Lack of radio options outside the Twin Cities

joekulas12

Reaction score
During the CSU game, I was driving from Minneapolis back to my home in Fargo, and I could not listen to the game at all past St. Cloud. I know there is a frequency for that area (1390 AM), but the quality was more awful the closer I moved to Alexandria. When you get past Alexandria, closer to Fergus Falls, there is no option to listen to the Gopher game. As a true fan who does not live in the metro area, this really upsets me, and I think the University really needs to address this issue ASAP.

My hometown is East Grand Forks, and again, there is no radio option to listen to the Gophers in that area. I understand there is UND and NDSU markets in that area, but there is still a strong faction of Gopher fans in that area that is being left out in the cold. The CSU game is a great example of how the U is not catering to its fans because many fans did not even have that channel. I know the U probably did not have much say in that game being on CBS Sports Network, but they still should have the option for anyone in the state of Minnesota to hear the Gophers game on the radio.

I might be wrong but I believe you could listen on Iheart radio. KFAN. I think Gopher games are allowed on Iheart. Vikings are not but Gophers are.

Have also had issues in that area. Not really a good quality stream that comes through there (and I rolled through all the AM and FM stations) and iHeart doesn't carry the Gopher games (at least not that I've gotten to work). I could also be wrong on that. As far as in the EGF area, I've gotten radio to work there much more successfully. We usually pick up the TRF broadcast or even sometimes out of Bemidji and this has always worked for us.

There are issues down here in the southeast also. Weak signals on the few stations that do carry them with signals going in and out. I can pick up the Badgers or Hawkeyes on multiple stations anytime.

There are issues down here in the southeast also. Weak signals on the few stations that do carry them with signals going in and out. I can pick up the Badgers or Hawkeyes on multiple stations anytime.

You can listen to Gophers sports on 106.5 FM out of Ada. Their signal is strong in the Fargo area. The only problem is they sometimes pre-empt the Gophers for a Harwood-Cass County volleyball game.

During the CSU game, I was driving from Minneapolis back to my home in Fargo, and I could not listen to the game at all past St. Cloud. I know there is a frequency for that area (1390 AM), but the quality was more awful the closer I moved to Alexandria. When you get past Alexandria, closer to Fergus Falls, there is no option to listen to the Gopher game. As a true fan who does not live in the metro area, this really upsets me, and I think the University really needs to address this issue ASAP.

My hometown is East Grand Forks, and again, there is no radio option to listen to the Gophers in that area. I understand there is UND and NDSU markets in that area, but there is still a strong faction of Gopher fans in that area that is being left out in the cold. The CSU game is a great example of how the U is not catering to its fans because many fans did not even have that channel. I know the U probably did not have much say in that game being on CBS Sports Network, but they still should have the option for anyone in the state of Minnesota to hear the Gophers game on the radio.

They have like 40 stations, so its a fairly large network. There does appear to be some dark areas in the coverage map, but it isn't like the Gophers can make stations carry the games. Fergus Falls station isn't an affiliate. I'm sure they've been approached. My suggestion is you get a grass roots operation and begin emailing/phoning stations in the state to urge them to become affiliates. There is no affiliate in Mankato. That is ridiculous. Not the Gophers' fault, though. That's the fault that no station in Mankato sees a value in attaching itself to Gopher football.

A few things to remember:

1) All Gopher football games are on iHeart Radio app on your smart phone.
2) All Gopher football games are on satellite radio.
3) All Gopher football games are streamed for free on the internet.
4) You should be able to get the Ada and Mahnomen affiliate in Fargo.
5) As for driving from MSP to Fargo, you should be able to piece together a plan where the game comes in most of the way. With affiliates in Minneapolis, Buffalo, St. Cloud, Little Falls, Glenwood, Alexandria, Park Rapids, Wadena, Detroit Lakes, and Ada, most of the route should be fine.
6) The affiliate in Crookston should get you coverage in East Grand Forks.

Sounds like a business opportunity...fill a need...build/buy some radio stations... or build more cell towers and use the internet and sell advertising or subscriptions. Draft Kings will has the money to sponsor it.

I was able to get the game to work on the iHeart app on my phone last week.

I was on a 10 hour drive last Saturday and listened to the whole thing on iHeartRadio on my smartphone. Worked great, but it did eat up between 0.5-0.75 GB of my data plan. Just another benefit of KFAN having the Gophers, and now that I live out of state it's a big one for me.

Top Bottom