Length of Contract for New HC

goldengophers

Reaction score
We all know the big names out there right now: Harbaugh, Chris Petersen, Gary Patterson. My question is, can we help to enticing these coaches by offering a longer contract (7-10 years) with a large buyout? Or what are our options for building in performance based escalators, where by if they improve yearly their contracts increase exponentially with success?

Maturi said we could do 5-7 years. If forced could we do longer? Possibly but nobody on this board is going to have that answer.

Bruininks sounded very in favor of writing incentives in to the contract for money. With more proven coaches it would probably be less incentive based and instead would include more guaranteed money (higher base).

I'm not sure why a coach would want incentive based options for extension. If they are successful here their next contract isn't going to be an issue here or elsewhere. If I were in that position I'd rather assume the market for good coaches will continue to increase and rather than locking in a price for my services I'd let the market walk it up when I renew.

"Length of Contract for New HC"

He gets $100,000 for each win. He pays back $10,000 for each loss.

Options

The higher the base pay, the lower the later increases, therefore no incentives. We don't want one of the elite 5 or 10 top paid coaches. No incentive for them.

We want the 11-25 best coaches to apply. They have something to prove. They are in our initial pay range. Incentives do matter to these guys. And, our pay will improve with their performance. We need the hungry coaches who know they can coach a national championship calibre team to victory. They need to know they can recruit and build and become the best coach ever here. We need a fire breather, greedy, up and comer. Getting the established elite gives them zero incentive to succeed. For them, there desire for success is either inwardly driven or we will be out a lot of money for zero performance. I am not so certain that bringing in only the most elite will get it done here. I think we need to find the best up and comer.

I'd give the coach a game by game contract. After each game the U would decide if we want to sign the coach to a new contract. It's never been done before but this is the direction college football is heading!

Top Bottom