Lane Kiffin says Texas A&M should have to pay a luxury tax for what they spent on their recruits this year.

The cracks in the expanded SEC are already beginning to show, and the heavies haven’t even arrived yet.

Last edited:

Kiffin is an expert at sticking the needle in.
I keep forgetting what conference TA&M is in.
Their alumni are rich, loyal and reactionary.

Maybe this why 5 of the A and M assistants were listed(by 247 Sports) as in the top 25 recruiters in the nation. it must be easier to recruit when you can offer more benefits.

Kiffin couldn’t climb the mountain with all the resources in the world and national top-rated classes at USC.

It‘s not them, it’s you.
Kiffin definitely got a lot of jobs he didn't deserve in his younger days, but he has matured and turned into a pretty damn good coach now. Taking Ole Miss to a NY6 game is a pretty good accomplishment.

Kiffin definitely got a lot of jobs he didn't deserve in his younger days, but he has matured and turned into a pretty damn good coach now. Taking Ole Miss to a NY6 game is a pretty good accomplishment.
Yeah all things considered I think they were still on probation when he took over, not even sure he's recruited with a full deck down there yet.

Yeah all things considered I think they were still on probation when he took over, not even sure he's recruited with a full deck down there yet.
And my timeline may be off but I think he was dealing with some of the fallout of the post-Carroll sanctions at USC.

He was also the first coach to get his team 100% vaccinated, in Mississippi of all places. He really has grown from an arrogant entitled young man to a strange goofy somewhat likeable middle-aged guy.

And my timeline may be off but I think he was dealing with some of the fallout of the post-Carroll sanctions at USC.
Not at first, but I think USC got hammered by his second or third year in. Hindsight I think he should have stayed at Tennessee, but life has a funny way of putting anyone where they need to be when they need to be there and I think Kiffin has through a lot of trial and user error has found his spot.

The cracks in the expanded SEC are already beginning to show, and the heavies haven’t even arrived yet.
Based on TA&M in the SEC and on CFP results, I'm not sure that Alabama's/Georgia's are too worried about UT and OU.

I think TA&M is right up there with UT, in terms of the richest athletic depts in the nation. Like #1 and #2?

Based on TA&M in the SEC and on CFP results, I'm not sure that Alabama's/Georgia's are too worried about UT and OU.

I think TA&M is right up there with UT, in terms of the richest athletic depts in the nation. Like #1 and #2?
I believe that's correct.

In 2009 Kiffin was at UT and Spurrier was at South Carolina. They played each other that year. UT won 31-13. I wonder how much trash talking was going on that week. It must have been classic.

I agree the sanctions were serious and damaging but the talent level was so high that in 2012 even with the loss of scholarships USC returned 18 starters and 13 All-Conference performers from a team that finished the 2011 season ranked No. 6 in the AP Poll. They finished 7-6 and unranked, the only preseason #1 to do so. He started 2013 rough and was fired. Recruiting wasn’t quite at Carroll levels either.

I haven’t really followed him since although I get the sense he’s having more success as an underdog.

I agree the sanctions were serious and damaging but the talent level was so high that in 2012 even with the loss of scholarships USC returned 18 starters and 13 All-Conference performers from a team that finished the 2011 season ranked No. 6 in the AP Poll. They finished 7-6 and unranked, the only preseason #1 to do so. He started 2013 rough and was fired. Recruiting wasn’t quite at Carroll levels either.

I haven’t really followed him since although I get the sense he’s having more success as an underdog.
Sorry, had to chuckle a little at the recruiting not being at Carroll levels. Now granted, I have no doubt Lane was bending/breaking rules as much as possible but he just hadn't perfected it to the same level as Carroll. :)

Just circle LA and you'll have enough to win the PAC-12 most every year. Bruin for four years. Trojan for life...

Adding Texas A&M was like the Big Ten adding Penn State. Solid program, but not a new alpha.

TX football already generates far more revenue than Alabama. Once in the SEC it will probably be almost twice the size of Alabama, and Oklahoma will be similar to Georgia.

Of course, it remains to be seen if either will be able to compete on the field. Though, Texas A&M improved, and Missouri’s performance wasn’t effected.

We’ll see how bothered everyone really is by this once they announce the new divisional alignment. They can call them “pods” all they want, but the practical implication of adding TX and OK is that Alabama and Auburn move into GA, FL, and TN’s very crowded backyard.

Adding Texas A&M was like the Big Ten adding Penn State. Solid program, but not a new alpha.

TX football already generates far more revenue than Alabama. Once in the SEC it will probably be almost twice the size of Alabama, and Oklahoma will be similar to Georgia.

Of course, it remains to be seen if either will be able to compete on the field. Though, Texas A&M improved, and Missouri’s performance wasn’t effected.

We’ll see how bothered everyone really is by this once they announce the new divisional alignment. They can call them “pods” all they want, but the practical implication of adding TX and OK is that Alabama and Auburn move into GA, FL, and TN’s very crowded backyard.
I'm not sure that the SEC East is more difficult than the SEC West minus the Alabama schools. But, we shall see how it turns out.

Just circle LA and you'll have enough to win the PAC-12 most every year. Bruin for four years. Trojan for life...

USC clearly has the potential to rival the southeastern schools when everything clicks and recruits don’t flee the state. I’m not convinced the new coach is worth his contract and the guy to get it done but there will be no excuses and the recruits should be plentiful going forward. If he can upset the current balance of power and the SEC cannibalizes itself that is more entertaining and a win.

USC clearly has the potential to rival the southeastern schools when everything clicks and recruits don’t flee the state. I’m not convinced the new coach is worth his contract and the guy to get it done but there will be no excuses and the recruits should be plentiful going forward. If he can upset the current balance of power and the SEC cannibalizes itself that is more entertaining and a win.
Hopefully wild fires won't impact the off season training and the season itself. Wild fires are kind of crazy right now in Laguna Hills.

Top Bottom