Last Dance for the ACC/Big Ten Challenge - 2022

I'm cool with it as long as there's another challenge in the works. It's time for something new.

I'd assume Big Ten will connect with Big XII in the near future.
The Big XII is arguably a better basketball conference anyway.

It had gotten stale. How many times can we play Florida State? A challenge with the Big 12 or Pac 12 will be fine. The only issue is they don't have 14/16 teams so we may get left out some years.

Trying to recall without looking it up, these are the ACC teams I don't think the Gophers ever played in the challenge:

Duke
NC State
North Carolina
Notre Dame
Louisville
Syracuse

Also, did play Maryland before they joined the Big 10.

Personal highlight for me was Georgia Tech in 2002. Barn was rockin' that night.

No shocker this will end. ESPN is not interested in promoting Big Ten games in the future after the new TV deal was announced.

FOX will likely broker a new challenge. FOX will keep Gavitt Games and will likely get Big 12 involved with Big 10 in a new series. FOX holds some TV rights in Big 10, Big 12 and Big East.

I'm good with the ACC games going away. Played FSU 6 times, Virginia (before they were good) 4 times, and Clemson 3 times. That's enough.

Let's see some new blood. Kansas State, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, BYU, Cincy, Texas Tech, West Virginia, Oklahoma, TCU are all likely potential opponents. If we get a Kansas, Texas, Baylor, even better.

Last edited:

No shocker this will end. ESPN is not interested in promoting Big Ten games in the future after the new TV deal was announced.

FOX will likely broker a new challenge. FOX will keep Gavitt Games and will likely get Big 12 involved with Big 10 in a new series. FOX holds some TV rights in Big 10, Big 12 and Big East.

I'm good with the ACC games going away. Played FSU 6 times, Virginia (before they were good) 4 times, and Clemson 3 times. That's enough.

Let's see some new blood. Kansas State, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, BYU, Cincy, Texas Tech, West Virginia, Oklahoma, TCU are all likely potential opponents. If we get a Kansas, Texas, Baylor, even better.
I wonder is Iowa vs Iowa St would always be considered part of such a challenge or if that would be extra.

Bolded are SEC teams. I do think Houston is coming on board though - wouldn't it be interesting to see Sampson back in Bloomington?

A matchup with the Big 12 would be fun.

I'm cool with it as long as there's another challenge in the works. It's time for something new.

I'd assume Big Ten will connect with Big XII in the near future.
Kind of bummer for Gopher fans, having played back-to-back games in the ACC gyms (Pitt & VaTech) they were due a game at Williams Arena.

2020 hosted BC, but no fans due to COVID. Last time Barn faithful got to see a game as part of the event, 2019, a victory over Clemson.

The Big XII is arguably a better basketball conference anyway.

That's probably true from the standpoint of having more consistent quality throughout the conference but, of course, it's a smaller conference. The ACC does have some really weak teams at the bottom.

Top Bottom