LeBron Effect

Foxworth

Reaction score
Do you think that LeBron's decision on returning to Cleveland, will have an effect on potential recruits staying home in the next couple of years?

Interesting theory only because we saw the "package deal" really take off after LeBron, Wade, and Bosh came together in Miami.

I kind of doubt it though.

Do you think that LeBron's decision on returning to Cleveland, will have an effect on potential recruits staying home in the next couple of years?

No, 18 year old kids haven't lived enough to have the maturity of a 29 year old man. Even 25 year old LeBron didn't have that maturity. Leaving not included, he made several regrettable decisions that even he admits.

LeBron one of the few going in that direction...

stretch_armstrong1.jpg

Matta doesn't need any help recruiting, but it certainly can't hurt OSU having Bron-Bron in the same state.

You always think the grass is greener on the other side, until you accept a scholarship and arrive on campus in places like Iowa City.

Seventeen-year-olds do not have the maturity or foresight to think about things like life after college or their potential legendary status.

I think that is about the silliest concept I have heard this month.
Maybe if the local team has $20 million per year and several five star recruits lined up.

I dont think it's silly at all. LeBron saying his hometown means something, makes #hometown popular, kids tweet #hometown and write essay's about why it meant so much for them to stay home.

America IS THAT FICKLE.... and America's super star youth is even worse than the general public.

Now do I think it's going to cause some of our UofM recruits to stay home?..... DP nailed it on the head.

Yes, but it will take some time. Kids have seen their sports heroes chase the money for so long that it has become their ultimate goal to grab as much limelight as possible. This one action by LBJ could be a model for players to follow in playing to represent their home, friends and families. It gets to a point where you are making enough money (playing at a high enough level to make it to the NBA), so why not be proud of who helped make you who you are. You did see a surge in kids following the Big Three's example of playing together, I think there will be an increase in loyalty to home.

Packages had nothing to do with LeBron and the big 3. Ever heard of Greg Oden and Mike Conley Jr.?

LeBron didn't choose to go home, he chose to go someplace with better potential for future championships. I was ok with him leaving Cleveland and heading to Miami because he'd taken the Cavs as far as he could take them and their was no sign that a free agent was willing to go there to join him and he was too good on his own for the Cavs to get a high draft pick. Him taking that Cavs team to the Finals was one of the more impressive feats in recent NBA history. When he goes to Miami, they surround him with talent and he wins two titles in four years and become the first team since the 80's Celtics to go to four straight NBA Finals (Celtics did it when the NBA was at it's best in terms of talent and competitiveness). Now that Wade is declining and the cap ramifications of paying 3 stars prevent another big infusion of talent, LeBron jumps ship from the organization that helped him become a champion.

So no, this isn't going to entice kids to stay home, unless they believe LeBron's BS about choosing to go back home instead of realizing he was choosing a better opportunity to stack a team again. This is much more like the best player in the country choosing to go to Duke where they already have 6 McDonald's All Americans on the roster than it is a kid choosing to stay home. The tough choice for LeBron was to stay in Miami and let them rebuild a real contender in a year or two.

You always think the grass is greener on the other side, until you accept a scholarship and arrive on campus in places like Iowa City.

I'm not sure that analogy works. I'm pretty sure there's no grass in Iowa City; the cheerleaders have grazed it all away.

LeBron didn't choose to go home, he chose to go someplace with better potential for future championships. I was ok with him leaving Cleveland and heading to Miami because he'd taken the Cavs as far as he could take them and their was no sign that a free agent was willing to go there to join him and he was too good on his own for the Cavs to get a high draft pick. Him taking that Cavs team to the Finals was one of the more impressive feats in recent NBA history. When he goes to Miami, they surround him with talent and he wins two titles in four years and become the first team since the 80's Celtics to go to four straight NBA Finals (Celtics did it when the NBA was at it's best in terms of talent and competitiveness). Now that Wade is declining and the cap ramifications of paying 3 stars prevent another big infusion of talent, LeBron jumps ship from the organization that helped him become a champion.

So no, this isn't going to entice kids to stay home, unless they believe LeBron's BS about choosing to go back home instead of realizing he was choosing a better opportunity to stack a team again. This is much more like the best player in the country choosing to go to Duke where they already have 6 McDonald's All Americans on the roster than it is a kid choosing to stay home. The tough choice for LeBron was to stay in Miami and let them rebuild a real contender in a year or two.

Cleveland, without Klove, is not a contender for a year or two either. Cut the man a break. He had several places he could have gone for a stacked team. This would be a good time for Dr. Don to show up and give us his patented line on posting about stuff you have no idea about. Even without LeBron, Miami is still a playoff lock in the east. Cleveland was in the lottery last year.

It takes guts to compare Cleveland to "Duke with 6 Mcdonald's All Americans on the roster" when they were a one man show with Kyrie Irving last year. Wiggins doesn't change that as a rookie. I applaud you for throwing that against the wall and hoping for it to stick, though.

Cleveland, without Klove, is not a contender for a year or two either. Cut the man a break. He had several places he could have gone for a stacked team. This would be a good time for Dr. Don to show up and give us his patented line on posting about stuff you have no idea about. Even without LeBron, Miami is still a playoff lock in the east. Cleveland was in the lottery last year.

It takes guts to compare Cleveland to "Duke with 6 Mcdonald's All Americans on the roster" when they were a one man show with Kyrie Irving last year. Wiggins doesn't change that as a rookie. I applaud you for throwing that against the wall and hoping for it to stick, though.

While I disagree with the majority of EG9 post, I do agree with the premise that Cleveland has a better future than the Heat. The major hole in EG9s point, in my opinion, is if LeBron only wanted to be on a winning team, why didn't he sign a one year deal with the Heat/opt in, and go to Cleveland next year when they've arguably gotten a bit better and progressed. He still has a legitimate chance to win a championship with Bosh and Wade (I'd argue a very small chance as you have no idea who is on that team) this year and then decide if Cleveland is really up and coming next year (while giving them a chance to add another cheap young piece via the draft).

since the gopher-hole seems to have become the wolves-den;

"CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Now that LeBron James is back, what comes next:

1. For a while, it will be all Kevin Love, all the time for fans. Can the Cavs deal for Minnesota's power forward? It won't be easy. Love makes $15.7 million. The Cavs will be close to the salary cap once they sign James. His maximum contract will begin at $20.7 million next season. The math and nuances of the salary cap are complicated, but the franchise will have to find a way to give Minnesota a package of players with salaries of at least $14 million.
"

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2014/07/cleveland_cavaliers_scribbles_6.html

This has nothing to do with "going home." it's about chasing titles.

As far as the impact on HS kids and recruits, the ultimate message is go someplace where you think you have the best chance to win, AND to surround yourself with other good, young players, in order to assemble a "super team."

That is NOT a good message for the Gophers, unless Pitino can land some legit 4* and 5* players to make MN look like a more attractive destination for big-time recruits.

This has nothing to do with "going home." it's about chasing titles.

As far as the impact on HS kids and recruits, the ultimate message is go someplace where you think you have the best chance to win, AND to surround yourself with other good, young players, in order to assemble a "super team."

That is NOT a good message for the Gophers, unless Pitino can land some legit 4* and 5* players to make MN look like a more attractive destination for big-time recruits.

+1 Even silly to think it's going to influence some kid to stay home. As the best player in the world, James held all the cards and played them well. Better chance to win a title in Cleveland than in Miami again. He is now a saint again in Ohio whereas, if he had gone anyplace else, he'd be viewed as some cold-blooded mercenary simply chasing titles. Not what an image conscious King James wanted. If Tyus Jones in two years announces he has grown and is "coming home" to play for the Gophers then I'll believe there is a LeBron Effect. Of course, that would mean Duke was banned from tournament play for a couple
of years and lost about 8 scholarships.

If Tyus Jones in two years announces he has grown and is "coming home" to play for the Gophers then I'll believe there is a LeBron effect.

There won't be room for him. We're full up on star players or at least will be...

I'm real happy that LeBron is coming back to Cleveland. I don't think it is going to influence the average recruit to stay home at all, but if he gets to OSU more often it may help them a bit but probably not much. I think it's a great thing for Ohio.

Says the guy from a higher ranked ag school

Am I supposed to apologize that the U of M is a good school? That doesn't change the fact that cheerleaders in Iowa, much like the women in North Dakota, are cows.

Top Bottom