Larry Johnson Sr. to Make $1.13M as Ohio State DL Coach in 2020

Mitu

Reaction score
giphy.gif

Source

It's a lot for a position coach, but at least the guy has paid his dues and the position coaches work their tails off. Compared to all the pro athletes who ride pine and work way less for more than that, it's fair.

It's a lot for a position coach, but at least the guy has paid his dues and the position coaches work their tails off. Compared to all the pro athletes who ride pine and work way less for more than that, it's fair.
Yeah those pro athletes have a real cushy gig ?

Yeah those pro athletes have a real cushy gig ?

A lot of players in the NFL (the hardest league for players) work out a lot, go to practice, run the opposing team's offense/defense, don't do much live hitting, and then maybe run down and cover a few kicks. More time than anything is spent in meetings. If someone gets hurt they play a game or two. Then they get 7 months off.

They get paid like Larry Johnson Sr. will get paid for having 25 years of B1G experience in his field and working 60-80+ hour weeks traveling all over the country during the offseason and in the film room all season. Maybe a month off, if that.

With all due respect the thread title kind of missed the key point of the story.

Ohio State now has 4 of its 10 assistant coaches making over 1 million. The salaries for head and assistant coaches are growing at an insane rate with apparently no end in sight.

If you are a coach who is not desperate to be a head coach you can just snag a high level position coach gig and make more then head coaches at most of the non-power 5 schools.

Ohio State now has 4 of its 10 assistant coaches making over 1 million. The salaries for head and assistant coaches are growing at an insane rate with apparently no end in sight.
It makes perfect sense for schools like Ohio St, Alabama, Texas A&M, etc. that are literally trucking in the cash.

They have to work furiously, on spending that money on something, it make it look like the athletic dept is just barely breaking even. Then they can claim they have no money to give players more.

With all due respect the thread title kind of missed the key point of the story.

If you are a coach who is not desperate to be a head coach you can just snag a high level position coach gig and make more then head coaches at most of the non-power 5 schools.

Fair point, but OCs and DCs making $1M+ is not new. Heck, we were slated to pay Ciarocca $1M+ before he left. However, a position coach making $1M+ is more unusual.

Fair point, but OCs and DCs making $1M+ is not new. Heck, we were slated to pay Ciarocca $1M+ before he left. However, a position coach making $1M+ is more unusual.

It's unusual but worth it. The list of DL that he has coached over the course of his career is incredible. He is likely the greatest position coach in the history of college football. I know that sounds bizarre, but it's likely true.

The guy is 67 years old. If you have him, you can pretty guarantee you'll have the best DL in the country. Ohio State is likely bidding against retirement and the NFL for this guy.

But then you can always question if he actually makes those guys such great players, or if he just happened to be the coach with the best talent being injected into his room.

What does he do that no other coach in the country has figured out? I doubt it.

It's unusual but worth it. The list of DL that he has coached over the course of his career is incredible. He is likely the greatest position coach in the history of college football. I know that sounds bizarre, but it's likely true.

The guy is 67 years old. If you have him, you can pretty guarantee you'll have the best DL in the country. Ohio State is likely bidding against retirement and the NFL for this guy.
The perfect place to have stopped. Do you have any idea how many position coaches there have been in the history of college football? Me neither. Your hyperbole surprises a bit, you seem better grounded than that.

The perfect place to have stopped. Do you have any idea how many position coaches there have been in the history of college football? Me neither. Your hyperbole surprises a bit, you seem better grounded than that.
It's really not that crazy of a statement. Who would you rank higher off the top of your head? You realize somebody is the greatest, why not him?

I don't, but I know that the kinds and amount of NFL caliber DL he has coached is unprecedented.

It's extraordinary and I can't think of another position coach that has that kind of success rate. So when people are doing things that have never been done before, I'm not sure if it's hyperbole to say that they might be the best to have ever done it.

I obviously realize that it's a bold statement, but Larry Johnson Sr. track record really is remarkable.

It's really not that crazy of a statement. Who would you rank higher off the top of your head? You realize somebody is the greatest, why not him?

I don't, but I know that the kinds and amount of NFL caliber DL he has coached is unprecedented.

It's extraordinary and I can't think of another position coach that has that kind of success rate. So when people are doing things that have never been done before, I'm not sure if it's hyperbole to say that they might be the best to have ever done it.

I obviously realize that it's a bold statement, but Larry Johnson Sr. track record really is remarkable.

Yep, exactly. Dont get me wrong, if you're going to pay a position coach 7 figures, Larry Johnson Sr. is the guy to pay. His track record speaks for itself. Tamba Hali, Michael Haynes, Jimmy Kennedy, Courtney Brown, the Bosa brothers, Chase Young...

Yep, exactly. Dont get me wrong, if you're going to pay a position coach 7 figures, Larry Johnson Sr. is the guy to pay. His track record speaks for itself. Tamba Hali, Michael Haynes, Jimmy Kennedy, Courtney Brown, the Bosa brothers, Chase Young...
Those were going to be gifted college players, no matter who the coach was.

The thought experiment to do is, what would be Johnson Sr's Value Above Replacement, for some other coach? What does he do, that nobody else in the country has figured out? I doubt much if anything. But who knows.

Top Bottom