Leidner: I don’t know who would want to be part of this program at this time.

If you think you'll fire him next year, much better move for stability to do it now.

I just think you have to let it ride out.

First two seasons:
Tracy Claeys (Minn.)- 11-8 (.578)
Kirk Ferentz (Iowa) - 4-19 (.174)
Barry Alvarez (Wis.) - 6-16 (.273)
Chris Peterson (Wash.) - 15-12 (.555)
P.J. Fleck (WMU) - 9-16 (.360)

So I guess we'll just hire Fleck and fire him after he fails to have a .500 winning percentage immediately.

Mitch has a great legacy....got his coach fired for his stupid boycott and goes to twitter to denounce the firing instead of apologizing to fans for his significant role in it. This generation feels entitled to everything, but I have to say, I have yet to see anyone on this football team take responsibility for any of their actions....do any of them even know how to say "I'm sorry, I screwed up?"

He should have included any QB who can complete a forward pass when it really counts. The idea that anyone was responsible for anything was MIA in this whole mess starting with administration. The communication top to bottom was horrible and left many people the opportunity to fill in the blanks without all the information. The second player press conference at least made an attempt to address the seriousness of sexual assault but it was too late. Bye, bye Mitch.

Mitch has been a joke on and off the field.....It will be nice to watch a competent QB again at the U one of these days.

I've watched this team for somewhat closely for about 15 years and casually for 15 before that and we've never had a "good" QB. We've had a bunch who were passable and worked ok within the systems they had, but were all flawed in some way. We just don't get that here.

I just think you have to let it ride out.

First two seasons:
Tracy Claeys (Minn.)- 11-8 (.578)
Kirk Ferentz (Iowa) - 4-19 (.174)
Barry Alvarez (Wis.) - 6-16 (.273)
Chris Peterson (Wash.) - 15-12 (.555)
P.J. Fleck (WMU) - 9-16 (.360)
True. But you also have to think about trends. I personally never thought of Claeys on his own. To me he was a continuation of Kill. He represented a plateau that would keep us perennially at 6-8 regular season wins. I have said many times on this board, if that is what he program strives for we should get him a lifetime contract.

I might be wrong. TC might be a championship level head coach someday.

Maybe, but I have been saying all year I thought he should be gone.
After the Purdue win I didn't think there was any chance he would be. I was wrong.

Guy is 6-8 in big ten play.
0-1 Michigan
0-2 Iowa
0-1 Ohio state
2-0 Illinois
0-2 Wisconsin
0-1 Nebraska
1-0 Purdue
0-1 penn state
1-0 Rutgers
1-0 Maryland
1-0 northwestern

6-0 against
Illinois, Rutgers, Maryland, Purdue, northwestern

0-8 against
Penn state
Ohio state
Iowa
Wisconsin
Nebraska

Beat 8-5 Wazzu though so maybe he is a winner and I am wrong

Ok I will play. Let's not forget that the beat who they were supposed to beat and even upset a few with Northwestern and Wazzu. That hasn't happened in God knows how long with any kind of consistency. Plus they were a play away from beating PSU. I'd say that's pretty damn good for a first year coach. Oh ok we don't want to say he's a first year coach? You want to put him with Kill? Ok we can do that too because last I checked a few years ago they beat Meatchicken, beat Iowa and beat Nebby while they were ranked...all in the same year I believe. Don't pull this crap that they couldn't beat anyone. You all that have this view must have a short term memory, because I've been all in since Joe Salem and remember nothing but never knowing who they were going to beat week to week because they were not good enough to beat bad teams consistently, and that goes for Mason as well.

If you want Claeys gone because of the scandal that's fine, I can understand that. If you want him gone because you think they can go higher that's fine. (I disagree because I see nothing but the Mason situation all over again and here comes a regression again) Good coaches are going to have up and down years and it takes time and upward trending to get there. Unfortunately that won't happen. But don't say that he couldn't beat anyone because that's not true.

Maybe, but I have been saying all year I thought he should be gone.
After the Purdue win I didn't think there was any chance he would be. I was wrong.

Guy is 6-8 in big ten play.
0-1 Michigan
0-2 Iowa
0-1 Ohio state
2-0 Illinois
0-2 Wisconsin
0-1 Nebraska
1-0 Purdue
0-1 penn state
1-0 Rutgers
1-0 Maryland
1-0 northwestern

6-0 against
Illinois, Rutgers, Maryland, Purdue, northwestern

0-8 against
Penn state
Ohio state
Iowa
Wisconsin
Nebraska

Beat 8-5 Wazzu though so maybe he is a winner and I am wrong

+100 Everyone keeps singing the praises of 9 wins. No one bothers to talk about the fact that under Claeys and Kill, we generally haven't won games that matter--especially that matter to a gopher fan.

But don't say that he couldn't beat anyone because that's not true.
I think we have different definitions of "beat someone"

I was more talking about winning a big game that puts them over the hump. They certainly can beat teams. In fact I have said I thought TC could win 6-8 regular season games in perpetuity.

Mitch you watched your coach get in to deep !@# with social media and yet you are above that? You and your entitled teammates took down a nice coaching staff but you can't take any blame can you. Joke. Life is hard Mitch, get ready for that first job interview with one of us.

+100 Everyone keeps singing the praises of 9 wins. No one bothers to talk about the fact that under Claeys and Kill, we generally haven't won games that matter--especially that matter to a gopher fan.

Listen, I'm not saying Kill/Claeys was bringing a NC to Dinkytown, but the program had finally reached a place of respectability in the conference. Their teams did beat Iowa twice, Nebraska twice, and Michigan once. Couldn't get over the Wisconsin hump, which was very disappointing. Claeys had only a single season to show what he could do. Didn't get that "signature win," but was competitive. And he made needed changes on the offensive staff -- so he wasn't blind to the need for progress. I was convinced a very solid foundation was in place here, and that we were headed on an upward trajectory. Rome wasn't built in a day. I saw progress in terms of athletes on the field (and in the NFL) and competitive games against top 10 teams.

You can't fire your way to championships, all the while praying you can attract a better coach them you currently have. Programs that "get it" keep coaching staffs -- and therefore styles of play and recruiting contacts -- intact over time, despite bumps in the road. Did Wisconsin rush to fire Alvarez everytime they won less than 10 games after his Rose Bowl season? Of course not. They stuck with him and he brought more Rose Bowls -- as did his hand-picked succesor. Did Iowa fire Ferentz after disappointing seasons and embarrassing losses? I mean, he lost to two of the worst Minnesota teams in our lifetime. No, Iowa has wisely stuck with him and he rewards them every few years with magical runs like last year's near playoff season.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on this and that should be respected. Personally, I was willing to give Claeys 2 more years to see how it played out. If Mark Coyle is confident things were headed downhill, I guess he needed to make a move -- that's his job after all.

Leidner is absolutely right. Look at all the little boys cracking clumsy jokes at him on his way out the door.

The players boycott was not well thought out and they should have been more sensitive in their initial statement, but they tried to stand up to a system that they thought was not fair and at odds with the principles of Due Process. They picked the wrong place to do that.

Mitch, you and your merry men pushed your coach under the bus with the boycott.

Not when they have very few candidates to look at now and signing day is a month away.
I disagree with the assessment there are fewer candidates now. Maybe total, but not fewer when you're talking about actual realistic targets.

Leidner can go **** himself for saying this. They just talked about this quote in the 5pm Sportscenter. He was lucky to be a part of this program with his talent level, partakes in a boycott that gets his coach fired, throws 4 picks in the second half against our biggest rival as a Senior, then has the balls to say this cr@p? Time for Mitch to just go away.

He doesn't care what you think, he's going to the NFL and maybe a first rounder to boot.

I disagree with the assessment there are fewer candidates now. Maybe total, but not fewer when you're talking about actual realistic targets.

So you think there has been no realistic targets that have already been hired at other schools?

So you think there has been no realistic targets that have already been hired at other schools?

No. I think there are some realistic hires made by other schools. I also think there are some available now that wouldn't have listened in December. Probably a pretty even split imo. We are both just guessing though.

I'm guess Coyle is smart enough not to make this move if he doesn't have some guys in mind who he knows will at least discuss it.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!
Like him or not (and we all have our issues with him), this shows you the pathetic state of the program. This is a quote from a kid who you can't deny poured his heart and soul into this program for 5 long years. He has seen 3 head coaches and who knows how many issues??? The whole time he stood in there and towed the company/university line until it was too much for reason. I take a lot from this quote. Very disheartening!

Like him or not (and we all have our issues with him), this shows you the pathetic state of the program. This is a quote from a kid who you can't deny poured his heart and soul into this program for 5 long years. He has seen 3 head coaches and who knows how many issues??? The whole time he stood in there and towed the company/university line until it was too much for reason. I take a lot from this quote. Very disheartening!
He only saw two head coaches. It does show he pathetic state of the program though. The program that TC was in charge of until 5 hours ago.

I also think there are some available now that wouldn't have listened in December.

Why would someone not be interested in December but would now? I don't think the job has become more desirable in the past month.

He only saw two head coaches. It does show he pathetic state of the program though. The program that TC was in charge of until 5 hours ago.

I was more referring to being recruited to 2 being recruited years by the hot chili guy but should have been more specific. Good catch though.....
This is a pretty awful feeling tonight and I'm not a huge Claeys as a HC guy

Why would someone not be interested in December but would now? I don't think the job has become more desirable in the past month.

Firing a guy after an 8 win season is very different than firing someone after a scandal that cost the team 10 players. Scares less people off. I could be wrong.

Also some people on the market that were employed a month ago...coordinators, fired coaches, NFL people, etc

Mitch has a great legacy....got his coach fired for his stupid boycott and goes to twitter to denounce the firing instead of apologizing to fans for his significant role in it. This generation feels entitled to everything, but I have to say, I have yet to see anyone on this football team take responsibility for any of their actions....do any of them even know how to say "I'm sorry, I screwed up?"

Great post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No coach is lined up and when is national signing day?

It will be interesting to see how many of our verbal commits flip in the next week.

I don't think the timing could be worse.
Yep. Coyle said he's got nobody, but the problem is all Claeys and he (Coyle) is the untarnished messiah who has saved us from a wretched coach.
Coyle just endeared himself to no coach worth their salt. I expect he hires a snake in the grass just like himself.

Listen, I'm not saying Kill/Claeys was bringing a NC to Dinkytown, but the program had finally reached a place of respectability in the conference. Their teams did beat Iowa twice, Nebraska twice, and Michigan once. Couldn't get over the Wisconsin hump, which was very disappointing. Claeys had only a single season to show what he could do. Didn't get that "signature win," but was competitive. And he made needed changes on the offensive staff -- so he wasn't blind to the need for progress. I was convinced a very solid foundation was in place here, and that we were headed on an upward trajectory. Rome wasn't built in a day. I saw progress in terms of athletes on the field (and in the NFL) and competitive games against top 10 teams.

You can't fire your way to championships, all the while praying you can attract a better coach them you currently have. Programs that "get it" keep coaching staffs -- and therefore styles of play and recruiting contacts -- intact over time, despite bumps in the road. Did Wisconsin rush to fire Alvarez everytime they won less than 10 games after his Rose Bowl season? Of course not. They stuck with him and he brought more Rose Bowls -- as did his hand-picked succesor. Did Iowa fire Ferentz after disappointing seasons and embarrassing losses? I mean, he lost to two of the worst Minnesota teams in our lifetime. No, Iowa has wisely stuck with him and he rewards them every few years with magical runs like last year's near playoff season.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on this and that should be respected. Personally, I was willing to give Claeys 2 more years to see how it played out. If Mark Coyle is confident things were headed downhill, I guess he needed to make a move -- that's his job after all.

Good post. Fair points all around. By the way, I would love to have the problem of sub-10-win seasons after a Rosebowl appearance.

I was never actually a huge Jerry Kill fan. But I liked Claeys. I think he was an improvement over Kill and I honestly believed he would keep some of the good things that Kill did (like a strong defense under DC Claeys) and improve on many other things that needed fixing. He came in and got rid of Limegrover. My hopes were bouyed. But no signature wins this year in the B1G just can't be reconciled with the idea that our trajectory is upward. Hence, I leaned (but not adamantly so) against extending Claeys' contract. My thoughts on Claeys became more concrete with this boycott debacle and Claeys' role in it.

Good post. Fair points all around. By the way, I would love to have the problem of sub-10-win seasons after a Rosebowl appearance.

I was never actually a huge Jerry Kill fan. But I liked Claeys. I think he was an improvement over Kill and I honestly believed he would keep some of the good things that Kill did (like a strong defense under DC Claeys) and improve on many other things that needed fixing. He came in and got rid of Limegrover. My hopes were bouyed. But no signature wins this year in the B1G just can't be reconciled with the idea that our trajectory is upward. Hence, I leaned (but not adamantly so) against extending Claeys' contract. My thoughts on Claeys became more concrete with this boycott debacle and Claeys' role in it.

I am almost with your thoughts 100% though I jumped off the TC wagon a little earlier than you

I mostly agree but that Wash St win was amazing even if many won't recognize it as such. To win that game with the available roster was a great coaching job at the very least. I label that a signature even if it wasn't a conference game.

I mostly agree but that Wash St win was amazing even if many won't recognize it as such. To win that game with the available roster was a great coaching job at the very least. I label that a signature even if it wasn't a conference game.

I agree. That was a good win.

I am almost with your thoughts 100% though I jumped off the TC wagon a little earlier than you

Cool, a reasonable response. That's unheard of on this board over the past month. Like I said, everyone is entitled to their opinion on this, especially regarding whether Claeys could get our program "over the hump" (which is impossible to know). I think most of the indignation here tonight is over how this was handled -- a month before signing day, a week after a rousing Bowl victory, and with almost the entire team clearly onboard with Claeys and co (and utterly pi$$ed at administration).

Coyle had better hope this works out. Again, as a 100% backer of the program I'm hoping and praying it does. I'm pi$$ed right now, but like every other true fan I'll be totally onboard if the staff has a pulse...and especially if the team is winning 10 games instead of 9 :clap:

By far best win of the season. Best win since 2014 really

Mitch, as a captain should be policing some of his teammates-

Top Bottom