think he has to do it for the paycheck. His father was a highly successful lawyer who recently passed away, sadly. I think he was smart enough to set it up that Evan can't blow away, just from stories I have heard.

Anyway, here is the obit for Evan's old man. Sounds like a really cool dude who had a life well lived.

Thank you, man. I had no idea.

My bad for not mentioning the John Prine cover Speed of the Sound of Loneliness which is also on Varshons 2 and was played last night.

Here's a taste.

Dang, nice. That's what bummed me out about the sound mix or whatever it was obscuring his vocals: he has a wonderfully expressive voice. When he unplugged for those last few lines last night, I was like, this is what I came to hear.

Dang, nice. That's what bummed me out about the sound mix or whatever it was obscuring his vocals: he has a wonderfully expressive voice. When he unplugged for those last few lines last night, I was like, this is what I came to hear.
I am sure what also enhanced the experience was stumbling on the perfect amount of beer intake. A couple of Fulton Lonely Blondes & Surly First Aves each put me in the perfect state of mind. Note to self.

Saw Jim Gaffigan in Rochester last week. He did two huge sold-out shows (by Rochester standards). Really funny. Except he went hard after marching bands, which seemed unprovoked.

There was a medical episode during Jim's set. I think the guy walked out, so hopefully nothing serious. Jim handled it well; house lights came on and he left the stage while medical staff attended to the guy. No one's quite sure how to act after something like that -- like is it ok to laugh. Jim restarted with some self-deprecating material, which was probably smart. Anyway...I've never been at a show where something like that happened (at least that I was aware of). Rochester is probably the best place in the world for something like that to happen. When someone yelled, "Is there a doctor in the house" half the crowd stood up.

Top Bottom