Lamborghinis lined up outside the Texas athletic facility where recruits enter for their official visits this weekend.

I would love to see a breakdown of where NIL money comes from. What percent, by individual donations and in aggregate, is from F500 corporations, small businesses run by alums/fans, individual wealthy boosters, individual fans, etc. It would also be interesting to see how that changes by region, conference, or school.

There is a lot of NIL money flowing in and I think it would be fascinating and perhaps eye opening to really understand it. It’s easy to say “just have a Phil Knight or T. Boone Pickens,” but I think that’s the exception not the norm.
I agree. Most schools don't have a single whale donor like Oregon, Ok. State, and Miami do.

But there are lots of extremely wealthy people in places like Texas that can afford to toss a few million here and there at teams, and that adds up.

While the dealer or whomever is funding this circus can certainly afford the hit the leases are around $3Kmo + upfront cash 30-40K. How many are we talking here…at some point even a dealer is going to balk a little bit. Insurance for your average idiot teenage male, dunno but probably approaches $2k per month (or should). Maintenance costs, new tires, new rims, new splitters after running on Texas roads all $$$.

We can laugh at this marketing stunt all we want but yeah…I had a Countach poster as an adolescent kid LOL 🤷‍♂️. This type is beyond senseless: off a racetrack, or impressing a certain type of lady (or guy) but it’s sure to work.

Maybe these are golf tourney courtesy car leftovers.:LOL:

But if you oppose this absurdity, you are "old!" You are "boring" and not "cool like the 20-somethings" who don't know their head from their butt! Only idiots support this nonsense.
Dude it's just some cars sitting outside of a building, it's not that deep.

I think they lease the Lambos and let the kids use them during the lease period. Insurance must be sky high. Total cost is probably, what, $1200 to $1500 per month per Lambo? Do-able, if that is what you think will convince a kid to play football at your program. But what it says about your program is pretty stomach-turning.
Leasing a Lamborghini is not 1200-1500 a month. Maybe multiply that by 8 to 10. Leasing a Yukon Denali is 1k a month. 1.5 to 2 percent of a cars value at a minimum per month plus tax and insurance would be in the 10k range I would bet.

Dude it's just some cars sitting outside of a building, it's not that deep.
You don't think they are given to the players? They're just sitting there?

Imagine caring how other people spend their discretionary income.
Hey don't really care, but I can still find it amusing. I don't need to care about the guy pouring over what lottery tickets to buy at the gas stations to think it's silly.

You don't think they are given to the players? They're just sitting there?
No idea, but I don’t really care either way. If someone wants to give a kid a Lamborghini to play football I’m not going to lose my mind over it.

No idea, but I don’t really care either way. If someone wants to give a kid a Lamborghini to play football I’m not going to lose my mind over it.
Losing your mind over it and discussing what it means for college sports and the Gophers are 2 different things.

Leasing a Lamborghini is not 1200-1500 a month. Maybe multiply that by 8 to 10. Leasing a Yukon Denali is 1k a month. 1.5 to 2 percent of a cars value at a minimum per month plus tax and insurance would be in the 10k range I would bet.
Yep. At the lowest end, a Lambo is a $230,000 car.

Nick Saban bought a Lambo dealership and retired.

I feel bad for the recruits that aren't offered a Lambo.

I wonder how many cars the average Lambo dealer even sells in a year. The market has to be small.
Nick Saban bought a Lambo dealership and retired.

I feel bad for the recruits that aren't offered a Lambo.

I wonder how many cars the average Lambo dealer even sells in a year. The market has to be small.
About 3500 sold in the US in 2022 (most recent year I could find). Compare that to 54,000 Corvettes. PS the new Vette is faster than a Lambo.

About 3500 sold in the US in 2022 (most recent year I could find). Compare that to 54,000 Corvettes. PS the new Vette is faster than a Lambo.
3,000 in 2023. Sold just over 10K total. 6K were its SUV.

Top Bottom