Lamborghinis lined up outside the Texas athletic facility where recruits enter for their official visits this weekend.

I’m OK with the “sorting out” of schools that NIL, particularly gross NIL excesses, is producing. The Gophers are now clearly in the camp of schools that assemble teams of student athletes rather than highly-paid mercenaries. I feel as thought the Gophers are currently in a situation like that of the true amateur US Olympic hockey teams which had to play against essentially professional teams from Russia, etc. Some will lament the fact that the Gophers lack boosters who are willing throw millions and millions of dollars away each year on NIL bribes to the top football players in the nation. But I will take pride in the fact that the Gopher football fields teams of student athletes who can compete with, and sometimes defeat, professional teams. Gopher football still has a soul; Texas football appears to have sold its soul.

I would love to see a breakdown of where NIL money comes from. What percent, by individual donations and in aggregate, is from F500 corporations, small businesses run by alums/fans, individual wealthy boosters, individual fans, etc. It would also be interesting to see how that changes by region, conference, or school.

There is a lot of NIL money flowing in and I think it would be fascinating and perhaps eye opening to really understand it. It’s easy to say “just have a Phil Knight or T. Boone Pickens,” but I think that’s the exception not the norm.

I would love to see a breakdown of where NIL money comes from. What percent, by individual donations and in aggregate, is from F500 corporations, small businesses run by alums/fans, individual wealthy boosters, individual fans, etc. It would also be interesting to see how that changes by region, conference, or school.

There is a lot of NIL money flowing in and I think it would be fascinating and perhaps eye opening to really understand it. It’s easy to say “just have a Phil Knight or T. Boone Pickens,” but I think that’s the exception not the norm.
Without a doubt the south will dominate NIL with widespread participation in the fan base. It will make the line worker believe he helped get “number 22” in a Longhorn jersey. Culturally, they just care about this a lot more than we Midwest people saving for retirement and giving to church, school and children’s charities do.

I will find it very interesting when they research whether it made sense economically for the big givers to participate, I. E did they get any return on “contracting “ with players. Some will, I’m sure. But I bet most won’t. And maybe not care.

If people are dumb enough to give their money to buy college football and basketball players, it’s their right. And the rest of us are within our rights to laugh at that them.

How long before a newly signed recruit kills themselves or someone else in their new Lamborghini?

How long before a newly signed recruit kills themselves or someone else in their new Lamborghini?
Henry Ruggs did this pretty quickly, then Rashee Rice copied him, though thankfully he didn't kill anyone.

The gate revenue from one or two of the Timberwolves WCF games could put the entire Gopher team in Lambos, even the backup kicker's ball holder.

This is where teams in places without pro sports (like Austin, TX) will have huge advantages. There's a finite amount of money to be spent and a finite number of sports marketing opportunities. In Minnesota those will go to the Vikings, T-Wolves, and the rest of the city's incredible number of pro sports teams in absolutely every sport, even AAA baseball and arena football and women's hockey, and so on.

The gate revenue from one or two of the Timberwolves WCF games could put the entire Gopher team in Lambos, even the backup kicker's ball holder.

This is where teams in places without pro sports (like Austin, TX) will have huge advantages. There's a finite amount of money to be spent and a finite number of sports marketing opportunities. In Minnesota those will go to the Vikings, T-Wolves, and the rest of the city's incredible number of pro sports teams in absolutely every sport, even AAA baseball and arena football and women's hockey, and so on.
Like...a jock strap?

Ok ... maybe I missed this. Did they say they were actually giving recruits these cars if they signed there? Or just enticing them with what may or could happen?

Ok ... maybe I missed this. Did they say they were actually giving recruits these cars if they signed there? Or just enticing them with what may or could happen?
I think they lease the Lambos and let the kids use them during the lease period. Insurance must be sky high. Total cost is probably, what, $1200 to $1500 per month per Lambo? Do-able, if that is what you think will convince a kid to play football at your program. But what it says about your program is pretty stomach-turning.

Wow ... I thought it was a big deal when I played way back in the 70's when they gave me free running shoes and cleats. I guess we were cheap dates. :LOL:

depends on when Georgia decides to do this as that may greatly speed up the process

this whole move will appeal to some kids/families (and probably be a turnoff to some kids/families as well). in all honesty, if seeing lambos/the possibility of driving one makes you commit to that school, that's probably not the kid PJ is trying to recruit (nor one that you really are looking to recruit to MN in general).

I think they lease the Lambos and let the kids use them during the lease period. Insurance must be sky high. Total cost is probably, what, $1200 to $1500 per month per Lambo? Do-able, if that is what you think will convince a kid to play football at your program. But what it says about your program is pretty stomach-turning.

While the dealer or whomever is funding this circus can certainly afford the hit the leases are around $3Kmo + upfront cash 30-40K. How many are we talking here…at some point even a dealer is going to balk a little bit. Insurance for your average idiot teenage male, dunno but probably approaches $2k per month (or should). Maintenance costs, new tires, new rims, new splitters after running on Texas roads all $$$.

We can laugh at this marketing stunt all we want but yeah…I had a Countach poster as an adolescent kid LOL 🤷‍♂️. This type is beyond senseless: off a racetrack, or impressing a certain type of lady (or guy) but it’s sure to work.

But, the Gopher Football Program will not sell anybody out to buy it's future!!!!!

And that, my friends, is called integrity.
images

But if you oppose this absurdity, you are "old!" You are "boring" and not "cool like the 20-somethings" who don't know their head from their butt! Only idiots support this nonsense.

I’m OK with the “sorting out” of schools that NIL, particularly gross NIL excesses, is producing. The Gophers are now clearly in the camp of schools that assemble teams of student athletes rather than highly-paid mercenaries. I feel as thought the Gophers are currently in a situation like that of the true amateur US Olympic hockey teams which had to play against essentially professional teams from Russia, etc. Some will lament the fact that the Gophers lack boosters who are willing throw millions and millions of dollars away each year on NIL bribes to the top football players in the nation. But I will take pride in the fact that the Gopher football fields teams of student athletes who can compete with, and sometimes defeat, professional teams. Gopher football still has a soul; Texas football appears to have sold its soul.
"Soul." That's a good one. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Remind me what this alleged "soul" has to do with winning games.

Top Bottom