Lefty Driesell passes away at 92

I saw a tweet from Tom McMillen, who was one of Driesell's best players. McMillen played in the NBA and went on to serve several terms as a US Congressman.

I remember those Maryland teams from '71 to '75. really solid.

couple of notes - Driesell is credited with being the 1st coach to do a "Midnight Madness" event to kick off the season.

but here is the best - from Wikipedia:

On July 12, 1973, Driesell saved the lives of at least ten children from several burning buildings. He and two other men were surf fishing around midnight in Bethany Beach, Delaware when he saw flames coming from a seashore resort. Driesell broke down a door and rescued several children from the fire that eventually destroyed four townhouses. An eyewitness, Prince George's County circuit court Judge Samuel Meloy, said, "Let's face it, Driesell was a hero. There were no injuries and it was a miracle because firemen didn't come for at least 30 minutes."[23] Driesell said, "Don't build me up as any kind of hero. All we did was try to get the kids out. It was just lucky that we were fishing right in front of the houses."[24] For these actions, Driesell was awarded the NCAA Award of Valor.[25]

Sadly, most of the great and charismatic coaches I grew up watching in the early '80s, and who helped me fall madly in love with college basketball, have died. Lefty, Bobby Knight, Dean Smith, John Thompson, Jim Valvano, Rollie Massimino, Guy Lewis, Jud Heathcote, Lou Henson, Billy Tubbs, Lute Olson and Jerry Tarkanian have all passed on.

Sadly, most of the great and charismatic coaches I grew up watching in the early '80s, and who helped me fall madly in love with college basketball, have died. Lefty, Bobby Knight, Dean Smith, John Thompson, Jim Valvano, Rollie Massimino, Guy Lewis, Jud Heathcote, Lou Henson, Billy Tubbs, Lute Olson and Jerry Tarkanian have all passed on.

Same here. Add Al McGuire as well

He didn't quite accomplish his announced goal of making Maryland the "UCLA of the east" but he won 786 D1 games and compiled a 66.6% winning percentage over four programs while taking all of them to the NCAA tournament. RIP

C’mon! WindyCity and no mention of Ray Meyer in your list?! That’s like a mortal sin to exclude him.

C’mon! WindyCity and no mention of Ray Meyer in your list?! That’s like a mortal sin to exclude him.
He was a bit before my time (his great run ended about '81 and I didn't start really watching college basketball until about '82 or '83). Plus, I'm not a native Chicagoan, so DePaul hoops is about as relevant to me as it is to anyone in Chicago under 50.

He was a bit before my time (his great run ended about '81 and I didn't start really watching college basketball until about '82 or '83). Plus, I'm not a native Chicagoan, so DePaul hoops is about as relevant to me as it is to anyone in Chicago under 50.
Understood.

Kids

He was still around and had a few good years after 1981. His last season (1984) was a very good one. 1981 was the year that they lost in the second round (they had a 1st round bye) to St. Joseph's as a #1 seed with a 27-1 record. He was a good guy, though, kind of like an ethnic grandpa that you'd meet at a Chicago bar and end up talking to for an hour.

Last edited:

Personalities are bad!

Can't agree more. Very similar with me. Loved some, hated some, changed my views as I grew up on some, but what charisma they had.
Lute will always be my guy, but will always cry when I see Valvano's speech.
Either way what a group of studs.

Top Bottom