Lansing State Journal on Fleck

Didn't realize how important Michigan State was to Fleck and his wife.

"In the Big Ten, perfection isn’t required to achieve your goals. The Gophers came close in 2019. This season, they’re starting to look like a reasonable pick to win the West Division, though Saturday in East Lansing is by far their toughest test to date.

The goal at Minnesota, Fleck said, is to find “value in the journey” but also “have visions and dreams and goals that truly freak people out.”

“I think we’re right in the thick of it,” he said. “You can’t sit there and say we’re in the middle of it actually happening. But we’re giving ourselves a chance.”

Nowadays, Fleck says he can answer “why." He can explain the purpose for everything.

“Back then (in 2013), I did it because I thought it was the right thing to do. And it was our way. But I don’t know if I necessarily had the exact ‘why. I had it, but I don’t know if I could prove it to them.

“Trust comes down to three things – time, consistency and proof and you didn't have any of it (back then). So even the way you did it, you know it works. But do you actually have proof to everyone else that it can work?”

He can prove it now, as he returns to the place it all began."

My wife, Heather, I mean she had more green (MSU gear) in her closet than she knew what to do with before I met her,” Fleck said. “And so we'll have a lot of family back there. We'll have a lot of friends back there..

After you have been exposed to Salem, Wacker, Brewster, you start to think things will not work out, but PJ has me believing he is here for the long haul, has grown, and has this all headed in the right direction. There is no cool aid here folks, this is the real deal.

PJ provided coaching stability at MN where there had been confusion and disorder for years.
His schtick is not for everyone so his potential job opportunities are somewhat limited.

PJ provided coaching stability at MN where there had been confusion and disorder for years.
His schtick is not for everyone so his potential job opportunities are somewhat limited.
I agree with you for the most part, though I think if he shows he can win at a high level consistently, other programs and boosters will start to look pas the "schtick" and will throw serious money at him. I don't want to lose him, but at least if we do lose him I think it means he was highly successful here and the program will be left in great shape.

I agree with this.
Even under kill who I think did a very good job it was chaos and disorder at times (I don’t blame kill for that) because of the health issues that led to interim coaches and one year of claeys.

After you have been exposed to Salem, Wacker, Brewster, you start to think things will not work out, but PJ has me believing he is here for the long haul, has grown, and has this all headed in the right direction. There is no cool aid here folks, this is the real deal.
Very, very true.

Top Bottom