Latest from Sid

mckerney

Reaction score
<i>The Gophers and Wisconsin are battling for Tom Parish of Hartland, Wis., the most hotly recruited senior high school quarterback in the Midwest. Rumors are that Parish will commit to Minnesota when he attends the Gophers scrimmage Saturday. Parish's father played high school quarterback for Bob Berezowitz, father of Gophers recruiting coordinator Dan Berezowitz.</i>

Rivals shows Parish having other offers fom Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Western Michigan. Would be nice to add a 4th player to in the instate class for 2010.

I love it, anyone that we take from the BADgers or they don't get is a good thing! :)

I have read Sid for over 5 decades now, and he is right many more times than wrong. young pups...believe it if Sid says it. He may be 89 years old, but he is no dummy.

Wow, this would be awesome...it's about time we start getting some of the top Wisconsin players instead of vice versa. If Sid is right about one of the top QBs in the Midwest (is he), then it's a huge get.

doesnt bucky have 3 supposedly really good qb's next year in-state?

Wow, this would be awesome...it's about time we start getting some of the top Wisconsin players instead of vice versa. If Sid is right about one of the top QBs in the Midwest (is he), then it's a huge get.

The kid is probably a pretty good QB but to say he is the most hotly recruited in the midwest is a stretch to say the least. Here are some QB's from the Midwest who are all in the Rivals top 250.

Blake Bell(Wichita, KS)--25th ranked player overall and leaning towards Oklahoma or Nebraska

Joe Boisture (MI)-currently committed to Boston College

A.J. Derby(Iowa City, IA) - advantage to Iowa probably because his dad played there and his brother curently does. Also looking at Nebraska.

Devin Gardner (MI)

Robert Bolden (MI)

Its true, Wisconsin does have 3 good prep Qb's in the class of 2010.

According to the Bucky boards, this is probably their # 2 choice. There is another that they feel more highly on then Parrish. Wisconsin is also recruiting hard a QB from Mullin HS in Denver where the Brewster sons went to high school. They like him more then any of the three WI qb's.

Parrish would be a nice get, but it isn't the most highly recruited QB in the midwest. Still would easily be a 3 star QB with the definate potential to play after some redshirting/benchwarming time behind Weber/ Grey

Is anyone else wondering why the coaches are collecting QBs like it's going out of style?

Could it be because Alipate will never play the position?

I don't know anything about him at all, but a friend of mine who watched his entire HS career says he can't be a Big Ten QB. Perhaps TE or DE.

If Alipate really is going to be a QB, how many QBs do we need? If Gray is as good as advertised, anyone being recruited right now won't even see the field until at least 2012, or more likely, 2013. What's the point? Shouldn't the recruiting efforts be focused more on building up some depth on the D-line and the secondary?

I was wondering the same thing. Seems to me we are already pretty well set at QB for now.

Collecting QB's

I like the fact that their recruiting QB's hard. We don't have a QB for this recruiting class yet and I like to see at least 1 QB a year. Parrish hopefully fills that need this year. I don't think recruiting Parrish reflects badly on any other QB in the system just simply need to bring at least one in each year.

Brewster said from the time he came to Gopherland that he would try to recruit one outstanding quarterback each year. The logic was that you usually never know how a QB is going to turn out until they are in the program for a couple years, injuries are frequent at the position and other issues can pop up to wipe out your depth. I agree with him. Remember when Mason took four QBs in one class? That was really strange because none of them could adequately play another position.

Collecting QB's like it's going out of style? Brewster has been bringing in one high profile QB recruit per year, as he said he intended to do so. Nance from 2008 ended up at QB as well so technically that is 2 from that class.

Looking at Mason, he essentially did the same thing. One QB a year, except for the year when he signed 6 QB's, of which I believe we received one collective start (Mortensen vs. WI?).

I don't see any signs the staff doesn't think Alipate will be able to play QB. I think they are merely doing exactly what they said - they aren't handing out starting positions, they are recruiting good kids and letting the best win the position.

I have read Sid for over 5 decades now, and he is right many more times than wrong. young pups...believe it if Sid says it. He may be 89 years old, but he is no dummy.

I appreciate your comments and my (in-law)family comments that grew up here. However I moved here. And his last 10 years (the time I have been here) He is wrong more often then right. In addition he is wrong when he is on his own show when the questions are prepped for him. I have pointed this out so many times.

I have come to the conclusion not to trust anything he says. In fact I have pointed it out so much to my in-laws they no longer try to defend him, and the conversation has swayed to he was a good reporter

Brewster has said that he wants to recruit one elite QB per year. Look at it this way, if you go one year without recruiting a QB and one guy in an adjacent class fails to perform up to expectations or transfers you sure as hell better pray that the next QB works out because he is going to be starting as a sophomore. Look at the situation in Penn State this year...Devlin was beat out by Clark for the starting job and ended up transferring. Clark is a senior, Devlin would have been a junior and for whatever reason they didn't have any QB in the sophomore class. After learning that Devlin was transferring they had to recruit an elite level QB to add to this year's freshman class (they were fortunate to get a Michigan decommit in January) and he will be backing up Clark this year. He is projected to start next year as a true sophomore so he has to succeed or they're screwed because their next best option is a true freshman.

I've watched the videos of Parish and he reminds me a lot of Adam Weber. He is a dual threat QB and his HS runs an offense with a lot of option plays so he gets ample opportunity to run the ball. IMO he appears a little bit faster than Weber while running. He doesn't throw the ball a lot but when he does he appears to have very good touch on the deep ball. His arm looks does not appear to be as strong as Weber. Outside of those two specific comparisons they look very similar. Parish plays for a Wisconsin powerhouse that lost in the state championship last season.

The QB most of the Wisconsin fans seem to want--Demler--doesn't seem any better to me. My guess for why most of them want Demler more is that he plays in a more wide open passing offense and has much better stats. Also, he was projected to be rated higher than Parish but Parish is currently sitting with 4 D-I offers (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and W. Michigan) and Demler is getting interest from schools in the Dakotas. He may end up getting more interest but for whatever reason interest has been coming in slower for Demler. Demler is only 6-1 which may be generous and Parish is 6-3 or 6-4 depending on the source which may be impacting the offers. If you compare the players on the field, Demler has a stronger arm and slightly above average mobility; Parish is definitely a better runner. I think both QB's will be rated 3* because size is a concern with Demler and Parish does everything well but he doesn't wow you with his athleticism.

These opinions have been formed from watching a couple minutes of film on each of them and I read the Wiscy boards yesterday to see what they were saying so I wouldn't consider myself an expert on either of them.

I hope that we set our sights higher than Parish however and go after some of the better QB's in the midwest and country.

As far as anyone knows, Parish doesn't have offers from Iowa and Wisconsin, just interest. The rumor was started by the Mod at the Minnesota Rivals site. A day or two after that was said the UW rivals site did an interview with him and there was no mention of offers and this was after he attended practice last weekend. Now with that said, recruiting as we all know if very fluid so things could have changed.

As to the QBs in state this year, it depends on what type of QB you want. Delmer is more of a Drew Brees type of QB, while the Adam Weber comparison for Parish is spot on. The other QBs name is Sinz and he is more of a mix of the two. All three were told to come to camp and compete for the scholarship. All three, while talented have major questions marks against them, Delmer in regards to his size, Parish in his ability to throw the ball effectively and Sinz in regards to if QB will be his position in college. UW is taking two QBs this year but more then likely only one from in state.

As far as anyone knows, Parish doesn't have offers from Iowa and Wisconsin, just interest. The rumor was started by the Mod at the Minnesota Rivals site. A day or two after that was said the UW rivals site did an interview with him and there was no mention of offers and this was after he attended practice last weekend. Now with that said, recruiting as we all know if very fluid so things could have changed.

As to the QBs in state this year, it depends on what type of QB you want. Delmer is more of a Drew Brees type of QB, while the Adam Weber comparison for Parish is spot on. The other QBs name is Sinz and he is more of a mix of the two. All three were told to come to camp and compete for the scholarship. All three, while talented have major questions marks against them, Delmer in regards to his size, Parish in his ability to throw the ball effectively and Sinz in regards to if QB will be his position in college. UW is taking two QBs this year but more then likely only one from in state.

Sinz plays in Wisconsin Division 6 (equivalent of MN Class A), so he'd be a project for any team. Arrowhead would be a great spot to build some recruiting inroads.

Is anyone else wondering why the coaches are collecting QBs like it's going out of style?

Could it be because Alipate will never play the position?

I don't know anything about him at all, but a friend of mine who watched his entire HS career says he can't be a Big Ten QB. Perhaps TE or DE.

If Alipate really is going to be a QB, how many QBs do we need? If Gray is as good as advertised, anyone being recruited right now won't even see the field until at least 2012, or more likely, 2013. What's the point? Shouldn't the recruiting efforts be focused more on building up some depth on the D-line and the secondary?

Do you remember when we had to start Bryan Cupito as a sophomore even though he wasn't ready? Or when freshman Tony Mortenson was rushed into starting a game when Cupito went down in 2005? How about Mason signing 6 in one class out of panic, Oregon losing a shot at a PAC 10 title because they didn't have a capable backup for Dennis Dixon, or Wisconsin's struggles at QB and the trouble that gave them last season?

Brewster has said that he plans on signing a QB every year, and it's the right move regardless of how much he likes the guys he's brought in already. In college football teams need to provide themselves with numerous options at QB because even some of the best QB prospects in the nation won't work out, you could see a guy leave early for the draft, and numerous other things could happen that would result in the current options at QB not being enough down the road. No matter how much Brewster would right now love to have Weber to start the next two years, Gray to take over for him, and then Alipate to start his senior year without any of them seeing injury and them all playing All Big Ten caliber football, it's just not something you can count. Quarterback may be a position where you only need one guy on the field at a time, but it's the most important position on the field and you need to make sure that you have more than one guy ready to take the field at all times.

And on Alipate it's impossible to tell right now if he'll be able to use his cannon arm to become a top QB, will fail to progress beyond what he did in high school, or where he may wind up in between. So in part the reason is because Alipate may never be able to play the position, but not because the coaching staff doesn't think he'll never be able to. I do know though that numerous colleges thought Alipate could end up as a good QB for them, and I'd hate to see what happened to Pitt when Walt Harris told Joe Flacco he wanted to move him to tight end because he liked the guy they had ahead of him, so Flacco transfered to Delaware and in 2007 had a season that lead to him being taken in the first round while Pitts season was derailed in part by poor QB play.

And on Parish's offers, his dad reported receiving offers from Wisconsin and Iowa on the day he went on invite from Bielema to Wisconsin's spring practice last week, and both offers are listed on his profile at Rivals.

Here is the quote from his dad on 3/31 after he visited Wisconsin.

"He's been offered a scholarship by Minnesota and the other night he was offered a scholarship by Western Michigan," Steve Parish reported. "He's visited three schools – Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa – and we've had a high level of interest from Harvard and Stanford."

Like I said, it was the MOD from the Minnesota site that stated that and people ran with it but there hasnt been any confirmation from anybody. Again until we hear it from his dad or Tom himself we should assume he doesnt have those offers.

Jwill--His rivals page would beg to argue with you about whether it is a rumor that he has an Iowa and Wisconsin offer.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=89664&sport=1

I'm not sure when your mod did his interview but I know the offers came after the national story was written.

Like I said that may very well have happened. Any Mod can adjust the Offer status of players, and the UW MOD and Iowa MOD are trying to track down the truth since neither have heard that he got the offers.

Either way lets not try to get into a pissing match and just be happy for the kid. I know that I would have been doing back flips to get a scholarship offer from any school, let alone a D1 school in a BCS conference.

Like I said that may very well have happened. Any Mod can adjust the Offer status of players, and the UW MOD and Iowa MOD are trying to track down the truth since neither have heard that he got the offers.

Either way lets not try to get into a pissing match and just be happy for the kid. I know that I would have been doing back flips to get a scholarship offer from any school, let alone a D1 school in a BCS conference.

I'm not trying to get in any argument. I am just defending our mods which tend to be very accurate in their reporting. If Sid's story is accurate it seems reasonable that Mr. Parish would be talking to the Minnesota mod more than the mods from Iowa or Wisconsin and therefore the Minnesota mod would probably have the best info. If he isn't planning on committing to Wisconsin or Iowa his father doesn't have much incentive to call their mods and talk with them.

I'm not trying to get in any argument. I am just defending our mods which tend to be very accurate in their reporting. If Sid's story is accurate it seems reasonable that Mr. Parish would be talking to the Minnesota mod more than the mods from Iowa or Wisconsin and therefore the Minnesota mod would probably have the best info. If he isn't planning on committing to Wisconsin or Iowa his father doesn't have much incentive to call their mods and talk with them.

I give you credit for being able to say the Minnesota mods tend to be very accurate with a straight face.

I give you credit for being able to say the Minnesota mods tend to be very accurate with a straight face.

Would you have preferred that I said they are as accurate as their source?

Reporting on recruiting is made more difficult because the teams can not comment on recruits which means that they can't be used to verify the information provided by a recruit. Do you remember when the kid faked his recruitment a couple years ago and "chose Cal over Oregon?" Neither schools could tell the press that they weren't recruiting him so everybody believed it and they had the local press at the gym to record him putting on the Cal hat. Only in recruiting can somebody fool everybody like that.

Grunkiejr you know I have no beef with you and enjoy our exchanges. Everyone knows where I am from and I am only here to have informed conversations without having it devolve into name calling as people on both boards tend to do. I am only here to give a UW perspective on certain issues just the same way you try to do over at the other site.

With that out of the way, I can totally understand you point about him not talking to the MODs at either school and can say that as the moment I am typing this they have not been able to get ahold of either Tom or his son. So what you said may very well be true. If he does commit to UM that just makes the coaches decision on which QB to take that much easier. They were only going to take one in state kid anyways.

I'm with grunkiejr. You recruit a QB who is of the caliber to succeed in your conference each and every year.

Part of the problem with Cupito is that Mason played Abdul-Khaliq just about every down (even against a cupcake that the Gophers were thrashing) and then the sub would come in and hand off for a few series. That is one of my biggest gripes against Mason.

But you always should have a QB-in-waiting. There should be five on scholarship and another couple of walk-ons.

And lets just be honest. There aren't that many really good QB's to begin with at the college level. Just look at powerhouse LSU. They had QB problems last year, that one kid got kicked off the team and then they were left without a QB good enough to win as many games last year. You can't have too many good QB's on the team. I have faith that Alipate will be a good QB for us, once he gets on the field. But you can't just bank on that. Yes right now, we do have 2 serviceable QB's in Weber and hopefully Gray, but we can't rely on getting a 4 star QB ever 3 or 4 years and take over the program. I mean we only had 2 QB's for 8 years, i believe, with Al-Kquida(yea i'm a horrible speller) and Cupito. But it's not normally like that at. Lets hope this kid comes, and even if he doesn't, whoever we get will be a good QB when he gets the chance.

I'm guessing Alipate will redshirt unless both Weber and Gray get injured (and let's not forget Nance). And that's the way to do it. Redshirt QBs who would otherwise be the 3rd-string guy and have a walk-on serve as the 3rd QB.

I'm guessing Alipate will redshirt unless both Weber and Gray get injured (and let's not forget Nance). And that's the way to do it. Redshirt QBs who would otherwise be the 3rd-string guy and have a walk-on serve as the 3rd QB.

I 100% agree with everything in this post. Ideally we would have 5 scholarship QB's on the roster every year. It is the most important position and one of the most frequently injured positions.

Also, most HS teams put their best athlete at either QB or RB so it is never a problem to have them in your program and figure out later that one isn't going to make it at QB and move him to another skill position (Stoudermire was a HS QB, Kellen Lewis is moving to WR at Indiana, heck even Anthony Montgomery was a HS QB).

Top Bottom