Leidner can't buy a call

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
What did Leidner do to never get a late hit call? Doesn't matter if he is sliding or taking knee. Seems to be that defenders can do whatever they want to him.

In this case, Leidner was well into his slide when both players committed to the tackle.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Eh, I don't mind the non call.

We might not like the calls against us but let's not buy into the absurdity ourselves.

Anyway I belive for them to make the call there has to be "forcible contact to the head or neck area". The refs outright said at the game there was no forcible contact to the head or neck... I agree.

I thought it was the correct call. I like Burns' info, but he's a huge homer and is extremely bias.

Ryan James at least tells you how it is even though he's a Gopher fan like all of us. Burns can't see through the Gopher colored glasses.

I've pasted the rule below. It is written in a confusing fashion and it seems clear that many officials are over-aggressive with the call. Look at the Penn State player that was ejected. He was simply playing the ball for an INT and knocked heads by accident with the Michigan receiver. Targeting? Not by any reasonable definition of the rule. Franklin was right to be upset.

The hits on Leidner were late hits IMO and could have been called for targeting based on an overly literal interpretation of the rule. When is a hit considered "forcible"?

IMO there has to be an intent to injure and that's being mostly ignored. It's pretty obvious IMO when someone is spearing someone unnecessarily vs incidental contact such as the Penn State situation, Celestin's hit, or even Josey Jewell's hit.

No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent (See Note 2 below) with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting (See Note 1 below). When in question, it is a foul (Rules 2-27-14 and 9-6). (A.R. 9-1-4-I-VI)

Note 1: "Targeting" means that a player takes aim at an opponent for purposes of attacking with forcible contact that goes beyond making a legal tackle or a legal block or playing the ball. Some indicators of targeting include but are not limited to:

--Launch—a player leaving his feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area

--A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground

--Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area

--Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet

No Question it is Questionable

I thought it was the correct call. I like Burns' info, but he's a huge homer and is extremely bias.

Ryan James at least tells you how it is even though he's a Gopher fan like all of us. Burns can't see through the Gopher colored glasses.
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/7/13/12113306/college-football-rules-changes-2016

There is no point to sliding if two guys can jump on you, regardless of the targeting rule. It is a late hit!

All three were going to the ground at the almost same time (#43 had started his descent). Call physics and complain.

This was a good no call. 43 was going to the ground at the same time as leidner and 8 was already starting his motion too. 43 blocked 8 from actually hitting leidner. If 43 hand't been there and 8 went helmet to helmet then it should have been a foul but that didn't happen so the no call was the right call.

Was watching the afternoon games, the penn state targeting for an example is more proof this rule needs to be changed during the off season. Defenders should have rights too and some big hits are going to happen. Some times they just can't be avoided and if you are going to review them that has to be taken into consideration.

I wasn't referring to targeting, just late hit. What is the point of sliding if a player can jump on you after you start sliding? #43 could have easily avoided the contact.

I just think because Leidner is a big QB, he doesn't get these calls sometimes. The refs will protect the fragile QBs more.

I wasn't referring to targeting, just late hit. What is the point of sliding if a player can jump on you after you start sliding? #43 could have easily avoided the contact.

I just think because Leidner is a big QB, he doesn't get these calls sometimes. The refs will protect the fragile QBs more.

Completely disagree. Both defenders had already started their motion to the ground at the same time as Mitch. People need to realize sometimes there is nothing the defenders can do, especially when the QB starts their slide so late. Neither guy hit Leidner hard or maliciously, they just fell on him. If anything number 8 may of hit him in the head had 43 not been in his way, then they could have called a penalty but 43 took the hit, not leidner.

We've all seen late hits on QBs called despite it barely being a love tap or a shove, or "going low" when they were pushed into the QB by an offensive lineman. The hits on Leidner were definitely late whether intentional or not in the same way Celestins hit was technically considered targeting despite there be nothing he could do. It's consistency that is lacking.

There was a hit on Leidner vs Michigan last year where the defender basically picked him up and suplexed him. Flag was picked up. He definitely has a history of getting knocked around. Sure it's sour grapes but c'mon.

We've all seen late hits on QBs called despite it barely being a love tap or a shove, or "going low" when they were pushed into the QB by an offensive lineman. The hits on Leidner were definitely late whether intentional or not in the same way Celestins hit was technically considered targeting despite there be nothing he could do. It's consistency that is lacking.

Exactly. That is not how they are calling the late hit and targeting rule when it is the Gophers are on defense.

Might be a little of the Cam Newton effect. Big, mobile quarterback won't get the benefit of the doubt ever.

Completely disagree. Both defenders had already started their motion to the ground at the same time as Mitch. People need to realize sometimes there is nothing the defenders can do, especially when the QB starts their slide so late. Neither guy hit Leidner hard or maliciously, they just fell on him. If anything number 8 may of hit him in the head had 43 not been in his way, then they could have called a penalty but 43 took the hit, not leidner.

I guess we'll just have to disagree. Both players were standing straight up when Leidner's knee first hit the ground.

I guess we'll just have to disagree. Both players were standing straight up when Leidner's knee first hit the ground.

I am completely fine if you disagree about it being a late hit but the bold is just a lie. When leidner's knee first hits the ground both players have already started their downward motion.

As a previous defensive player (yeah middle and highschool!) a lot of these cases there really is nothing you can do when a QB decides to slide so late and into the tackler. There was nothing bad about these hits. Neither player tried to really "pop" him.

Gotta agree with GIA on this one... also with Pompous on the hit Mitch took in the Michigan game last year where the flag was picked up, that was unbelievable.

I am completely fine if you disagree about it being a late hit but the bold is just a lie. When leidner's knee first hits the ground both players have already started their downward motion.

Fair enough. I still feel they were at the point where they could have still stayed on their feet or avoided him. They hadn't left their feet yet, that is for sure.

I just see this get called as a penalty all the time. Would just be nice to see some consistency.

Just like tOSU last year, and one this year when leidner was kneeling, (forgot who was the opponent).

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Just like tOSU last year, and one this year when leidner was kneeling, (forgot who was the opponent). It's disgusting. Maybe all team can complain about this, but to me it seems MN bears the brunt of these bad calls.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/7/13/12113306/college-football-rules-changes-2016

There is no point to sliding if two guys can jump on you, regardless of the targeting rule. It is a late hit!

+1 Agree! Although slow motion can make things appear worse and or skew intent, the players in question could have easily touched Leidner with their hands to confirm he is down. Both players went down to hit him. Maybe not a head injury, but I've seen players get the wind knocked out of them or worse from such plays.

Normally I'd say it's just football, but the inconsistancy in calling/ enforcing is frustrating. As stated in another response, I am sure the confusing nature of the rule doesn't help.

You can nit pick all day about whether one or both of those players should have been flagged, but the OP is correct that Leidner can't buy a call. He almost NEVER gets the benefit of the doubt. Anything close goes the other way.

I remember last year (against Michigan maybe or Ohio State?) Leidner scored a rushing touchdown and was hit like 4 yards into the endzone. Knocked him off his feet. Details are sketchy, but that made me mad.

Fair enough. I still feel they were at the point where they could have still stayed on their feet or avoided him. They hadn't left their feet yet, that is for sure.

I just see this get called as a penalty all the time. Would just be nice to see some consistency.

Agreed, some consistency would be nice. And after thinking about it, it does seem like Mitch doesn't get the same calls as some QBs.

Leidner the Cam Newton of college football.

Let's all remember that the officials get one look at it and it's at full speed. Only calls that are potential targeting calls can involve replay. This slide is not one of them.

Leidner has slid late on occasion and the coaches put him in a bad spot on the taking a knee calls.

New and updated rules take time to evolve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Claeys was just asked about the officiating on his radio show. He said the Leidner hit should've been called a penalty and was the only call that bothered him. He asked the ref about it and was told "it wasn't hard enough." Claeys said he had never heard that before as a reason not to call it when a QB is sliding.

Leidner the Cam Newton of college football.

Let's all remember that the officials get one look at it and it's at full speed. Only calls that are potential targeting calls can involve replay. This slide is not one of them.

Leidner has slid late on occasion and the coaches put him in a bad spot on the taking a knee calls.

New and updated rules take time to evolve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you saying no other plays can be reviewed?

Top Bottom