LB transfer question

ilovethebarn

Reaction score
Who was the LB that transferred here from Florida? Is he still on the team and will he be available next season. This board seemed pretty high on him, but I remember that was tempered by injury issues. I wish I could remember his name and if he stuck through the coaching change? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beal. He's still around. I don't know much more about him than that.

I assume you are referring to Brendan Beal. Last I heard he is not only still with the team but expected to be a major contributor next season, maybe even a starter.

I assume you are referring to Brendan Beal. Last I heard he is not only still with the team but expected to be a major contributor next season, maybe even a starter.

That is great news!! Thanks for the help.

I think his only downside is his injuries but he will start at Middle Linebacker and Tinsley will move to the outside and will probably be our best defensive player.

I think his only downside is his injuries but he will start at Middle Linebacker and Tinsley will move to the outside and will probably be our best defensive player.

Another good part about this kid is that he immedietly gives us a decent sized LB corp, which was definitely a problem last season. Tinsley had a very good year last year, but he is a bit undersized for the middle.

Another good part about this kid is that he immedietly gives us a decent sized LB corp, which was definitely a problem last season. Tinsley had a very good year last year, but he is a bit undersized for the middle.

Beal is bigger and faster than Sam Maresh.

I love the fact that they are comparing him to Pete Najarian!!! That is cool!!! What if he gets a 6th year due to the medical issues!!!! Just think, a real middle linebacker!!!! I mean one that is as highly decorated as we have ever had!!!!!!

I think I am foaming at the mouth!!!! I might have my first man crush!!!!:eek:

He said he had 3 years of eligibility left, so maybe he did get a 6th year? Can anyone elaborate?

Beal got the 6th year.

I believe he even talked about in his Gopherhole interview last summer.

I've heard that the kid looks great at practice.

However, if any of you read any of the blogs about Beal from Gator fans there were some kind of interesting stories about this kid. They really didn't seem bitter at all and most of them wished him luck. Like I said, the few guys who brought up the story didn't come across like trollish haters. But according to a few people from these message boards, Beal is and always was just hype (as far as being a stud college LB). Supposedly, Beal isn't really from Bethlehem, PA. His family is from and lives in New Jersey and he played in a really weak HS conference. So the Beal's rented some small apartment in PA because that school was some sort of powerhouse and he lived there for all of 4 months (he was a January enrollee at Florida). According to these people, his father is a pretty well connected guy and somehow built like a sort of buzz around this kid that exceeded what he actually was, and in the wacky world of recruiting, his stock sky rocketed. Essentially, he became a HS LB version of Hayo Carpenter. According to them, he also asked BC if he could go there and BC turned him down.

Now again, I am only bringing this up because it sounded like an interesting story and being a MN sports fan, I am bracing myself for let down. Everyone that i've heard comment about the kid while he has been at the U has sounded impressed and he seems like a good kid. I am sure I will get blasted by some people for posting this, but I am merely trying to let people know there was this rumor/myth/fabrication/thought going around about this kid in circles at Florida.

I've heard that the kid looks great at practice.

However, if any of you read any of the blogs about Beal from Gator fans there were some kind of interesting stories about this kid. They really didn't seem bitter at all and most of them wished him luck. Like I said, the few guys who brought up the story didn't come across like trollish haters. But according to a few people from these message boards, Beal is and always was just hype (as far as being a stud college LB). Supposedly, Beal isn't really from Bethlehem, PA. His family is from and lives in New Jersey and he played in a really weak HS conference. So the Beal's rented some small apartment in PA because that school was some sort of powerhouse and he lived there for all of 4 months (he was a January enrollee at Florida). According to these people, his father is a pretty well connected guy and somehow built like a sort of buzz around this kid that exceeded what he actually was, and in the wacky world of recruiting, his stock sky rocketed. Essentially, he became a HS LB version of Hayo Carpenter. According to them, he also asked BC if he could go there and BC turned him down.

Now again, I am only bringing this up because it sounded like an interesting story and being a MN sports fan, I am bracing myself for let down. Everyone that i've heard comment about the kid while he has been at the U has sounded impressed and he seems like a good kid. I am sure I will get blasted by some people for posting this, but I am merely trying to let people know there was this rumor/myth/fabrication/thought going around about this kid in circles at Florida.

Well, according to people that got a chance to speak to the former coaches, the coaches feel that Beal isn't as good as the fans think he's going to be. A good player, but not a great player.

Well the tape of him at the spring game for Flordia looked pretty damn good, but I guess we will have to wait and see.

Florida Message board

Here's the post. I have not checked this out .. but It would be fairly easy to do so. The post is spaking about why he would leave Florida.... and someone suggested a girlfriend in PA.

"It can’t be a girlfriend in PA because he lives in NJ. Was never from PA to begin with. And stop writing the word Bangor in his Florida bio…nobody in that town ever saw the kid for one second. His mom & sisters live in NJ and Brendan had a rented address in Bethlehem, PA for a few months. He only rented an address so he could attend a large Bethlehem High School for 4 mos in his senior year of 2007…his 3rd High school in 4 years. That HS had been to the State finals in 05 & 06 and won the State Championship in 08…ALL WITHOUT HIM. He was a kid who played in a weak league in New Jersey as a soph & junior.
This kid was overhyped to begin with and everyone in NJ & PA is laughing at the Gators for biting on the bait that his daddy put in the water. He was moved around like a chess piece to try to create a myth that he was some superstar LB and he was just an athlete that had a ceiling of a College special teamer at best. He tried to leave Florida LAST YEAR but Boston College told him don’t bother unless he was healthy.
If BC doesn’t want him again, then he will end up at FCS school like Villanova or Delaware.
Meyers recruits some great players and every once in a while, he makes a MISTAKE…this was one of them."

Read more: http://www.onlygators.com/05/17/2010/lb-brendan-beal-confirms-transfer-out-of-florida/#ixzz1BCvzV5Ix
ONLY GATORS Get Out Alive

Florida Message

Here's another post. Interesting he mentions him fitting better in the Big Ten.

"I disagree with Drew and Gatorzone… Beal is too slow to play outside at Florida and MLB will be sealed up for the next two seasons by Jenkins or Bostic. He is getting overlooked because of his lack of speed and pursuit – watch practice and O&B game film and you will see it. He will be a better fit at a Big Ten program to match strength vs. strength.

Funny thing is I remember his 40 time coming in was a 4.4, but it seems like a totally different 4.4 than Jenkins is running out at practice, could be due to injury but I think it he is too big to keep up with the current talent at Florida and around the SEC."

Read more: http://www.onlygators.com/05/17/2010/lb-brendan-beal-confirms-transfer-out-of-florida/#ixzz1BCzbIpz4
ONLY GATORS Get Out Alive

The gophers look like they are going to have their best group of lb's I can remember. Tinsley is a playmaker, cooper is going to have another year to get bigger and will be playing next to beal (who is a big lb). Plus as far as those comments on that board about a player that had some injury issues, I think you can take with a grain of salt. Who knows how informed the posters are, I can say anything too and it does not make it fact. Why would Florida be bitter? 5 star players are the norm there, lose one and another one comes there.

Hard to make judgment on his playing abilities when he spent a year at Florida with a torn ACL and other injuries.

Does that Florida poster honestly believe that Beal pulled a quick one on all those scouts and coaches?? 4 stars, 6.0 rating, highest ever for Gophers, offers from all helmet schools. I mean come on, the kid has tons of talent obviously, some injury concerns, but currently heathly.

Does that Florida poster honestly believe that Beal pulled a quick one on all those scouts and coaches?? 4 stars, 6.0 rating, highest ever for Gophers, offers from all helmet schools. I mean come on, the kid has tons of talent obviously, some injury concerns, but currently heathly.

I agree. I have a hard time believing that none of those coaches watched any tape of him before they offered.

I have a hard time believing his ceiling is that of a college special teamer. Imagine how many offers Johnny Johnson would have if he had a rich connected daddy.

I love the fact that they are comparing him to Pete Najarian!!! That is cool!!! What if he gets a 6th year due to the medical issues!!!! Just think, a real middle linebacker!!!! I mean one that is as highly decorated as we have ever had!!!!!!

I think I am foaming at the mouth!!!! I might have my first man crush!!!!:eek:

Or possibly rabies.

wow, we actually have a Beal hater without even seeing the kid play as a gopher. Tape and stats don't lie. FYI...his dad lived in Bethlehem PA after a divorce and Roxbury HS in NJ would not allow him early graduation in December so his mother was ok to let him live with his father and attended Liberty HS (Persa played there) - plus best competitive football in PA. I read Beal was Army AA, 1st Team Parade AA, 1st Team all state PA, PA Gatorade player of the year beating out Ohio State Pryor. Kid graduated early to attend college for in January to play spring ball. Most HS kids stick around and goof off their last 1/2 of Sr yr.

Kid had ACL injury, Neck injury and fell behind on depth chart at Florida and decided to transfer. I guess you can say Cam Newton was over hyped when he left florida (Meyer wished he had him last year) - give me a break. Like I said his film doesn't lie - saw his HS and Florida tapes - kid is a legit stud at LB and I'm estatic that Brew convinced him to come here. If he stays healthy - he'll be a special player.

Did a poster said he played at 3 HS - instant lost of credibility. Like I said all those awards are given after being evaluated by coaches, scouts, etc...Florida fans was not happy he left but all wished him well and was a great kid tracking a 3.7 GPA in Finance.

It's amazing how a good kid like Beal with 2 season ending injuries, transfered to a Big 10 school and there are a few haters - I feel sorry for people like that. Twist a story. Seems to me this kid had the any school he wanted to attended and caught a few bad breaks with injuries. Kid has faced adversity in his young life and seems pretty intelligent and motivated to help the Gophers win.

Some of these posters obviously don't know the real Brendan Beal - I'm with you Brendan - good luck, stay healthy, and have a great football career at the U.

wow, we actually have a Beal hater without even seeing the kid play as a gopher. Tape and stats don't lie. FYI...his dad lived in Bethlehem PA after a divorce and Roxbury HS in NJ would not allow him early graduation in December so his mother was ok to let him live with his father and attended Liberty HS (Persa played there) - plus best competitive football in PA. I read Beal was Army AA, 1st Team Parade AA, 1st Team all state PA, PA Gatorade player of the year beating out Ohio State Pryor. Kid graduated early to attend college for in January to play spring ball. Most HS kids stick around and goof off their last 1/2 of Sr yr.

Kid had ACL injury, Neck injury and fell behind on depth chart at Florida and decided to transfer. I guess you can say Cam Newton was over hyped when he left florida (Meyer wished he had him last year) - give me a break. Like I said his film doesn't lie - saw his HS and Florida tapes - kid is a legit stud at LB and I'm estatic that Brew convinced him to come here. If he stays healthy - he'll be a special player.

Did a poster said he played at 3 HS - instant lost of credibility. Like I said all those awards are given after being evaluated by coaches, scouts, etc...Florida fans was not happy he left but all wished him well and was a great kid tracking a 3.7 GPA in Finance.

It's amazing how a good kid like Beal with 2 season ending injuries, transfered to a Big 10 school and there are a few haters - I feel sorry for people like that. Twist a story. Seems to me this kid had the any school he wanted to attended and caught a few bad breaks with injuries. Kid has faced adversity in his young life and seems pretty intelligent and motivated to help the Gophers win.

Some of these posters obviously don't know the real Brendan Beal - I'm with you Brendan - good luck, stay healthy, and have a great football career at the U.

Awesome post.. THANKS!!! :clap::clap::clap:

He'll be a beast, plain and simple! Can't wait to see this kid on the field this upcoming season! Keep working hard Mr. Beal and you'll put all of your haters words to rest a year from now.

Top Bottom