Latest Rumor Scenario

Gophfan22

Reaction score
here's the latest rumor:
"A source within the Big 12 told ESPN's Joe Schad on Friday that Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are poised to announce they intend to join the Pac-10 as early as Tuesday, with Texas A&M still not firmly on board."

So, if this happens, this will leave four big 12 north teams left and the only remaining big 12 south team left would be Baylor and they're small enough where they can fit in with the Mountain West decently....Assuming that Texas A & M jumps on board with the rest of the big 12 south, this will put the Pac 10 at 16 teams, the only logical move for the big ten to make if they want to compete would then be to bring in those four teams left which are Kansas, Kansas St., Mizzou, and Iowa St, which would then put the big ten up to 16 teams

And do you only date the girls your friend's have dumped and eat the chinese food from last night?

KSU is a four year Junior College, with Kansas not being that far ahead. The Big Ten would fall over laughing if they asked to join. ISU offers nothing to the Big Ten. The only logical one would be Mizzu, but with Illinois bringing in St Louis, Mizzu would be repetitive,

here's the latest rumor:
"A source within the Big 12 told ESPN's Joe Schad on Friday that Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are poised to announce they intend to join the Pac-10 as early as Tuesday, with Texas A&M still not firmly on board."

So, if this happens, this will leave four big 12 north teams left and the only remaining big 12 south team left would be Baylor and they're small enough where they can fit in with the Mountain West decently....Assuming that Texas A & M jumps on board with the rest of the big 12 south, this will put the Pac 10 at 16 teams, the only logical move for the big ten to make if they want to compete would then be to bring in those four teams left which are Kansas, Kansas St., Mizzou, and Iowa St, which would then put the big ten up to 16 teams

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA!!! Lady! You're alllll right!

here's the latest rumor:

That's funny, we can all use the laughs. Seriously though, I see this is your first post, so tell us which of the Big XII leftovers is the school you normally cheer for? Nebraska was a HUGE stretch academically for the Big Ten, the leftovers would be better suited joining with the Dakota schools and form their own conference.

I never said I wanted any of that to happen, because I don't...I was just giving a possible
scenario that if Texas and those other schools move to the Pac 10 very quickly, the big ten might freak out and add a few more schools to try keep pace with the Pac 10..and those four would be the easiest to take since they have nowhere to go...I know this scenario is a longshot and one that I would hate to see happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did no matter how stupid it might be

I never said I wanted any of that to happen, because I don't...I was just giving a possible
scenario that if Texas and those other schools move to the Pac 10 very quickly, the big ten might freak out and add a few more schools to try keep pace with the Pac 10..and those four would be the easiest to take since they have nowhere to go...I know this scenario is a longshot and one that I would hate to see happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did no matter how stupid it might be

With all due respect, friend, it is plain that you haven't been following the news cycle on this topic. The Big Ten has shut off the Western Front and will now be pursuing expansion eastward as was expected. I am sorry but Missouri is not coming, and neither are Kansas nor Kansas State. It is doubtful any of those schools were serious contenders anyway because of their low academic profile. Nebraska will enter the Big Ten as the lowest academic profile school and it is still ahead of those other three schools.

Thus upside for the "leftover" schools (an insulting term that people should stop using) is the opportunity to form a powerful Mountain West conference with football powerhouses Utah, Boise State, TCU, and BYU. I don't think anyone should be pooh poohing that idea, although I understand how unpalatable it may sound to Mizzou and Kansas fans.

With all due respect, friend, it is plain that you haven't been following the news cycle on this topic. The Big Ten has shut off the Western Front and will now be pursuing expansion eastward as was expected. I am sorry but Missouri is not coming, and neither are Kansas nor Kansas State. It is doubtful any of those schools were serious contenders anyway because of their low academic profile. Nebraska will enter the Big Ten as the lowest academic profile school and it is still ahead of those other three schools.

Thus upside for the "leftover" schools (an insulting term that people should stop using) is the opportunity to form a powerful Mountain West conference with football powerhouses Utah, Boise State, TCU, and BYU. I don't think anyone should be pooh poohing that idea, although I understand how unpalatable it may sound to Mizzou and Kansas fans.

It wouldn't be a bad basketball conference either...adding KU and Missouri to a conference with Utah, BYU, UNLV, New Mexico, San Diego State, and Boise State. I think they'd consistently get 4-5 in the tourny every year.

It wouldn't be a bad basketball conference either...adding KU and Missouri to a conference with Utah, BYU, UNLV, New Mexico, San Diego State, and Boise State. I think they'd consistently get 4-5 in the tourny every year.

4-5???? not likely. Kansas would still be a lock every year, and missouri likely but who knows how they would fare down the road in a downgraded conference. Having KU and Missouri in there would add three losses to most of those schools records and knock them out of consideration. I could see three

here's the latest rumor:

NOT LIKELY AT ALL. I think this perceived notion of a drive to 14 or 16 teams is a false premise. At this point, The Big Ten has the luxury to sit back and gather some evidence of revenue production that will result from the addition of Nebraska and await to see how the networks, particularly the contract with Notre Dame, work out in the expansion era. Money will be the only force to humble ND and The Big Ten can add them without ever getting a 14th team if it does not make sense revenue production-wise. Keep in mind that ND was likely given the first choice to join The Big Ten even recently before Nebraska and was considering same as long as a committment to stop expansion at them if they agreed; It is clear that their chief concern is the money. The top two teams each year will play for The Big Ten Championship; no divisions needed although divisions allow you to limit the likelihood of rematches. Remember, first the academics of the institutions considered have to match the Big Ten reasonably academically. Then the addition has to make sense economically. Why add teams that will undoutedly reduce the revenue shares? Moreover, why chase the fly by the seat of your pants PAC-10? We can sit back and study them to see if the mega size conference works.

I still think that Missouri will be a Big 10 member, but ONLY when we add another school. If ND says no, I think it ends up Rutgers/Pitt and Missouri. The problem for Missouri is if ND drags their feet and the Big 10 does not add in the next week or so... can Missouri wait for the invitation or do they align with the MWC to cover their ass? It has become a nerve-wracking time for several schools, for sure.

In my humble opinion... the two schools with the most to lose from a splintered Big 12 are Baylor and Iowa State. Small fanbases and no national appeal.

The Big 10 started this whole transition, but the Pac 10 kinda stole the spotlight. Sure has brought college football, front and center, to the headlines.

In my humble opinion... the two schools with the most to lose from a splintered Big 12 are Baylor and Iowa State. Small fanbases and no national appeal.

Thanks for sharing. Now we can sleep tonight.

4-5???? not likely. Kansas would still be a lock every year, and missouri likely but who knows how they would fare down the road in a downgraded conference. Having KU and Missouri in there would add three losses to most of those schools records and knock them out of consideration. I could see three

Actually, in my mind, Missouri is the wild card. I know that no one pays attention to the MWC, but they send 3 every year as it is now. Utah, UNLV, UNM are always basketball contenders. BYU has been very good of late, as has Boise State. And Steve Fisher at SDSU usually produces pretty good teams as well.

The problem is, this isn't about basketball. It's all about TV $ from football.

I'm sure ISU's on the Big Ten's list of schools to add to expand the conference.

Of course, they're probably somewhere in the 300s after Gustavus and St. Olaf turn the conference down.

Top Bottom