Last Road W Vs. BCS Opponent 1989 @ Iowa State?

spermophilus

Reaction score
Last Non-Conf Road W Vs. BCS Opponent 1989 @ Iowa State?

Someone either refute this, or enjoy this win today.

Are we talking out of the B10? If so then maybe, if not Illinois last year.

Illinois 2008

Indiana 2006

Michigan State 2006

Wait...I'm guessing we're not talking about Big 10.......

Kent State? Are they BCS? Is Bowling Green? I'm not sure which conferences are considered BCS........

Here You Go

Illinois 2008

Indiana 2006

Michigan State 2006

Wait...I'm guessing we're not talking about Big 10.......

Kent State? Are they BCS? Is Bowling Green? I'm not sure which conferences are considered BCS........

SEC, ACC, Big East, Big XII, Pac-10, and Big Ten

1989 @ Iowa State.

A nice Gopher win! I was just a kid and spent the whole day cursing the Cyclones from the stands. Earned lots of glares from fans, lots of pats on the back from Dad.

Memorable moment: Darrel faked in injury to stop the clock at the end of the first half so we could kick a field goal. Bonus points to anybody who also remembers that!

Nevertheless . . .

And yet...the MWC owned the Pac-10 last year.......

The BCS needs to go.......

1st non-conference road win vs. a "Big Six", if you will or would rather, conference.

ENJOY IT !!!!!

We beat Syracuse in the Carrier Dome under Wacker--1996? Tyrone Carter had 2 (or was it 3?) fumble recoveries for TDs as a freshman

We beat Syracuse in the Carrier Dome under Wacker--1996? Tyrone Carter had 2 (or was it 3?) fumble recoveries for TDs as a freshman

That was at our dome. I was at that game. It was in 96 the day before the Vikes/Pack game at the dome which I also attended. :D

And yet...the MWC owned the Pac-10 last year.......

The BCS needs to go.......

The MWC conference owned the Pac10 last year...they also have 3 teams ranked in the top 25 (BYU, Utah, TCU). Utah crushed Bama in the Sugar Bowl last year, BYU beats OU tonight. Yet the Big East has ZERO teams ranked in the top 25 and will get an automatic BCS bowl. Ish.

The MWC conference owned the Pac10 last year...they also have 3 teams ranked in the top 25 (BYU, Utah, TCU). Utah crushed Bama in the Sugar Bowl last year, BYU beats OU tonight. Yet the Big East has ZERO teams ranked in the top 25 and will get an automatic BCS bowl. Ish.

I've been calling for the BCS's head since day 1.......

The system is just stupid & biased.......

Nope.........., I love the BCS, otherwise we wouldnt have anything to argue about all year...the so-called "flawed" system is what keeps college football the best sport in the country in my opinion. Every game matters, if Oklahoma had the hopes of just making the top 8 or 16 by the end of the year to get into the playoff, their loss to BYU wouldnt seem so bad, but it is, because who knows if they will be able to make up for it....every game matters, so much more than in the NFL, thats why we love college football....right?

Nope.........., I love the BCS, otherwise we wouldnt have anything to argue about all year...the so-called "flawed" system is what keeps college football the best sport in the country in my opinion. Every game matters, if Oklahoma had the hopes of just making the top 8 or 16 by the end of the year to get into the playoff, their loss to BYU wouldnt seem so bad, but it is, because who knows if they will be able to make up for it....every game matters, so much more than in the NFL, thats why we love college football....right?

I agree that what makes NCAA football the best sport in the country is that the regular season is a defacto playoff. I would only favor a playoff if the pre-requisite was that you won your conference.

I agree that what makes NCAA football the best sport in the country is that the regular season is a defacto playoff. I would only favor a playoff if the pre-requisite was that you won your conference.

How about an 8 team playoff, with the top 8 conference champions?

How about an 8 team playoff, with the top 8 conference champions?

That would make no sense. There are five major conferences and two halves of major conferences. Creating the highest reward in college football (a tournament bid) only to bestow it upon 3 teams strictly for playing in crap conferences would ruin the sport.

every game matters......friggin what?

BYU beat oklahoma last night and if they run the table it dont matter........they cant get into a playoff or play for it all...if BYU goes undefeated they will not be in the championship

oklahoma could now get bradford back after his injury and run the table and have one loss and they could very well be out of it......lose your qb for 3 quarters and you are done

college football is laughable

there are at least 100 teams right now who could run the table and cant win it all because they start so far back in the polls ..........and some people support this schit

Abandon the BCS.

every game matters......friggin what?

BYU beat oklahoma last night and if they run the table it dont matter........they cant get into a playoff or play for it all...if BYU goes undefeated they will not be in the championship

oklahoma could now get bradford back after his injury and run the table and have one loss and they could very well be out of it......lose your qb for 3 quarters and you are done

college football is laughable

there are at least 100 teams right now who could run the table and cant win it all because they start so far back in the polls ..........and some people support this schit

AND give up on a play-off. 99% of the fun of college football is the arguing over who is better. 8 team play-off? The 9th & 10th teams will bitch and whine about not getting in. There is no way to solve it that will actually solve it. If we go back to the old Bowl System and let the bowls sort it out, we'd be in a better situation than we are now.

Yes, the BYU, Utah, etc of the world would be on the outside looking in, but then again, if any one of them played in the SEC, ACC (now), Big 12, or Big Ten, they would not go undefeated. The disparity is not as great as it used to be, but the depth of the current BCS conferences makes all the difference.

Don't believe me? Penn State, Miami, Florida State all were dominant on the national stage until they ended up in conferences that had talent from top to bottom.

A great team can get through weak ass scheduling while playing two or three games a year nicely spread out fairly easily. It's something completely different to play teams week in and week out that have the actual chance of beating you. The top teams in the MWC are pretty good. The rest of the conference helps inflate how good they are.

BAck to the original topic, how many BCS teams have we actually played on the road since 1989? I suppose Wacker played several but I bet Baylor is the only team (other than Cal the last year) that Mason ever played on the road, or period for that matter. So that's 10 years where we never had a shot to win a game like that regardless if we were good enough.

BAck to the original topic, how many BCS teams have we actually played on the road since 1989? I suppose Wacker played several but I bet Baylor is the only team (other than Cal the last year) that Mason ever played on the road, or period for that matter. So that's 10 years where we never had a shot to win a game like that regardless if we were good enough.

OOC Road Games vs BCS Opponents
89: Iowa State (W 30-20) :)
90: Nebraska (L 0-56) :mad:
91: Colorado (L 0-58) :mad:
92: Pitt (L 33-41) :(
94: Kansas State (L 0-35) :mad:
95: Syracuse (L 17-27) :(
00: Baylor (W 34-9) :)
06: Cal (L 17-42) :(
09: Syracuse (W 23-20) :cool:

Great Memories

1989 @ Iowa State.

A nice Gopher win! I was just a kid and spent the whole day cursing the Cyclones from the stands. Earned lots of glares from fans, lots of pats on the back from Dad.

Memorable moment: Darrel faked in injury to stop the clock at the end of the first half so we could kick a field goal. Bonus points to anybody who also remembers that!

I was a "U" Soph that year and my dad got tickets to the game from an atty who wanted some work from his company. I went with Dad and lil brother. We had tickets to a private booster tent and seats on the 50 about midway up. My bother and I cheered like nuts all day, when Darrell faked the injury to get the FG team on the field, a guy about 60 decided he'd heard enough from us and started riding us hard. We had a couple in front of us who asked us to stop cheering for the Gophers so the old guy would shut up, but once he was on us we ramped up the cheering (polite, but loud and maybe a little too excited but still). Finally, as time expired, the old guy was totally exasperated and screamed "F'ing Minnesota Cheaters!!!!" at the top of his lungs at us. As we started filing out, he gave one more scream of "wait until you play Iowa!". This guy was decked out in Cyclone gear, which was somewhat rare in those days. It had to kill him to spew that last line at us. Remembering that day (and Darrell jogging off the field following the FG at half) always makes me smile. :)

If bowl games count as "away" games, then we won some of those since then against BCS opponents.

Top Bottom