Leron Black Decommit

page0066

Reaction score
I saw today that Leron Black decommited from Baylor a couple of weeks ago. Anyone have any idea if we are interested, or if we have a shot? I think that I remember some mutual interest initially, but it waned pretty quickly. I could be wrong. He is a top 20 recruit for 2014, and he played with Andre Hollins in high school. Jones, Vaughn, Travis, and Black for 2014 would be a dream come true.

Gophers were involved with Leron Black last summer.

Lots of suitors this time around for him, though.

Will be hard to get him away from some of the big teams after him, but maybe a deep tourney run along with early commitments from Rashad and possibly others (hopefully Tyus) could sway him.

Get Andre (and maybe even Austin) on the phone with him. Come to Minnesota where Tubby will let you score 41 vs Memphis and sink 5 straight 3's vs Northwestern! IE you'll have plenty of freedom here!

Get Andre (and maybe even Austin) on the phone with him. Come to Minnesota where Tubby will let you score 41 vs Memphis and sink 5 straight 3's vs Northwestern! IE you'll have plenty of freedom here!

I have to question whether or not this is allowed by NCAA. I don't know. Does anyone?

I have to question whether or not this is allowed by NCAA. I don't know. Does anyone?

I can't imagine that the NCAA has anything the prohibits athletes from contacting recruits. We know Rodney and Rashad Vaughn have a relationship. These guys have many friends that are still in HS so I doubt there are any rules against it.

I can't imagine that the NCAA has anything the prohibits athletes from contacting recruits. We know Rodney and Rashad Vaughn have a relationship. These guys have many friends that are still in HS so I doubt there are any rules against it.

So you agree with me, you don't know either. Right?

So you agree with me, you don't know either. Right?

You're right, I don't know for sure. I was just stating that I highly doubt that such a rule exists. I never stated it as fact so I don't know why you are giving me so much attitude.

As a former compliance intern at NIU, I can tell you there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in the NCAA Bylaws that prohibits athletes from communicating with each other. That would be ridiculous, even by NCAA standards.

You're right, I don't know for sure. I was just stating that I highly doubt that such a rule exists. I never stated it as fact so I don't know why you are giving me so much attitude.

I seem to vaguely remember once reading something that contact between players and prospective recruits is ok as long as they had a pre-existing relationship - relatives, friends, schoolmates, played against each other in high school, etc. Otherwise, it's a no-no. Again, this is just a vague recollection I have - not sure whether it has any basis in fact.

I would imagine that if there were such a rule, members of the team would not be allowed to be the recruits host when making an official visit.

As a former compliance intern at NIU, I can tell you there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in the NCAA Bylaws that prohibits athletes from communicating with each other. That would be ridiculous, even by NCAA standards.

When you say "athletes", do you mean if both are current NCAA players? I would think having current players actively recruiting for you would tend to flout the entire system of x number of visits, x number of hours spent recruiting, only certain personnel can recruit, etc., etc.

When you say "athletes", do you mean if both are current NCAA players? I would think having current players actively recruiting for you would tend to flout the entire system of x number of visits, x number of hours spent recruiting, only certain personnel can recruit, etc., etc.

There is no rule that prohibits contact between current players and prospective players. If you are on twitter, you may notice that it is common for all of the players to follow and be followed by recruits that have recently taken an official or unofficial visit. They keep in touch, many times even if they don't eventually end up committing to that school.

The closest thing to a rule against player/prospect contact is that you can't have former players (think Michael Jordan for UNC) actively recruiting players for the school (unless they are on the staff, obviously). Although you are allowed to have alumni scrimmage the players in practice as long as it isn't advertised to the players ahead of time and only happens on an occasional basis.

There is no rule that prohibits contact between current players and prospective players. If you are on twitter, you may notice that it is common for all of the players to follow and be followed by recruits that have recently taken an official or unofficial visit. They keep in touch, many times even if they don't eventually end up committing to that school.

The closest thing to a rule against player/prospect contact is that you can't have former players (think Michael Jordan for UNC) actively recruiting players for the school (unless they are on the staff, obviously). Although you are allowed to have alumni scrimmage the players in practice as long as it isn't advertised to the players ahead of time and only happens on an occasional basis.

I think your second paragraph is exactly what I was thinking of - just amend my post above to former players instead of current players. Thanks.

I'm guessing Dr. Don is grumpy because he ran out of beer.

No, it is none of the afformentioned accusations. It is just that I don't know, so I brought the question to the board. So I bring it up and I still catch hell. For God's sake people, lighten up on the old Doc. I never stated anything as fact, except the fact that I don't know. At least I have the balls to admit that, unlike some here.

My brother gots calls from a lot of Football players from schools that were recruiting him for football, most of the time he got calls from the players before the coach even has contacted him. He would get calls from the starting QBs and other big time players of the teams. It was obvious the coaches put them up to it, since they have never met my brother before. Most of the players called were upper classman and it felt like it was part of their duty to call recruits as leaders of the team.

No, it is none of the afformentioned accusations. It is just that I don't know, so I brought the question to the board. So I bring it up and I still catch hell. For God's sake people, lighten up on the old Doc. I never stated anything as fact, except the fact that I don't know. At least I have the balls to admit that, unlike some here.

Just to be clear:
- Post #6 in this thread: Not dickish
- Post #8 in this thread: Dickish

We were one of Vaughn's first offers. It's certainly good that we were talking to him a lot over the summer.

Top Bottom